Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 05:17 PM

56 posts, read 158,866 times

Advertisements

Where are the childfree couples in Charlotte. I'm married in our early 30's and finding it hard to meet childfree couples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 07:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcivic View Post
Where are the childfree couples in Charlotte. I'm married in our early 30's and finding it hard to meet childfree couples.
Gosh. I don't know! Are there "child free" zones in other cities?

Just on instinct, I would probably check out housing around the university,as most students don't have children. But other than that . . . ???

Old 07-17-2011, 08:24 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,348 times
They are all in the 55 and over communities.... or is that not what you meant?

Old 07-17-2011, 08:53 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
There should be Meetup groups for CF people. Raleigh has a chapter of "No Kidding", a nationwide CF group--maybe Charlotte does as well?

Well, I just googled it and it looks like the Charlotte chapter has disbanded But I feel certain there are "Meetup.com" groups for Childfree socializing. Or contact the Raleigh chapter and maybe they know something about other chapters in the state? Good luck.

Quote:
Gosh. I don't know! Are there "child free" zones in other cities?
They weren't asking for "childfree zones", but gatherings of adults without children, who don't need to worry about getting babysitters, and where the topic of conversation when you go out together is not always about teething. potty training, or school assignments. Most big cities have such a group or network.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:50 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,222 times
I think a pervasive family culture led to the dissociation of the group. Now all anyone with no kids can do is make up things to do , or travel.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:25 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
There should be Meetup groups for CF people. Raleigh has a chapter of "No Kidding", a nationwide CF group--maybe Charlotte does as well?

Well, I just googled it and it looks like the Charlotte chapter has disbanded But I feel certain there are "Meetup.com" groups for Childfree socializing. Or contact the Raleigh chapter and maybe they know something about other chapters in the state? Good luck.

They weren't asking for "childfree zones", but gatherings of adults without children, who don't need to worry about getting babysitters, and where the topic of conversation when you go out together is not always about teething. potty training, or school assignments. Most big cities have such a group or network.
Just kidding around, so to speak, as children are generally all over the place in every city.

Your suggestion about meet-ups was a good idea.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:25 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
+1 on the meetup groups.....

Old 07-18-2011, 06:47 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,762 times
My wife and I have no kids together. I am 34 and do not have or want kids. She is 50 and has two grown kids.

The wife and I are planning going to the Olde Meck Brewery this coming weekend for their event. Not sure if we are going it alone or if other friends are going too. Let me know if you want to meet up.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,653,737 times
The Go Social Club is a very active meetup group here. I bet if you get involved, you'll meet other couples without kids.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:19 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,768 times
CLT is a very kids oriented city and since is the case it may be difficult to find whole areas where there are couples without kids. My wife and I do not have children and we have many couple friends that also are child free. Most of our friends live closer to inner city in areas where the schools are not the greatest such as NoDA, Plaza Mid, Country Club. My guess would be that most people with kids first look at the schools when deciding where to live. Since most of the areas I mentioned have lousy schools this probably cuts out a lot of families moving in unless they can afford private. It's just a guess but I would say close in areas such as these where there are working professionals and not so great schools might be your best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte