Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times

Advertisements

I am sure the government would be willing to pay for additional landscaping and yard work for the 4 bedroom McMansion they are going to set you up with.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:15 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
^^^^^ct. or clt government? Do you know which one?

Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
i was told by a government official that vouchers transfer to a new location at the same value as originally issued. so if that is incorrect, I would like to be corrected and get the actual facts. that means if a person qualified for a voucher in a high rent district and then moves to a different area with lower costs, the voucher is Not adjusted, which is totally wacked out. i was also told that this is one reason the Mayor has pushed for subsidized "affordable housing" - because folks are moving here with high value vouchers (equivalent to most of our mortgage payments here in Charlotte) - and so we "need" to build higher priced upscale housing so folks with those high value vouchers can find a place to rent.

Again, this is what I was told. If that is incorrect, I would like to be corrected as I find it really difficult to accept that folks can move to a different area with lower rent and COL and taxpayers are still underwriting their rent at a higher rate than the folks who qualified for vouchers locally (and thus, receive less money). it just makes no sense at all.

As for finding housing, I would suggest the OP start with the Charlotte Housing Authority, and get leads there as to landlords and approved properties. there may be properties in Meck that would be close to where she wants to be in Concord. Also, they would be able to give her other info on agencies for Concord, specifically.

Last edited by brokensky; 01-30-2012 at 10:04 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 10:50 AM

2,778 posts, read 5,166,000 times
this is the type of post that I'm better off to just

Old 01-30-2012, 11:01 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,042 times
Ani, yes vouchers travel from state to state. Hence, the reason many prefer to get more bang for their buck.

Why do everyone assume that this person will be leaning on the system? I have a friend who is a substitute school teacher and she qualifies for a voucher. Yes, she has a beautiful home for her entire family. She is part of a working society, however, her income falls within the legal ramifications to qualify for Section 8. She covers the portion of her rent, that her voucher does not cover. The more money one earns, the less the voucher covers. This is why it adjusted yearly.

Here's a website that you can search for Section 8, but the Concord area is not part of it.
Socialserve.com - Rental Housing Search: Charlotte, NC

Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Your voucher is good in CT (Conn.). Is that voucher good in CLT (Charlotte)?

Anybody know the answer to this?
The OP will need to contact the Charlotte Housing Authority (or the housing authority where she ends up moving to) and her housing authority in CT to see if the voucher can be transferred - sometimes they can, and sometimes they cannot, it depends on many factors. Sometimes the original housing authority continues to fund the voucher, even though the client has moved; sometimes the new HA takes on the funding. It's best to contact both housing authorities to see if the transfer can be authorized.

Quote:
1) generally when a sec 8 tenant has a complaint about the apt. they call sec 8. Sec 8 follows up with an inspection and if the violation is not corrected...sec8 withholds the rent.

So, don't think this works...... or does it?
If a home is in violation of housing standards, rent should be withheld. A person should not live in substandard or unsafe housing, whether or not they have a voucher.

Quote:
3) voucher was good IF the apt. passed inspection. So now I needed an inspector in my building. No...I don't think so.
In most areas, an inspection has to happen first, before the lease is approved. Again, this has to do with people not living in substandard housing. If someone doesn't want their home inspected, then they should not rent to someone with a voucher. The housing guidelines are pretty basic, there's nothing outrageous or unattainable. Here's a basic list, in .pdf form - www.socialserve.com/pdfs/CLT_Section8HQS2010.pdf

Quote:
4) Inspection couldn't take place for 3 weeks. So, I should wait and lose rent.Nope.
Very frustrating! Yes, the inspection can sometimes take a while. In Charlotte, it's generally not more than a week, week and a half or so. In LA and New York, I've known some that have taken nearly a month. Some LLs are willing to wait, since they know they'll have guaranteed rent for the next year.

Quote:
5) Voucher was for X number of bedrooms. Inspector would determine what a "bedroom" is.
In most places, a bedroom is a room with its own door, a window, and a closet. (some areas don't have closets as a qualifier) Pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I am sure the government would be willing to pay for additional landscaping and yard work for the 4 bedroom McMansion they are going to set you up with.....
Hmmm... I am thinking you might not be that familiar with section 8, and the homes that most clients live in. Here in Charlotte, the amount offered by the housing authority is generally quite a bit lower than market rate, so most section 8 homes are modest. Are there exceptions? Sure. But I'm willing to bet that 99.9% of section 8 homes are nowhere near "McMansion" status. And the government will certainly not pay for yard upkeep or landscaping. A landlord may decide to include that service in the rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
i was told by a government official that vouchers transfer to a new location at the same value as originally issued. so if that is incorrect, I would like to be corrected and get the actual facts.

<snip> Again, this is what I was told. If that is incorrect, I would like to be corrected as I find it really difficult to accept that folks can move to a different area with lower rent and COL and taxpayers are still underwriting their rent at a higher rate than the folks who qualified for vouchers locally (and thus, receive less money). it just makes no sense at all.
It might be best for you to contact the housing authority directly, and not rely on a government official who may have no internal knowledge of how it's done.

Quote:
i was also told that this is one reason the Mayor has pushed for subsidized "affordable housing" - because folks are moving here with high value vouchers (equivalent to most of our mortgage payments here in Charlotte) - and so we "need" to build higher priced upscale housing so folks with those high value vouchers can find a place to rent.
No, I don't believe so. The need for affordable housing is because housing costs in Charlotte far, far surpass what many people earn. Someone making minimum wage at one full-time job can afford rent of $374, if you follow the guideline of spending no more than 30% of your wages on housing. There are no properties available for $374/month, unless the rent is subsidized. Even two full-time minimum wage jobs would be $748 in rent, and if the family is larger than three people, they'll have a hard time finding affordable housing here.

Quote:
As for finding housing, I would suggest the OP start with the Charlotte Housing Authority, and get leads there as to landlords and approved properties. there may be properties in Meck that would be close to where she wants to be in Concord. Also, they would be able to give her other info on agencies for Concord, specifically.
Social Serve is the official listing site for the Charlotte Housing Authority - you can search there, but it's prudent to also check local ads, etc.

Here's the link to search in Cabarrus County.

I work and volunteer with folks who have section 8 vouchers - I highly recommend doing that if one is interested in seeing how these "government handouts" work... or don't work. Of course, if one is interested more in forming judgments based on hateful rhetoric without actually getting to know people and their situations, they're certainly free to do that as well.

I do think the system does NOT work well. People do not have motive to improve their earning ability if all of their needs are taken care of indefinitely. The Charlotte Housing Authority has taken some steps toward weaning people off section 8, but more needs to be done. I don't believe leaving families homeless - or telling them to live elsewhere - is a solution. I certainly don't have the answer. But I do believe in compassion in the meantime.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
No, I don't believe so. The need for affordable housing is because housing costs in Charlotte far, far surpass what many people earn. Someone making minimum wage at one full-time job can afford rent of $374, if you follow the guideline of spending no more than 30% of your wages on housing. There are no properties available for $374/month, unless the rent is subsidized. Even two full-time minimum wage jobs would be $748 in rent, and if the family is larger than three people, they'll have a hard time finding affordable housing here.
Exactly, so if those are your job prospects, it is quite simple. Don't have kids or at least wait until one can afford them.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
Ani, yes vouchers travel from state to state. Hence, the reason many prefer to get more bang for their buck.

Why do everyone assume that this person will be leaning on the system? I have a friend who is a substitute school teacher and she qualifies for a voucher. Yes, she has a beautiful home for her entire family. She is part of a working society, however, her income falls within the legal ramifications to qualify for Section 8. She covers the portion of her rent, that her voucher does not cover. The more money one earns, the less the voucher covers. This is why it adjusted yearly.

Here's a website that you can search for Section 8, but the Concord area is not part of it.
Socialserve.com - Rental Housing Search: Charlotte, NC
Absolutely agree- folks can be hard working individuals and qualify for vouchers. I didn't mean to sound like I think the program is bad or that anyone who uses a voucher is scamming the system. If I were in the position to qualify, I would certainly do so myself. My concern was simply that it seems unfair that the value of the voucher is not changed when a person moves to an area where longtime residents are getting lower value vouchers. that doesn't seem fair to the local folks. Plus it doesn't seem to be in line with the spirit of the program, wh/ was devised to help folks deal with offsetting high rent.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:52 AM

CharlotteGal - thank you so much for the clarifications and excellent info and resources. you answered a lot of questions and I appreciate your taking the time. Hopefully, your info will help the OP find a place for her family.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:43 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,707,673 times
Quote:
i was told by a government official that vouchers transfer to a new location at the same value as originally issued. so if that is incorrect, I would like to be corrected and get the actual facts. that means if a person qualified for a voucher in a high rent district and then moves to a different area with lower costs, the voucher is Not adjusted, which is totally wacked out. i was also told that this is one reason the Mayor has pushed for subsidized "affordable housing" - because folks are moving here with high value vouchers (equivalent to most of our mortgage payments here in Charlotte) - and so we "need" to build higher priced upscale housing so folks with those high value vouchers can find a place to rent.

Again, this is what I was told. If that is incorrect, I would like to be corrected as I find it really difficult to accept that folks can move to a different area with lower rent and COL and taxpayers are still underwriting their rent at a higher rate than the folks who qualified for vouchers locally (and thus, receive less money). it just makes no sense at all.

Ani---who pays for the voucher (which city/state)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte