Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:46 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,562 times

Advertisements

Castle Doctrine effective Dec 1, 2011. You can use deadly force
if someone breaks into your home.

Wonder if this will decrease Charlotte's break in rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 05:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Well . . . I linked the statute in the past . . . you must believe your life is in danger . . . I hope it will lower break-ins out of fear that the homeowner may take action, but the truth is . . . most folks are not walking around in their house w/ a firearm.

However, I do know plenty of people without children at home do keep several firearms w/in easy reach at various areas of the house . . . and have no idea how many might do that and would never openly discuss it . . .

I remember a situation w/ an elderly woman in the last year or so. She had a firearm on top of the fridge (if memory serves me on that detail). The punk who assaulted her wasn't expecting a little ole lady w/ a gun, lol. Go Grandma! :-)

Old 11-10-2011, 06:12 AM

368 posts, read 946,236 times
Has this not always been the case? I don't own a gun (yet), and haven't bothered to research to topic, but I was under the impression that as long as your intention was to stop a perceived threat to your or someone else's life, deadly force was fair game.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSLM View Post
Has this not always been the case? I don't own a gun (yet), and haven't bothered to research to topic, but I was under the impression that as long as your intention was to stop a perceived threat to your or someone else's life, deadly force was fair game.
Well, let's put it this way. Unless you could prove the perp was waving around a weapon, and was already IN your house, and you could choose something other than deadly force to "chase them away" . . . the law made it likely you, as the homeowner, would be charged. Even if the perp beat you up, raped your wife, and killed your dog . . . if they were on the way out the door, and you were still alive, even if they had ripped off every valuable thing in your house and you had suffered a heart attack . . . as long as they didn't kill ya . . . you weren't supposed to use deadly force if they left you alive.

Pretty much put the homeowner in a weak position to defend his family in his own home.

You were just supposed to call 911 and hope for the best, I suppose.

I was told by law enforcement that if someone came into my house, tied me up, then proceeded to carry out my wordly goods, if I got loose and shot and killed 'em, I would be charged and most likely tried . . . cause how could a perp cause a person harm if they have their hands full carrying stuff out - and they had tied me up so as to keep me out of their way? Pretty crazy stuff.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:38 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, let's put it this way. Unless you could prove the perp was waving around a weapon, and was already IN your house, and you could choose something other than deadly force to "chase them away" . . . the law made it likely you, as the homeowner, would be charged. Even if the perp beat you up, raped your wife, and killed your dog . . . if they were on the way out the door, and you were still alive, even if they had ripped off every valuable thing in your house and you had suffered a heart attack . . . as long as they didn't kill ya . . . you weren't supposed to use deadly force if they left you alive.

Pretty much put the homeowner in a weak position to defend his family in his own home.

You were just supposed to call 911 and hope for the best, I suppose.

I was told by law enforcement that if someone came into my house, tied me up, then proceeded to carry out my wordly goods, if I got loose and shot and killed 'em, I would be charged and most likely tried . . . cause how could a perp cause a person harm if they have their hands full carrying stuff out - and they had tied me up so as to keep me out of their way? Pretty crazy stuff.

Put a round into the ceiling as a warning, and to CYA and if they don't cut and run, go for the knees or hips/crotch. Keep them alive, and wriggling on the floor and you are not charged with murder or attempted murder. Just stopping the threat.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:50 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Put a round into the ceiling as a warning, and to CYA and if they don't cut and run, go for the knees or hips/crotch. Keep them alive, and wriggling on the floor and you are not charged with murder or attempted murder. Just stopping the threat.
OTOH, dead men tell no tales.

I agree with the new law. It should be assumed that if someone is breaking into your home their intent is to harm you. I certainly wasn't going to take the time to hand out a questionnaire to a person who was standing in my home in the middle of the night. The new law means (to me, anyway) that my home is off limits, period.

I think over time the new law will mean fewer home invasions, if for no other reason than reducing the rate of possible recidivism.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:53 AM

It used to be . . . the classic "robber" staked out your house and broke in when he/she was sure no one was home . . .and often, they carried no weapon (so they couldn't be charged w/ having one in possession) . . . but the thugs today here in Charlotte - they often purposely break into homes w/ folks in them - so they can intimidate the homeowner into quickly giving up any goods/cash (anyone still have cash to keep at home? LOL)

They kick in a door so it happens quickly, and they come charging in w/ weapons (often assault weapons) dressed in black and acting out some ninja fantasy.

Under those circumstances, it would be only the well-prepared and very alert homeowner who would be able to even get off a shot b/f having an assault weapon stuck in their faces.

I hear noises outside and I don't wait for the door to get kicked in. I open a window, ask questions as I aim. I have 2 panic alarms plus a remote to activate them. I am prepared to protect myself, if necessary, til the police get there.

The chances are good I will never have to use my "line of defense" - but I sure don't want to ever regret that I didn't do everything possible to protect myself and my family. Better safe than sorry (or dead).

Last edited by brokensky; 11-10-2011 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: typo, brain fart, lol

Old 11-10-2011, 07:26 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
It used to be . . . the classic "robber" staked out your house and broke in when he/she was sure no one was home . . .and often, they carried no weapon (so they couldn't be charged w/ having one in possession) . . . but the thugs today here in Charlotte - they often purposely break into homes w/ folks in them - so they can intimidate the homeowner into quickly giving up any goods/cash (anyone still have cash to keep at home? LOL)

They kick in a door so it happens quickly, and they come charging in w/ weapons (often assault weapons) dressed in black and acting out some ninja fantasy.

Under those circumstances, it would be only the well-prepared and very alert homeowner who would be able to even get off a shot b/f having an AKA put in their faces.

I hear noises outside and I don't wait for the door to get kicked in. I open a window, ask questions as I aim. I have 2 panic alarms plus a remote to activate them. I am prepared to protect myself, if necessary, til the police get there.

The chances are good I will never have to use my "line of defense" - but I sure don't want to ever regret that I didn't do everything possible to protect myself and my family. Better safe than sorry (or dead).
I go to the shooting range several times a year and have never seen an "Also Known As" in use there.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:46 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
I don't think it will decrease the rate that much. It sounds like a good law, but criminals are mostly stupid and/or don't care so they will continue on their merry way.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:51 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
I don't think criminals care what the laws are or they wouldn't be criminals to begin with...

If a few robbers are killed it will make them think twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte