Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 11:01 AM

245 posts, read 267,789 times

Advertisements

Vote Against Repeal - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 11:19 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
Charlotte Observer | Transit Tax (http://www.charlotte.com/transit - broken link)

Old 08-30-2007, 11:32 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,745,396 times
The only reason I would vote against the repeal is without the tax they will raise the taxes on homes.
The leaders in Charlotte are taking a queue right from the CA play book. Just spend the money then stick the tax payer with bill they will have to pay. They have demonstrated that whether or not the tax payer wants transit they will get it anyway. The leaders are going to do what ever they want and the tax payer can pound sand.

At least with the half-cent tax more of the burden of the transit system will be passed on to those most likely to use the system. Everyone including the poor will have to pay the tax. With out the tax only the property owner will pay extra taxes for transit.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,431,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
The only reason I would vote against the repeal is without the tax they will raise the taxes on homes.
The leaders in Charlotte are taking a queue right from the CA play book. Just spend the money then stick the tax payer with bill they will have to pay. They have demonstrated that whether or not the tax payer wants transit they will get it anyway. The leaders are going to do what ever they want and the tax payer can pound sand.

At least with the half-cent tax more of the burden of the transit system will be passed on to those most likely to use the system. Everyone including the poor will have to pay the tax. With out the tax only the property owner will pay extra taxes for transit.

I agree with this, but I also believe that even with light rail's problems it is a necessity for the future of Charlotte. People in favor of the repeal say "buses work better for Charlotte.". It's incorrect. People ride trains so that they are not stuck in traffic. Buses use the roads like anyone else. You ever come on the express bus from 485 in the morning? Not much better than driving. Also, repealing the tax would mean less buses overall for the people who do use them. I would like to see people in York County pay into it somewaht too as they use CATS.

Last edited by groove1; 08-30-2007 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-30-2007, 11:48 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,085,137 times
Repeal the tax!

Old 08-30-2007, 11:55 AM

245 posts, read 267,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Repeal the tax!
I think you missed the title of this thread

Removing before the questions gets blown out in left field

Last edited by LKNArea; 08-30-2007 at 12:38 PM..

Old 08-30-2007, 12:00 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,006,052 times
It will be interesting to see if Mecklenburg County will attempt to implement an additional local sales tax or land transfer tax in the near future. The state legislature approved the new revenue options for county governments this month. Already, around 25 counties will decide the issue in November. I'm sure there will be more to follow in 2008 and beyond.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNArea View Post
I think you missed the title of this thread

I'm just curious anyone that wants the transit to go away would you consider yourself a environmentalists too?
Trains are powered by electricity which is fueled by dirty coal among other things. Electricity is better than gas for sure, but has inherent problems too.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:37 PM

755 posts, read 2,493,972 times
I was SO pro-trains when we voted on this issue back in 1998. Being from the DC area originally, I know what a wonderful asset they can be to a city/metro area.

The problem is, this city has royally messed this whole thing up. The cost projections, delays and overruns are absurd. The locations for the lines don't make any sense. Why isn't there a line to the airport? And trains are supposed to be about alleviating traffic, but they're putting in 3 railroad crossings to accommodate the trains? What the? Car engines idling at railroad crossings aren't going to help the environment.

Although I'm in the process of leaving Charlotte, I still own a home there and I'm still registered to vote there. I look forward to returning someday. I'm really torn on this issue.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I was SO pro-trains when we voted on this issue back in 1998. Being from the DC area originally, I know what a wonderful asset they can be to a city/metro area.

The problem is, this city has royally messed this whole thing up. The cost projections, delays and overruns are absurd. The locations for the lines don't make any sense. Why isn't there a line to the airport? And trains are supposed to be about alleviating traffic, but they're putting in 3 railroad crossings to accommodate the trains? What the? Car engines idling at railroad crossings aren't going to help the environment.

Although I'm in the process of leaving Charlotte, I still own a home there and I'm still registered to vote there. I look forward to returning someday. I'm really torn on this issue.
Have you ever had to sit in traffic from the airport to uptown? It is generally a pretty easy traffic free drive down lovely old West Blvd or a couple of other roads. South Blvd on the other hand has a fair amount of traffic. The railstops where there are crossings will be brief. These aren't 200 car freight trains. The South Blvd is also only the first line. Davidson into Charlotte will be the next one which will help a lot and be a good option. Delays, cost overruns ar eunfortunately how governments operate.

If you own a home, you better vote to keep the tax or your property tax will go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte