Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2012, 06:21 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,325,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
So, if there are no jobs, no "guarantees" in life then how do you propose that this nation survive? Or are you one of those that is ok with the whole "haves & have nots" theory?
The nation will need to change with the times. People will need to change with the times.

I am ok with the haves and have nots. Most people who are part of the "haves" worked very hard to get there. Sure, there are some that it was handed to them on a silver spoon but their fathers and grandfathers worked their rear end off to get there. There will always be "have nots." You will always have people who are lazy or don't work hard. Should they have the same stuff that the people who have worked hard? I think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,290,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
The nation will need to change with the times. People will need to change with the times.

I am ok with the haves and have nots. Most people who are part of the "haves" worked very hard to get there. Sure, there are some that it was handed to them on a silver spoon but their fathers and grandfathers worked their rear end off to get there. There will always be "have nots." You will always have people who are lazy or don't work hard. Should they have the same stuff that the people who have worked hard? I think not.
What about slaves (I think they worked hard) and my great-great grandpappy's 40 acres and a mule - bascially ended with nothing after years of "free" labor and slave wages during the Jim Crowe era. America is a great country but 200-300 of years of free labor is one hell of a start!

It's a different era, but a lot of people work hard, aren't lazy and end up with nothing. Most people go bankrupt due to a family healthcare crisis.

Sure, you've got lazy bums and people who'll use ancestry conditions as a crutch but there is a fine line between the "have" and the "have not". There are many reasons hard working people have nothing...just saying.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:13 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,290,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Sorry but this is far from a credible source...to say the least...

In his speech yesterday (at Master Lock in Wisconsin), President Obama talked about the lack of skilled workforce. It is an acute problem.

And by skilled personal, the companies mean highly skilled engineers/scientists, people with doctorate degrees, not production line workers. These are the skills that help a company to create new products and in turn create other jobs.
Access indeed.com and a search on jobs using the words energy, engineer, information technology, etc... there a lot of jobs but people don't have the proper skill set or training. As Supelgeek stated, the nation needs to change with the times. This is the new global economy and it's cheaper to manufacture certain products and maintain certain services in other parts of the world. The competitive global environment isn't going to diminish but continue to increase.

Science, technology, engineerng and math (STEM) is where we're losing ground....students have to actually "think"....this is the critical educational void that needs to be addressed.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:22 AM

15,357 posts, read 12,678,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post

While I agree with changing with the times a lot of what you are saying is nonsense. Who in here is demanding everything while contributing nothing? Who in here is saying they are "owed something" or want what the have's "have?" If your partner came home and showed you a pink slip do you go on these rants about him/her being lazy and not being owed anything? Do you tell them it's their fault for wanting what they didn't work for??

I seriously doubt the people at Lowes being laid off were lazy or didn't work hard. Come back to reality and address the actual issue's we are facing instead of using tired talking points that don't address the questions from people in this thread.

While we are having this argument about outsourcing and working against our countries best interest Master Lock is bringing back 100 jobs from China due to rising cost... hopefully it continues.

President Obama Touts

Also read about Michigan making a comeback....
Michigan's economy starting to turn around, but experts say there's a long way to go | Detroit Free Press | freep.com (http://www.freep.com/article/20120119/BUSINESS06/201190451/Michigan-s-economy-starting-to-turn-around-but-experts-say-there-s-a-long-way-to-go - broken link)

Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 AM

15,357 posts, read 12,678,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Access indeed.com and a search on jobs using the words energy, engineer, information technology, etc... there a lot of jobs but people don't have the proper skill set or training. As Supelgeek stated, the nation needs to change with the times. This is the new global economy and it's cheaper to manufacture certain products and maintain certain services in other parts of the world. The competitive global environment isn't going to diminish but continue to increase.

Science, technology, engineerng and math (STEM) is where we're losing ground....students have to actually "think"....this is the critical educational void that needs to be addressed.
I blame No Child Left Behind, schools ignoring the arts, recess and giving any kid who acts like a kid perscription drugs...

I feel like I went to college in HS compared to what these kids are getting now from their HS education. No creative thinking... just test, test, test... memorize, memorize and then move them along.

It's all about getting the the cheapest.. but eventually the place where it's cheapest becomes just like America... and now they'll want to come back home since they knocked down wages in the US... but we've lost a generation ins the process..

Old 02-16-2012, 07:33 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,029,697 times
Quote:
Sorry but this is far from a credible source...to say the least...

In his speech yesterday (at Master Lock in Wisconsin), President Obama talked about the lack of skilled workforce. It is an acute problem.

And by skilled personal, the companies mean highly skilled engineers/scientists, people with doctorate degrees, not production line workers. These are the skills that help a company to create new products and in turn create other jobs.
Salon is a very credible and professional source.

The article is meticulously documented with links to rigorous emprical studies like the one from Rutgers that notes that STEM universities have been graduating more students than there are jobs for:
http://policy.rutgers.edu/faculty/sa...yasshegoes.pdf

Or the testimony of Richard Hira from Rochester Institute of Science:

Ron Hira Provides Answers to Senator Grassley that Strengthen His Testimony Refuting Shortage Claims - Science Careers Blog

Companies are using this canard to justify offshoring many jobs and slashing benefits of high-tech workers.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:

There are many applications for each of those jobs. Sure, it's a more in-demand field than many others, and there is nothing wrong with promoting more involvment in STEM. But there is not a shortage, really.

Would flooding the market with STEM grads do anything but drive wages down?

Old 02-16-2012, 07:36 AM

2,781 posts, read 5,183,526 times
Quote:

I agree.
Many companies cannot find skilled engineers (see jobs postings from Microsoft, Siemens, GE, Boeing, etc), they have 1000's of positions that pay a six figure salary - and cannot find the right people.
Of course that to survive, a company needs to either create engineering branches in India/China or bring them over on working visa.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I blame No Child Left Behind, schools ignoring the arts, recess and giving any kid who acts like a kid perscription drugs...

I feel like I went to college in HS compared to what these kids are getting now from their HS education. No creative thinking... just test, test, test... memorize, memorize and then move them along.

It's all about getting the the cheapest.. but eventually the place where it's cheapest becomes just like America... and now they'll want to come back home since they knocked down wages in the US... but we've lost a generation ins the process..
I agree. We need to be careful to distinguish between calls for more STEM graduates and calls to reconfigure our educational system to the Chinese model that allows little questioning or broader thinking about the implications of these new technologies.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
I agree.
Many companies cannot find skilled engineers (see jobs postings from Siemens, GE, etc), they have 1000's of positions that pay a six figure salary - and cannot find the right people.
Of course that to survive, a company needs to either create engineering branches in India/China or bring them over on working visa.
Looking at the number of job postings says nothing about whether there is a shortage or not.

I can look on journalismjobs.com and see 825 open jobs in newspapers. Are you going to tell me that there is a shortage of newspaper reporters/editors now? Every one of those jobs will have at least 30 applications.

It might be less in the engineering field (10 applications per job, say). But there is no shortage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte