Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 06:24 AM

73 posts, read 330,480 times

Advertisements

I am moving to North Carolina this summer and considering moving to Lawson. Does anyone know anything positive or negative about the neighborhood. I will possibly buy an Orleans, Shea, or St. Lawrence home. Also, does anyone know about a neighborhood called Hollister and a neighborhood called Annadale? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 06:50 AM

31 posts, read 108,122 times
Lawson looks very nice - we had looked into building there - we ended up buying a resale, but if we were to build that would be on our short list. Although for the nicer houses on decent lots - the price would run in the $400+ range - I guess it depends on your budget. The smaller houses there seem a little too cramped for me. Lawson seems to be keeping more trees and green areas than some of the other developments, if that's important to you.

Hollister is supposed to be very nice as well - Shea Homes has some solid designs, and the development looks like it should be a good place to live with good schools.

Both developments are places that we would probably be very happy to build in...

Old 02-07-2007, 08:16 AM

Thanks for letting me know that. I am glad the hear that Lawson is keeping their trees. I really like that. Also, I will visit the neighborhood Hollister on my next visit. Thanks!

Old 02-07-2007, 09:25 AM

197 posts, read 735,597 times
I know some moms that recently moved into Lawson and one from my church that lives in Hollister - all of them like where they live. Lawson has more trees than Hollister but Hollister is further north and the houses look further apart to me

Old 02-07-2007, 11:28 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb36 View Post
I am moving to North Carolina this summer and considering moving to Lawson. Does anyone know anything positive or negative about the neighborhood. I will possibly buy an Orleans, Shea, or St. Lawrence home. Also, does anyone know about a neighborhood called Hollister and a neighborhood called Annadale? Thanks!
I sold a Shea home in Lawson last year...the community has been selling quickly and I LOVE that they have kept the trees. There is also going to be a lot of common area and great amenities. I love the community. Hollister is a Shea community and I think it is very nice as well. Right now the community does not connect to Weddington Road/84, but there will be a road opening soon and my guess is that they will raise their prices once the road opens. Annandale is a McCar community I believe. There is some information on this site about McCar builders -- but I would definitely drive through the community and talk to homeowners if you are interested. Often some builders have problems in some parts of town but not in others. Best of luck to you and feel free to PM me if I can help in any way!

Old 02-07-2007, 02:00 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
I was just talking with a Ryan Homes Rep today about Lawson and he said they are getting ready to open a new section. That's a beautiful area and Ryan is a quality builder.

Old 02-08-2007, 04:54 AM

Thanks for all your input. It is so hard to find a home when you are moving from out of state. I'm trying to do all my research before I make a trip back to Union County to buy a home in the next few weeks. I am coming from South Florida and I am just glad I sold my house and am able to move!

Old 02-09-2007, 04:44 PM

7 posts, read 24,152 times
Default Saw your post and looking to move from West Palm Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb36 View Post
Thanks for all your input. It is so hard to find a home when you are moving from out of state. I'm trying to do all my research before I make a trip back to Union County to buy a home in the next few weeks. I am coming from South Florida and I am just glad I sold my house and am able to move!
Hi,

I saw your post and wanted to know what you thought of NC. Our family is going up to NC next week to look at homes in Charlotte and Union County. How did it compare to South Florida? We lost our home to Hurricaine Wilma last year due to a misplaced candle. We lost our entire home. Thank goodness we all got out safe. We were contemplating back and forth rebuilding on our land but they are not grandfathering us in on taxes or insurance. It would cost us 3% in taxes alone because we live in wellington. Friends of friends and acquaintances are leaving in droves to NC. So, we too, are looking into a better lifestyle for the family and of course, less taxes. I am hoping to be "wow"ed but am really SCARED because all of my friends and family are in florida and I don't know anyone. Let me know your thoughts...

Regards,
Karyn

Old 02-09-2007, 06:57 PM

20 posts, read 69,108 times
I am relocating from florida also and interested in Lawson. I visited a while back and liked what I saw. I'm interested in St. Lawrence. Does anyone have any recent pictures of the community? I heard there was supposed to be a new Harris Teeter coming soon to the Cureton shopping center. How's that coming along? Does anyone know what other retail stores will be in Cureton?

Old 02-09-2007, 07:30 PM

673 posts, read 2,680,052 times
Default FL to Charlotte

I am still living in FL, because I haven't sold my house here yet, but just closed on my house in Union County 2 weeks ago. I have made 6 trips there in the past year and feel I know Union County pretty well. Lawson is very nice & will have nice amenities. The lots are small there though. St. Lawrence & Shea are the most expensive builders there. Personally, I prefer St. Lawrence. Their model in Lawson (the Wilshire) is to die for! The Pearson is also a very nice model they build. You can see that in Wesley Glen, but if you want to see one that will really "wow" you, go to the Palisades (this is not in Union County though). Hollister is built by Shea homes, and there are 2 sections there. One has bigger lots. If I remember correctly, one of the reasons I didn't like this community was that they were building the amenities right under power lines.

Many people are moving to Union County because of low property taxes (especially those of us from FL). You should know that property taxes are higher in different parts of Union County, Lawson being one of them. Lawson is in Waxhaw (the incorporated part), so taxes there are .97/$100 (at least they were when we first started looking there). I also bought in Waxhaw, but my property taxes are only .645/$100. I don't remember what they were in Hollister. It is definitely one of the first things you should ask, because you may be able to afford a more expensive home a few blocks over due to lower property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte