Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:49 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,062 times

Advertisements

As I understand wbc was denied the permit to congregate in front of the church due to lack of sidewalk space. They did try to congregate on 74 and were told by a local offical to move along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:52 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,032,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
As I understand wbc was denied the permit to congregate in front of the church due to lack of sidewalk space. They did try to congregate on 74 and were told by a local offical to move along.
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:26 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Despite the inappropriateness of their choice of time and place to protest, I could at least understand it if they were what was referred to in the late 60s and early 70s as "peackniks" - or "war protestors." But they aren't. They are just claiming the spotlight at military funerals as a way to spread their hate-filled message.
It's not a good or even correct comparison as that implies there is something wrong with protesting war. During the Vietnam war young men were being drafted involuntarily and sent to the front lines. 65,000+ Americans died and there were protests from all quarters. This is what engagement means and there is no similar sacrifice being forced on people today. The biggest difference of that time to now, is that all things military were not worshiped and not questioned. The other difference is that Nicholas O'brien would have been mourned as a victim instead of a hero.

I'm not sure how it has happened but somewhere in the last generation or so, people have been thoroughly brainwashed to believe the wars we are fighting now are somehow necessary or just. Dropping bombs and killing babies, as we did earlier in the week in Libya, doesn't seem like something a country of ours should be involved in, but it happened, the rest of the world is outraged, yet here in the USA, it's not even being discussed. There is a huge difference between what happened in the 60s and early 70s vs. now.

I do think the WBC is protesting the war and ironically I don't think they even realize it. However in this world we have now of black and white, draw a line and you are either with us or against us, their message completely distracts people from even thinking about the real issue. That issue should be a discussion about the relevance of Mr. O'brians death along with 1000s of others, and what can be done to prevent politicians in to deal with the issue to end it. It's never going to happen these days because we are too lost in waving the American flag, and arguing with our own religious extremists but by legal means because they are not Muslims.

Last edited by yantosh22; 06-21-2011 at 01:42 AM..

Old 06-21-2011, 05:12 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
It's not a good or even correct comparison as that implies there is something wrong with protesting war. During the Vietnam war young men were being drafted involuntarily and sent to the front lines. 65,000+ Americans died and there were protests from all quarters. This is what engagement means and there is no similar sacrifice being forced on people today. The biggest difference of that time to now, is that all things military were not worshiped and not questioned. The other difference is that Nicholas O'brien would have been mourned as a victim instead of a hero.

I'm not sure how it has happened but somewhere in the last generation or so, people have been thoroughly brainwashed to believe the wars we are fighting now are somehow necessary or just. Dropping bombs and killing babies, as we did earlier in the week in Libya, doesn't seem like something a country of ours should be involved in, but it happened, the rest of the world is outraged, yet here in the USA, it's not even being discussed. There is a huge difference between what happened in the 60s and early 70s vs. now.

I do think the WBC is protesting the war and ironically I don't think they even realize it. However in this world we have now of black and white, draw a line and you are either with us or against us, their message completely distracts people from even thinking about the real issue. That issue should be a discussion about the relevance of Mr. O'brians death along with 1000s of others, and what can be done to prevent politicians in to deal with the issue to end it. It's never going to happen these days because we are too lost in waving the American flag, and arguing with our own religious extremists but by legal means because they are not Muslims.
I was not implying anything about it not being acceptable or appropriate for folks who wish to protest a war to protest it.

I was simply saying . . . if they wanted to protest the war and did it in some manner that made sense - instead of this weird garbled up "message' about God, homosexuality and the military, then maybe folks could understand why they even bother. But as it is - their message is totally unclear except that we get the idea that they 1. hate homosexuals 2. hate soldiers and their families and 3. think God finds hate speech a good thing.

I don't really see how the things they scream about and the words they have smeared on posters have a thing to do wtih protesting wars. They are nonsensical as far as I am concerned. They are just rabble rousers. It appears they are doing what they do just to prove they can do it.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:43 AM

1,661 posts, read 3,286,491 times
It's an abstraction to be sure, but needless to say, if this party had died prior to 9-11, we would not be talking about it, and the WBC would be railing against Gays or whatever by a different means.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
It's an abstraction to be sure, but needless to say, if this party had died prior to 9-11, we would not be talking about it, and the WBC would be railing against Gays or whatever by a different means.
Oh yes - I see what you mean. They are just seizing on the war as a "platform" from wh/ to launch their nonsense. Gotcha. AGREE!

Old 06-21-2011, 06:16 PM

587 posts, read 1,624,784 times
I like to believe there's a very special place in the afterlife for people who use "God's word" to hurt others. It makes me feel better somehow.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:29 PM

11 posts, read 13,230 times
As a born-again Christian, I would like to say that I do not (and will never) condone the acts of WBC. They are a disgrace to true Christian believers. No where in the Bible does it talk about doing such things as protests or God hating soldiers. I guess WBC hasn't read John 3:16 lately..."For God so loved the world..."

God will one day deal with them justly and I know that they will be found guilty for the horribly things they've been doing.

Nic, thank you for serving your country. You will be missed by your Charlotte-Gastonia community!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:32 PM

488 posts, read 798,704 times
I am a straight as straight can be but I swear I would stick my tongue down the nearest chick's throat if I ran into the WBC idiots. I am a Libertarian - I believe people should be allowed to do what they want as long as it does not affect others.

Protesting funerals does just that. I am pretty darn sure that God has less of an issue with two people of the same sex being in a relationship than a group of famemongering idiots who twist the word of God for their own agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte