Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 08:43 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,183 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what an in-ground pool costs in NC, say 15X30. In Florida, we got estimates for 35-40G's and that was without bells and whistles.

We don't even have a house in NC yet, talk about putting the carriage before the horse.

BTW, I did try a search and didn't find the info. I needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 11:35 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Something to think about if you haven't moved yet.....I have heard that a pool doesn't add enough value to the house to get your return back. It might be in your better interest to buy a house with an inground pool already in it. It would also be easier on your budget because it is included in the purchase price and in your mortgage rather than an additional payment.

Dawn

Old 08-19-2007, 04:27 PM

673 posts, read 2,681,101 times
Something else to think about Mike409 - you won't get as much use out of a pool here like you do in FL. Yes, a pool would be wonderful now with this heat wave, but I don't think you would use it much, if at all, from October - April. Community pools around here are only open from around Memorial Day to Labor Day. Part of the reason for that is that all community pools have lifeguards, unlike FL, which is mostly "swim at your own risk." While there are people that have pools here, it is few and far between, especially compared to FL. To answer you original question though, I have no idea how much a pool costs here.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:40 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,985,183 times
Thanks, both of you.

Yes, I knew about the re-coup cost, or lack of, for a pool purchase. I figured finding a home with a pool, would be a challange. We do plan on looking at those houses though. Being that the pool year is shorter, compared to FL, I thought it would be a lot cheaper to install one, but who knows.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:50 PM

101 posts, read 300,865 times
I havent looked into one yet... I was hoping to look in the winter to install in the spring... Hopefully it will be cheaper if it follows the law of supply and demand... demand is lower than FL so hopefully prices would be cheaper.

Im with you Mike409.... I have notice that i never end up going to the community pools and having a pool right outside your back door is just so convenient to jump in.... but it is an expensive convienence.

Anyone know how big the problems are with Gunite pools in this part of the country?? My wife hates having a liner in the pool and I dont think we will go Fiberglass... but I wasnt sure if gunite was the way to go do to possible cracking in the winter.. any info would be appreciated...TY

Old 08-19-2007, 04:56 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Yeah, I would start by looking and seeing if you can find one already with a pool and then go from there.

Our house has an above ground pool. We would not have chosen it, but it is a 24' round pool and was only about 3 years old when we moved in and even though it isn't the prettiest thing, with our little kids at home, we have loved it. We do hope to have an inground when they get older though.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Thanks, both of you.

Yes, I knew about the re-coup cost, or lack of, for a pool purchase. I figured finding a home with a pool, would be a challange. We do plan on looking at those houses though. Being that the pool year is shorter, compared to FL, I thought it would be a lot cheaper to install one, but who knows.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 AM

543 posts, read 1,825,263 times
My opinion.. Worth every cent you spend on one down here. Homes with pools seem to sell very quickly and although there may not be an actual return value on your pool, you'll still end up with a higher price for your house. Again my opinion, but I know when I was moving from North to South a pool was a requirement and I was willing to pay a premium for one.

From my research these minimum prices were based on quotes when I had mine installed (14 x 28) -- Gunite about 40k, fiberglass about 35k and vinyl about 17k. Of course options and other stuff will affect your pricing.

Having owned all 3 types I'm finding vinyl to be my favorite type of all so far.

This year we started swimming about the start of april and will probably at least go to the end of september, that's at least 6 months of use as opposed to 3 back in MA.

Community pools can vary of course and our community pool here is nasty. It's cloudy, kids with diapers, strong chlorine smell, filters are always clogged with hair and bandaids. Having to rinse off in a cold shower in public view is pool policy too so forget about getting hot and sweaty while mowing your grass and going down for a quick dip.

Last edited by Markh; 08-20-2007 at 10:01 AM..

Old 08-20-2007, 11:24 AM

295 posts, read 1,297,991 times
OP, Mark, & others - I'm with you! I moved from the northeast and even there we had a pool growing up as kids and it was a great experience. Having one here in NC where I could get a minimum of two more months of use of it per year - I'm ready to take the plunge.

First things first, for me - I have to find a landscape company that can clear around 50-75 more feet of "backyard" area in my heavily wooded lot - but I'm really looking forward to installing a pool either this winter or next year (depending on how high my quotes will be from those landscapers). If anyone has any suggested landscapers for clearing a wooded area of my backyard - please PM me (so we don't highjack this thread). In reference to an earlier thread, I might go to Angie's List to find a landscaper, as well.

A preemptive word for those concerned I'm clearcutting my yard - I like the privacy my lot affords me with all those trees - but I need to gain some backyard otherwise the pool would be full of leaves and spiders. Even after I gain the use of that additional space, I'll still have 100 feet or more of wooded area on my property before the road behind my house.

Good luck with your pool (and home) purchase! Let us know what you come up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte