Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 03:41 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,809,293 times

Advertisements

I normally stop-off at a Smithfield's whenever I'm in the eastern part of the state and in the mood for BBQ and it always surprises me that there aren't any in Charlotte. I was wondering if people thought there'd be a market for one if they came here? I thought that there would be, since there wasn't a local chain in place that already dominated the market - in my opinion I see a couple of independents (Bubba's, Lancaster's etc) plus Sonny's.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 03:58 PM

181 posts, read 353,769 times
I think one could survive in the right location, but it's nothing that great IMO. The fact that it's eastern style in the piedmont might help them stand out a bit.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:17 PM

495 posts, read 1,078,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megax View Post
I normally stop-off at a Smithfield's whenever I'm in the eastern part of the state and in the mood for BBQ and it always surprises me that there aren't any in Charlotte. I was wondering if people thought there'd be a market for one if they came here? I thought that there would be, since there wasn't a local chain in place that already dominated the market - in my opinion I see a couple of independents (Bubba's, Lancaster's etc) plus Sonny's.

Thoughts?
Smithfield's is unfortunately just roasted pork as opposed to actual BBQ (smoked over wood coals). For gas "faux" bbq in the eastern style, you can do just as well at Bill Spoons in Charlotte or Gary's Barbecue in China Grove. As for me, I make the 40-minute drive to Lexington Barbecue for real BBQ to get my fix in.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:52 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,766,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
Smithfield's is unfortunately just roasted pork as opposed to actual BBQ (smoked over wood coals). For gas "faux" bbq in the eastern style, you can do just as well at Bill Spoons in Charlotte or Gary's Barbecue in China Grove. As for me, I make the 40-minute drive to Lexington Barbecue for real BBQ to get my fix in.
Well enjoy your ketchup based "BBQ".

I'd drive to Smithfield's if the came. I think their Q is fine and the Brunswick stew and potato salad are always my sides

Old 07-25-2011, 07:55 AM

821 posts, read 1,855,595 times
Default Lexington BBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
For 25 years as I traveled back and forth up I-85, I never took time to eat at Lexington BBQ. I have heard so many good things about it. My wife finally stopped there and had a plate. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. I have never had such sorry BBQ. The meat was tough with a sizable helping of fat and grissle (sp). It was awful. In retrospect, I should have asked to see the manager, but the place was packed on a Friday evening the there was a long line for carry out. My mistake.

Murry's BBQ in Raleigh is one of the better places to get BBQ. Elliott's in Matthews used to be very good when they first opened, but after a co-owner dispute the guy who knew how to cook pork walked away and the place when downhill and is closed as far as I know. I will have to give Spoons a try and run up to China Grove to Gary's. I DO need a BBQ fix since I don't want to drive down east to Parker's BBQ, which is some of the best in the state.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:20 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,659,477 times
Next time you're on the I-85 corridor, if you get the chance, stop in here (either location):

High Point, NC Caterer | Caterer In High Point, NC | Carter Brothers BBQ

and let me know what you think. To me, that's what a good all-around BBQ restaurant should be.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:32 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,809,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I'd drive to Smithfield's if the came. I think their Q is fine and the Brunswick stew and potato salad are always my sides
Yeah - I would, too.
And in terms of a success or fail business proposition, I don't think that the pulling power of any existing BBQ restaurants is sufficiently strong to think otherwise.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:12 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
I stop at Smithfield's every time I go to the coast and bring back Brunswick Stew... They had a buy one get one special the last 2 times I went there.

I would go if they had one in Charlotte.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:42 AM

3 posts, read 9,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
For 25 years as I traveled back and forth up I-85, I never took time to eat at Lexington BBQ. I have heard so many good things about it. My wife finally stopped there and had a plate. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. I have never had such sorry BBQ. The meat was tough with a sizable helping of fat and grissle (sp). It was awful. In retrospect, I should have asked to see the manager, but the place was packed on a Friday evening the there was a long line for carry out. My mistake.

Murry's BBQ in Raleigh is one of the better places to get BBQ. Elliott's in Matthews used to be very good when they first opened, but after a co-owner dispute the guy who knew how to cook pork walked away and the place when downhill and is closed as far as I know. I will have to give Spoons a try and run up to China Grove to Gary's. I DO need a BBQ fix since I don't want to drive down east to Parker's BBQ, which is some of the best in the state.
Parker's BBQ is AWESOME.. I used to live 10 miles from there and ate their every chance I got!!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:51 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
In answer to the OP, I'd go there if one was nearby. It is not the greatest but I like it enough to eat there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte