Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:19 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
What's the point of a black owned business in Ballantyne? West Charlotte needs any kind of business they can get and most will be black owned or cater to blacks...
That, I don't understand. What is the point of ANY business in Ballantyne? Do you think people would boycott it, because it is black owned? I can understand if they cater to blacks... but what difference does the fact that it is black owned make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 12:28 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Dang folks.

We have sure given Mr Agnew more than the typical 15 Minutes of Fame, lol.

I think Mr. Agnew came up with a brilliant idea - as far as supporting minority businesses. As a business person, tho, I am wondering how this is gonna be self-sustaining as far as the bottom line and profitability. Also, I have a hard time understanding how Mr. Agnew's business could be not-for-profit and sustain itself . . . someone has to make some money somewhere on this proposal, lol.

Yes, increased sales, possibly, for black-owned businesses. Nothing wrong with that! This is simply another way of advertising those businesses and hopefully, bringing in new customers who will become repeat customers.

Mr. Agnew is using his infamous situation at the EpiCenter in a positive way. Nothing wrong with that, either! Even if the whole thing were a publicity stunt . . . just shows me he knows how to use social media. However, I don't think what occurred at the Epi was designed purposefully to promote this venture.

I just wonder how it will work as far as being financially feasible for all involved. And I don't see how this could be construed as racist . . . ANYONE can use the card! Seems like a good way to market a person's business, to me (as long as the $$$ makes sense).
For me it all goes back to this. He has an attitude of "they treated me differently because I am black". Well isn't this card treating businesses differently because they are owned by blacks?

IMO, if this gentleman really wanted everyone to treat each other as equals it would just be a discount card for all small businesses.

I don't think the incident was a publicity stunt either.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:39 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
That, I don't understand. What is the point of ANY business in Ballantyne? Do you think people would boycott it, because it is black owned? I can understand if they cater to blacks... but what difference does the fact that it is black owned make?
I took it to mean that Felt was referring to USE - that Ballantyne has high foot traffic, so any business (regardless who owns it) is not likely to need a 10% discount card to get folks into their store.

I may be wrong, but that is how I understood what he said.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:44 PM

179 posts, read 399,385 times
Quote:
If you don't care about the history of black colleges don't speak on them. It sounds ignorant to "not care" about the history of an issue you brought up. You don't want the truth you just want your opinion to be the truth and fortunately it's not.

I have no desire or need to go to a school cafeteria but I know enough kids to know that race isn't nearly as important to them as it is to the older generation. Sure you have a few kids who are holding onto what their parents have told them but most are open minded individuals. They are still kids though so I wouldn't put too much value in cafeteria trash talk. It's what kids do.. whether white black, fat, skinny, rich or poor.. kids will make fun of it.

If you have a % of Hispanics who don't know English or aren't here legally I think it has a lot to do with a conversation about being inclusive. I'm pretty sure those illegals and spanish speaking hispanics aren't spending a lot of time integrating themselves into other racial groups. They stick with their own... and there is nothing wrong with that. I just find it odd for a Hispanic to talk about blacks segregating.
Why do you find it so odd? I hope you know there is blacks in Latin countries as well. This isn't the only country where the African race was brought to. Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, and many other Latin countries have African descent population. So it's not weird, nor odd.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:52 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,464,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
For me it all goes back to this. He has an attitude of "they treated me differently because I am black". Well isn't this card treating businesses differently because they are owned by blacks?

IMO, if this gentleman really wanted everyone to treat each other as equals it would just be a discount card for all small businesses.

I don't think the incident was a publicity stunt either.
Although I do understand where you are coming from and can see your point of view, it seems to me this card is not treating the businesses any differently - it is allowing the businesses to reward their customers - as a way of thanking them for their patronage.

At the same time, a discount cuts down on profitability at the point of sale, which concerns me. However, if the traffic volume goes up, there would be a point where additional traffic made up for a part of the loss due to the discount.

Now what I am assuming is . . . Mr. Agnew has figured out a way to translate the dollars each business has historically spent on advertising into part of the offset against the discount. If that works, then the business may do well by offering the discount card.

If the business model doesn't pan out, such a card could actually HURT small businesses (loss of profit, increased need for sales staff and/or products).

Regardless of the details, I don't think any legal methodology used to encourage folks to support their friends, neighbors, community - whatever! - is a bad thing. And I just don't see how it is racist.

After all, we all have the right to decide WHERE we are gonna shop. All this is doing is giving folks a financial incentive to CHOOSE a business that offers the discount. Instead of offering the discount to ALL small businesses, Mr. Agnew decided to concentrate on what would be a segmented market - black owned businesses. It would be no different than if he had offered that card to indigenous Southern businesses, for example. In fact, the idea is very close to that of a Co-op. Consumers are in no way being denied the right to shop where they please . . . they are just being incentivized to choose particular stores. If you own a card, you get entree to that discount - kinda like Sam's or Costco.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:00 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post

If a business is catering to black people.. say something like hair care products or natural soap products then it wouldn't make sense to put it in an area that isn't populated by a high number of blacks.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:01 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touge07 View Post
Why do you find it so odd? I hope you know there is blacks in Latin countries as well. This isn't the only country where the African race was brought to. Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, and many other Latin countries have African descent population. So it's not weird, nor odd.
America is the country we live in so it's the country I'm referring to...

I don't know what's going on in those other countries as far as race relations are concerned so I can't speak on them.

You talked about black schools in a negative way and I disagree with your stance... the reason I found it odd is because I think most white and black american's view hispanics as a race that isn't trying to integrate into American culture. Just my opinion....

Do you get offended when you see ads in spanish or see Univision or Telemundo? Those channels and ads are clearly for one race/spanish speaking individuals and aren't catering to Whites or Black Americans.

Last edited by Feltdesigner; 10-04-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-04-2011, 01:21 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,154,568 times
Quote:

I don't know what's going on in those other countries as far as race relations are concerned so I can't speak on them.

You talked about black schools in a negative way and I disagree with your stance... the reason I found it odd is because I think most white and black american's view hispanics as a race that isn't trying to integrate into American culture. Just my opinion....

Do you get offended when you see ads in spanish or see Univision or Telemundo? Those channels and ads are clearly for one race/spanish speaking individuals and aren't catering to Whites or Black Americans.

Heh..reminds of an All in the Family episode.

Archie and George Jefferson are trying to keep a Hispanic family out of the neighborhood. So as they are figuring out how to do it, George says..hey, I am just looking out for number 1...then Mike (Archies son in law) goes hey Arch, I though you were number One ? ....! haha..ahh what you could get away with on TV back then..

Old 10-04-2011, 01:22 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,154,568 times
Quote:

Heh..reminds me of an All in the Family episode. Archie and George Jefferson are trying to keep a Hispanic family out of the neighborhood. So as they are figuring out how to do it, George says..hey, I am just looking out for number one. Well, then Mike (Archies son in law) goes hey Arch, I though you said you were number One ????....! Then they started battling of course as to who number one was. haha..ahh what you could get away with on TV back then..

Old 10-04-2011, 01:27 PM

179 posts, read 399,385 times
Quote:

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the Hispanic race IS already integrated. American isn't a race. Unless you Native American, you are descent from immigrants as well, example: Irish, German, Italian..etc. So you are very confused when you say "American culture". The "American culture" is made of immigrants, that came back in the day and multiplied here.

Here's proof:
Minorities expected to be majority in 2050 - CNN

There will be more Hispanics than "Whites" by 2050, isn't that enough?

No, i do not get offended. Why would i? I'm hispanic..but i actually never watch any of those channels. I prefer CNN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte