Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 01:07 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Me thinks they would still live in NY if they could afford it. All the other BS about rude, dirty, crime, crowded, and on and on, are all "justification for their move". Makes their head feel better to leave and knock it.

Not a truer statement made...."If I tear it apart, then moving here was best..." mentality
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 05:41 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,157,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Some days it seems like 90% of the people I encounter in Huntersville, Cornelius, & Mooresville are from NYC! I'm not from NY or NYC, but here's a brief summary of my experiences with NY/NYC transplants: They love NY/NYC. They love everything about it. They just don't want to live there anymore. They also love the Charlotte area but complain about it constantly. Not sure I get it...

Anyway, do a forum search and you'll find what you are looking for.
Its simple..I am a perfect case... I love how much it COSTS to live here in Charlotte...everything else is just not NY...but like another poster said, many justify the move by saying all the other stuff sucks when the truth is they'd still be there if the money went far enough up there.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:03 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Its simple..I am a perfect case... I love how much it COSTS to live here in Charlotte...everything else is just not NY...but like another poster said, many justify the move by saying all the other stuff sucks when the truth is they'd still be there if the money went far enough up there.
But why would anyone want to move somewhere, simply on the basis that somewhere else is cheaper, therefore I must go there. That seems like a terribly shallow reason for moving anywhere. I would imagine it would set someone up for major disappointment when they realize there is more to somewhere other than how cheap it's perceived to be.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:28 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,157,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
But why would anyone want to move somewhere, simply on the basis that somewhere else is cheaper, therefore I must go there. That seems like a terribly shallow reason for moving anywhere. I would imagine it would set someone up for major disappointment when they realize there is more to somewhere other than how cheap it's perceived to be.
I agree..but that is exactly what alot of people do. You think people would move to Charlotte if it was more expensive than somewhere up north? They wouldn't ..its the MAIN draw.. weather is number two but I have no idea why...

Old 07-23-2011, 08:21 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,724,581 times
Quote:
Let me try to clear some things up here....

1st, you have to understand the costs of living in some of these places. Topchief, I'm not going to ask direct, but let me take a wild guess. Your 2000sq ft home probably costs you $2500K per year in property taxes. You probably have a nice piece of land in a very nice neighborhood. Your commute to work is on the scale of say 15 minutes one way......Crime in your area is very low. The overwhelming opinion is that The weather is beautiful here...(ok to everyone except JP...lol). People are friendly and alot are laid back....

Am I close or somewhat reasonable to you and most here?

You can't have anywhere near that in NJ or the tri-state area.....1st of all, the average person has say a 40 year old cedar shake home and pay near 10K (or in many cases closer to 15-20K) in property taxes per year! Their commute is on the order of 30-45 minutes MINIMUM in pretty heavy traffic. If they were to buy a bigger home or try to pay less in property taxes, they'd have to have an hour commute or more (livign closer to pennsylvania, or near Orange County in NY state.) That gets more expensive (new car every 3-4 yrs and you lose time away from your family.) So, that puts a strain on your finances/marraige the whole bit. You also dread the winters in NJ because it gets dark at 5pm and most days are raw, the cold doesn't go away, and the sun hardly comes out....also w/all the salt on the roads, it eats away at your car and everything is dirty. By January you've had it.

Now, when you hear people have that have an easier life (like you have), human nature drives you to have the best life possible for you (and your family).

You cannot blame people for wanting a better life for their family. I do agree w/you that people should research the areas b4 they try to make the move. And now its extremely hard to move and succeed (because of the failing economy...)

I'm not trying to start an argument, but you have to understand where people are coming from. It would be the same exact thing as a northerner who comes here and doesn't understand why many people like BBQ (I do, but you see what I'm saying...)...you have to understand where people are coming from....

I hope this helps.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:27 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Let me try to clear some things up here....

1st, you have to understand the costs of living in some of these places. Topchief, I'm not going to ask direct, but let me take a wild guess. Your 2000sq ft home probably costs you $2500K per year in property taxes. You probably have a nice piece of land in a very nice neighborhood. Your commute to work is on the scale of say 15 minutes one way......Crime in your area is very low. The overwhelming opinion is that The weather is beautiful here...(ok to everyone except JP...lol). People are friendly and alot are laid back....

Am I close or somewhat reasonable to you and most here?

You can't have anywhere near that in NJ or the tri-state area.....1st of all, the average person has say a 40 year old cedar shake home and pay near 10K (or in many cases closer to 15-20K) in property taxes per year! Their commute is on the order of 30-45 minutes MINIMUM in pretty heavy traffic. If they were to buy a bigger home or try to pay less in property taxes, they'd have to have an hour commute or more (livign closer to pennsylvania, or near Orange County in NY state.) That gets more expensive (new car every 3-4 yrs and you lose time away from your family.) So, that puts a strain on your finances/marraige the whole bit. You also dread the winters in NJ because it gets dark at 5pm and most days are raw, the cold doesn't go away, and the sun hardly comes out....also w/all the salt on the roads, it eats away at your car and everything is dirty. By January you've had it.

Now, when you hear people have that have an easier life (like you have), human nature drives you to have the best life possible for you (and your family).

You cannot blame people for wanting a better life for their family. I do agree w/you that people should research the areas b4 they try to make the move. And now its extremely hard to move and succeed (because of the failing economy...)

I'm not trying to start an argument, but you have to understand where people are coming from. It would be the same exact thing as a northerner who comes here and doesn't understand why many people like BBQ (I do, but you see what I'm saying...)...you have to understand where people are coming from....

I hope this helps.
I understand where you are coming from, but I rent, never owned, and though we are saving up for a home I'm already dreading knowing that if I want to live in a certain area, my only options are subdivisions and HOA's. Also, I sincerely doubt anyone here has a 15 minute commute. Mine is aprox 35 minutes, and I feel fortunate it's that short.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:42 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,724,581 times
Quote:
I understand where you are coming from, but I rent, never owned, and though we are saving up for a home I'm already dreading knowing that if I want to live in a certain area, my only options are subdivisions and HOA's. Also, I sincerely doubt anyone here has a 15 minute commute. Mine is aprox 35 minutes, and I feel fortunate it's that short.
Look, I'm not arguing the details of the situation I presented....I'm just saying when you live in a certain area and you are presented w/those options, you make the best of what you have because life is short.

I can't beat people up for looking for a better life. I can for them not doing their homework and understanding the risks/negatives before you take the plunge.

Its always a tradeoff...

Old 07-23-2011, 10:15 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Look, I'm not arguing the details of the situation I presented....I'm just saying when you live in a certain area and you are presented w/those options, you make the best of what you have because life is short.

I can't beat people up for looking for a better life. I can for them not doing their homework and understanding the risks/negatives before you take the plunge.

Its always a tradeoff...
Jack, you're hitting all of the marks here.

There is nothing wrong with people wanting a better set of circumstances for their family. Where the problem comes in is when they don't understand that the better circumstances come with a different lifestyle.

I know this because where I moved from in South Jersey got flooded with people from the NYC metro during the boom. These were people who found NC levels of real estate prices & assumed that it would be the same as where they came from, just cheaper. They hated the slower pace of life. They were offended by clerks talking to customers & afraid of the locals who would attempt to strike up chit-chat in the stores. These are all complaints that have appeared in older threads on this board. This is why I have periodically posted a suggestion for people to go spend a long weekend in South Jersey. It's right on their doorstep & will tell them, to a degree, if they will like the Charlotte area.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:56 PM

149 posts, read 260,098 times
Bingo, SouthBound_295!!!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 AM

35 posts, read 60,385 times
here is why we are considered the move...

my wife and i make 150K combined and we have nothing left over at the end of the month. We have a relatively small 1800 Sq ft house that I paid 400K for in 2005. the taxes are 8800/yr. It costs us 3500/month to keep this house up. I have no land (30ft of grass around the house). The winters here are bitter...more so than in the past. December through March are killer. November and April are just tolerable. I understand the hot--cold trade off. The trade off is 2 months of very hot for 4 months of very cold.

But yes its mostly about the money. I have been getting job offers for around the same as what I make today. So financially life would be much easier. But equally important to us is the quality of life and overall happiness. We have a trip scheduled next month to check things out in both Charlotte and Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte