Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:01 PM

24 posts, read 60,686 times

Advertisements

Ok- Things are 'heating up' on our possible transfer from beantown to charlotte. There are plenty of things that make Boston unique (Dunkin' Donuts, the accents, The Sox, Italian District, the old T, etc.). In fact, out of many places I've been in the country- New England by and large is still relatively chain free and has plenty of character. What things make Charlotte, Charlotte and not just any where else?! (I'm making a trip down in the next few weeks- DH just went).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 09:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,568,882 times
DISCOVERY PLACE | igniting wonder since 1981 | CHARLOTTE NATURE MUSEUM | IMAX | Discovery Place with the Charlotte Observer IMAX Dome Theater and the Charlotte Nature Musuem are the things to do in Uptown Charlotte, North Carolina. Visit the Discover (http://www.discoveryplace.org/home/discovery_place-home.php - broken link) Educational Institution, Museum, Gallery, Observatory, Planetarium, Zoo, Aquarium

Levine Museum of the New South The New South means people, places and a period of time — from 1865 to today. Levine Museum of the New South is an interactive history museum that provides the nation with the most comprehensive interpretation of post-Civil War southern society featuring men, women and children, black and white, rich and poor, long-time residents and newcomers who have shaped the South since the Civil War

Carolina Raptor Center - Birds of Prey Conservation, Rehabilitation, Education Dedicated to environmental education and the conservation of birds of prey through public education, the rehabilitation of injured, and orphaned raptors and research
(Im sure there are similar ones elsewhere in the nation but they specialize in birds native to the area)

Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden The Garden is a place of ever-changing beauty that you can stroll through daily

US National Whitewater Center //// TAKE IT OUTSIDE !!! \\\\ world’s premier outdoor recreation and environmental education center

Charlotte Museum of History
Discover how earlier Charlotteans lived includes the city’s oldest dwelling, dating back to 1774

3500 Shamrock Drive, Charlotte. 704-568-1774. Charlotte Museum of History

St. Mary's Chapel
Nestled beneath the trees in an urban oasis, St. Mary's Chapel was originally on the campus of Thompson Orphanage and dates back to 1892. Today it stands in Thompson Park, which also features a gazebo and a Vietnam Veterans Memorial. religuos.info

NoDa Home - Charlotte's Historic Arts District home to the City's best collection of art galleries, music venues, restaurants, shopping and theater

Old 08-17-2007, 07:07 AM

101 posts, read 301,025 times
Dont worry we got D&D too... but don't be afraid of Krispy Kreme.
And there are some accents here too...
But if you like BBQ you'll love it down here ... mmmmm mmmmm good.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:48 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,440,977 times
You will find plenty of accents from everywhere here. While we do have a lot of chain restaurants, we also have a lot of independently owned mid-to upscale resturants due to Charlotte having a Johnson and Wales campus. This link is interesting here: Chain Leader – Insight for Restaurant Executives (http://www.chainleader.com/archives/2006/05/road-trip-charlotte.asp - broken link) We have the Carolina criminals -I mean Panthers. We also have a AA hockey team affiliated with the AHL's Hartford Wolfpack and the NY Rangers. September is a VERYgood time to visit as it is our month long cultural celebration. If you go to www.charlotteshout.com (broken link) there are plenty of happenings, including a day with free admission to local museums.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:49 AM

348 posts, read 431,102 times
You should feel right at home at the Beantown Tavern in Matthews. You'll find all the sox fans there.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:54 AM

160 posts, read 775,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMorin View Post
Dont worry we got D&D too... but don't be afraid of Krispy Kreme.
And there are some accents here too...
We HAD Krispy Kreme here.. but it failed and they all closed. We like to stick to D&D!!!!

and NOTHING beats a Boston accent. My boyfriend makes fun of me saying I'll pick up a southern accent when he go there.. but I'll always be a true New Englander!!!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:25 AM

24 posts, read 60,686 times
Default Union County versus Meck. County Schools

Thanks for the feedback. I know there are great things to do everywhere and most of it depends on your personality- how willing you are to get out there. You can live in NY and never leave your apt. if you're inclined to be that way. I'm sure we'll find plenty to do (with kids) and I'm excited to see the Arts mentioned- This is great news! Are there a lot of working artists there? One quick question though- in general I've found a lot on schools, but simply put- is Meck. county or Union county better for schools?!

Old 08-17-2007, 09:29 AM

3,316 posts, read 9,199,339 times
Quote:
We HAD Krispy Kreme here.. but it failed and they all closed.
They didn't ALL close. There is just not that many IN Charlotte now.
If you check the store locator at Krispy Kreme Doughnuts you will see at least ONE still in Charlotte. Liz

Old 08-17-2007, 09:46 AM

101 posts, read 301,025 times
Union county and Fort Mill is known to have better schools....

I got a new D&D right down the road from me now.... unfortuantely my wife knows my doctor doesnt want me eating anything like that...... but one once in a while can't hurt.... right???

Old 08-17-2007, 10:00 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,094,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMorin View Post
Union county and Fort Mill is known to have better schools....
How about Gaston Cty---particularly Belmont?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte