Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 AM

86 posts, read 243,339 times

Advertisements

OK, so we are officially relocating to the Waxhaw area. The homes are beautiful, the people are nice and the schools are wonderful. Our sons are excited --- so for us this is a VERY SUCCESSFUL move.

Was doing a bit of research and found some OLD information about a "smell" in Waxhaw. Something about the water treatment plant and sewage. It's old info on city data and I did read some comments that the problem has been resolved and the treatment facility has "capped" the whatever it is that would be capped to get rid of the smell.

So.... is it gone? Also, what is the water quality like? Prefer only those who are actually familiar with Waxhaw to comment.

Other then that this area seems like a great place to live!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 10:08 AM

26 posts, read 47,965 times
We live in Waxhaw. "Smell" has been addressed, but not completely resolved. Those communities closet to WTP are obviously affected the greatest. But the odor only travels so far. What neighborhood will be moving to in Waxhaw?

Old 01-09-2012, 10:32 AM

Thank you for your honesty. We will be moving near Kensington Elementary. Is that area unaffected?

Is Union County a county that would fully address this in the future?

Thank you so much!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,306 times
I'm not sure where Kensington Elem. is, but since the wtp is ON kensington rd, i'd think you would probably be affected. I live in Waxhw, but nowhere near the WTP, and love it.

Old 01-09-2012, 01:24 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,369 times
Kennsington Elementary is about 2 miles or maybe less from the Waste Treatment Plant. The open fields were capped some time back at taxpayers expense. The smell unfortunately is not 100% gone, and there will be days where it will be more noticeable than others. After-all it is sewage. Water quality in the area is generally good, if you use the county water system. If you are on a well, you should have it checked regularly for arsenic, as for some reason the some of the county wells have a higher than normal levels.

Good luck with your move.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:25 PM

123 posts, read 283,056 times
We moved here a year ago and I was one of the people posting on this very site about the smell! Odd thing is we moved in and it was like several days a week that we smelled it. It seemed to be worse at night and early in the morning. We always thought it was the water plant. Oddly enough, I don't think it is that. I think it is the smell of the paper plant/mill down in SC not that far from us. It is massive and if you've ever smelled a paper mill it can be mistaken for you know what! If it is capped at the WTP then why would it smell I suppose? Anyhow, we've been here a year and live right down the road from it and can hardly smell it. The other point I'd like to make is most of your eating and shopping for the time being if you live near it are at the Harris Teeter shopping center and so it is relatively unavoidable! It is not bad and the pros outweigh the cons here for sure! We love it! Good luck!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:25 PM

Thank you jdubs! I actually had the location wrong -- we're going to be up Providence Rd about two miles away from the plant. Hopefully it's better out there.

I hear the pros do outweigh the cons.... everyone seems so happy to live there!

Old 01-09-2012, 05:48 PM

Yes, it won't be issue...I promise!! My opinion is that more and more will come to Waxhaw in time only adding to the appeal. We already have great schools, low crime, and low taxes. Now we just need a few more places to eat, shop, hang, and work out!

Old 01-09-2012, 06:04 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
But, the problem of future resales always looms in the background. With the greater majority of the responses saying there is a smell still present why should someone take a chance??

Look, there are no sortages of houses for sale. Would we all you agree to that? So why buy into a known problem when opportunties are abundant??

I don't get it.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:48 PM

The future of resales is not why I own my home. I used to be much more concerned with that. My main goals are as i said earlier...to live somewhere with good schools, clean streets, low crime, nice little town, near a big city, low taxes, affordable living...CHECK all the above!! Our town and neighborhood in particular are doing quite well in a bad market. Many sales have occurred in the past 12 months alone in one of the worst (if not the worst) housing markets ever! Look, there is always something to consider in areas and nowadays unless you live way out can you avoid it all! Trains, water treatment plants, factories, landfills, trains, highways, walmarts, the list goes on and on! We are just fine in Waxhaw! Thanks for your concern though Caddy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte