Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 04:32 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
My point was . . . there can be many reasons for discriminatory hiring practices, including (but not exclusively!) the prejudices of the person doing the hiring.
On the subject of prejudices, much later after I quit the job I relocated to Charlotte for, due to what I would loosely say, just plain bad blood between my manager and I, I was told by a co-worker that the bad blood all started out in the interview when I, during some small talk, remarked to her that she resembled her mother more than her Asian father. I made the observation after noticing photographs in her office. BTW, I'm Asian as well. Well, apparently, she took offense to that, and never forgave me for it, just because she favored her father more than her Caucasian mother! She plainly made my life hell in the 6 months I worked for her. Of course, everything made sense to me when two years later, I found out that she was cited by the company for discrimination against women, after several women complained to HR about her practices.

Just goes to show that prejudice is everywhere, and here we were, both of the same ethnic background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 06:01 PM

624 posts, read 2,107,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcivic View Post
What else is Charlotte hiding?
Guys, I think we're really getting off topic here. The OP specifically asked what other secrets Charlotte is hiding.

Everyone seems really focused on something that was published as a CO article...hardly a secret if it's published, but maybe since it was only in CO it still went mostly unread...?

Old 08-26-2011, 07:29 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The "divide and conquer" strategy is as old as the nation itself. First it divided Black slaves and White indentured servants very early in America's history, who were both in the same socioeconomic boat and whose interests were aligned, and then it branched out and wreaked all other kinds of havoc.

Cultural memes are very powerful and can take on lives on their own. Many are self-destructive but in a much subtler way than what we're discussing here and affect basically everyone regardless of race and socioeconomic level.
We could get into a very interesting discussion here . . . archetypes, cultural memes . . .

You have given me a lot to think about.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
Guys, I think we're really getting off topic here. The OP specifically asked what other secrets Charlotte is hiding.

Everyone seems really focused on something that was published as a CO article...hardly a secret if it's published, but maybe since it was only in CO it still went mostly unread...?
LOL.

As to what other secrets Charlotte is hiding . . . I don't know. John Edwards' mistress, maybe?

Old 08-27-2011, 04:31 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Some years back, Oprah opened discussion on this issue and also - referenced a study on eye color preference - and how a majority of black children chose lighter colored eyes as being more beautiful or preferable.

I am baffled about this issue as much today as I was when I first heard about it and it saddens me to think children are somehow taught (even subconsciously) that they are less beautiful, worthy or desirable b/c of the depth of melatonin in their skin.

I wonder if sometimes there is an ingrained feeling of self-loathing (and diminished self-esteem) that some black children must carry with them. I wonder if a lot of black children assume that white people value them less, as well - setting up a mistrust of white folks from Day One.

This is just demoralizing. How can it ever be changed? People who don't value themselves - and assume others don't value them, either - are not gonna expect very much for their future.
It all comes down to the parent(s)

If you are told you can do anything over and over you start to believe it. If you are raised by a single parent who takes all their frustration out on their kid and blames the child for ruining their life you will see a weak child.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:23 AM

3 posts, read 2,314 times
Hello Dougsdrum here, not to discount anyone's misfortune , I've never walked in their shoes. However one pet peeve I have with forums of this nature is that they're slanted in one direction ,NEGATIVE. We all know that African Americans have had to be twice as qualified as our White counterparts for many years , that's a given. Now since I can't speak on anyone elses history I'll start with mine. I'm in Sales, and graduated from a high school where I majored in music. Sorry no degree here. Now you may say , I can't relate because I don't have the benefit of a college education, but one thing I've learned is that attitude in any given situation can make all the difference. I arrived in Charlotte a month ago and have since had 3 interviews and 2 job offers. Am I just lucky , because a friend of mine who arrived here at the same time , has had a similar experience , with the help of an employment agency she now got a job working from home. So I laid down the groundwork for some spirited response, in a word, BRING IT !!!!!

Old 08-28-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougsdrum View Post
Hello Dougsdrum here, not to discount anyone's misfortune , I've never walked in their shoes. However one pet peeve I have with forums of this nature is that they're slanted in one direction ,NEGATIVE. We all know that African Americans have had to be twice as qualified as our White counterparts for many years , that's a given. Now since I can't speak on anyone elses history I'll start with mine. I'm in Sales, and graduated from a high school where I majored in music. Sorry no degree here. Now you may say , I can't relate because I don't have the benefit of a college education, but one thing I've learned is that attitude in any given situation can make all the difference. I arrived in Charlotte a month ago and have since had 3 interviews and 2 job offers. Am I just lucky , because a friend of mine who arrived here at the same time , has had a similar experience , with the help of an employment agency she now got a job working from home. So I laid down the groundwork for some spirited response, in a word, BRING IT !!!!!
Don't know exactly what the point is you are trying to make . . . ??? I do agree that attitude has a lot to do with landing any job.

Wishing you the best of luck in getting a job and getting settled here in Charlotte.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 2,314 times
Quote:
Don't know exactly what the point is you are trying to make . . . ??? I do agree that attitude has a lot to do with landing any job.

Wishing you the best of luck in getting a job and getting settled here in Charlotte.
I thought my points were quite clear. The first point was I feel these forums tend to slant in one direction =Negative. I will relating my positive experiences in Charlotte in my future posts.

Second point was my experience has NOT mirrored any of the experiences I've read about in the thread.

Thank you for the well wishes. They are appreciated.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougsdrum View Post
I thought my points were quite clear. The first point was I feel these forums tend to slant in one direction =Negative. I will relating my positive experiences in Charlotte in my future posts.

Second point was my experience has NOT mirrored any of the experiences I've read about in the thread.

Thank you for the well wishes. They are appreciated.
The discussion is about an article on hiring practices in re: to race for folks living in Charlotte (especially those that have higher education) . .. not about whether folks have or haven't gotten a job after moving to Charlotte.

Are you black and felt that your experience of moving here and quickly landing interviews has meant that there is no hiring discrimination here?

Not trying to give you a hard time, but you stated "bring it on" like we were all gonna jump on your very positive experiences, thus far, in moving here . . . but I feel certain no one is gonna have a reason to debate your good fortune. So I am trying to figure out what it is you thought was so controversial about what you wrote . . . ?

Old 08-28-2011, 12:26 PM

233 posts, read 906,518 times
Default No Bitterness Here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post

P.S I have a B.S and 20 years of experience and excellent credentials/work ethics but was still passed over for a whiteman with a high school degree and no medical experience Stuff happens, I'm not bitter but I'm aware that racism exist
I'm happy to hear that you are not bitter, that is definitely the attitude to have.

Well, I have interviewed with many companies in Charlotte and I do feel like there is something going on, other than just millions of people being out of work. I have had managers schedule me for an interview all to be surprised that I am Black. I believe that because managers are unable to identify my ethnicity simply by reviewing my resume and/or speaking to me over the phone, they are very surprised to see me when I arrive to the interview. The shock on their face used to bother me, but not anymore. I figure, why would I want to work with a manager/company that may harbor negative feelings about me because of my ethnicity?

Just to note, I do believe managers hire people that look like them, people with whom they can easily relate, future buddies and on facial/body appeal. This is all covered up by the statement, "well, we are looking for the right chemistry." Unfortunately, the highly academically qualified person is not always considered the best candidate, there are other "personal" decision factors and the law cannot do anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte