Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 05:35 PM

5 posts, read 5,690 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My husband and I are reseaching places to move to and Charlotte, NC is one of them. We are in our late 20's and have no children yet. We live in Temecula, CA which is about one hour north of San Diego. We are completely over California and ready for a change. Our list of things we are looking for are a larger city (our population is about 120,000), a decent job market, all four seasons but we dont want a place that is too cold (below 10 degrees), somehwere relativley safe and clean, nice houses at a fair price (we pay $1,400 for an 1,100 sq ft house), options for recreation nearby, good shopping and dinning, options for a fun night on the town (we are VERY limited here in Temecula), and lastly a nice place to raise a family with decent schools. I know its a large list but we are impressed with the research we have done so far and would like to here from people who have relocated to Charlotte or have lived there all their lives. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 05:40 PM

Oh and few of the many other places we are looking into are Austin, TX and Dallas, TX, Omaha, NE, Portland OR, Boise, ID, Chicago, IL and if we can make it work New York. That last one would be amazing but if we have children we don't think we would want to raise them there.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:41 PM

372 posts, read 659,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyearsevebaby View Post
Oh and few of the many other places we are looking into are Austin, TX and Dallas, TX, Omaha, NE, Portland OR, Boise, ID, Chicago, IL and if we can make it work New York. That last one would be amazing but if we have children we don't think we would want to raise them there.
Not to mention that my brother pays $1200/month for a 600sq ft apt which shoots down your wanting to get a larger house.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:43 PM

372 posts, read 659,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
Not to mention that my brother pays $1200/month for a 600sq ft apt which shoots down your wanting to get a larger house.
That is; a 600 sq ft apartment in NYC.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:12 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,980,543 times
You're comparing several places that are all very different from one another, so I dunno if this thread will take off.

I suppose I would offer that Charlotte is smaller than Dallas or Portland, bigger than Omaha or Boise.

It has the mildest climate of any of the cities you mentioned. You get to see snow once or twice a year but it melts away the next day, and does not cause much of a problem if you just skip work those days. (OK ... Portland is fairly mild, but it has long, gloomy and damp winters which some people decide they do not like after living through one.)

Old 08-02-2012, 06:17 PM

I understand that these places are pretty different but were just exploring and narrowing our options down. Trying to get a feel for what we are drawn to. We are moslty interested on Charlotte right now.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyearsevebaby View Post
Hello everyone. My husband and I are reseaching places to move to and Charlotte, NC is one of them. We are in our late 20's and have no children yet. We live in Temecula, CA which is about one hour north of San Diego. We are completely over California and ready for a change. Our list of things we are looking for are a larger city (our population is about 120,000), a decent job market, all four seasons but we dont want a place that is too cold (below 10 degrees), somehwere relativley safe and clean, nice houses at a fair price (we pay $1,400 for an 1,100 sq ft house), options for recreation nearby, good shopping and dinning, options for a fun night on the town (we are VERY limited here in Temecula), and lastly a nice place to raise a family with decent schools. I know its a large list but we are impressed with the research we have done so far and would like to here from people who have relocated to Charlotte or have lived there all their lives. Thanks!
You can find much of what you are looking for in Charlotte for sure

all four seasons
generally not below 10 degrees in the winnter
relativley safe and clean
options for recreation nearby
good shopping and dinning
options for a fun night on the town
a nice place to raise a family with decent schools.

However, many folks have relocated to the area making competition for what jobs there are very stiff. So concentrate your efforts on jobs first, before you get your heart to set on moving to Charlotte okay?

In addition, housing costs may be more than you are expecting. They will not be cheaper than you are currently paying, so just be prepared to continue to spend about what you are currently spending.

Best of luck in your search!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:46 AM

488 posts, read 799,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You can find much of what you are looking for in Charlotte for sure

all four seasons
generally not below 10 degrees in the winnter
relativley safe and clean
options for recreation nearby
good shopping and dinning
options for a fun night on the town
a nice place to raise a family with decent schools.

However, many folks have relocated to the area making competition for what jobs there are very stiff. So concentrate your efforts on jobs first, before you get your heart to set on moving to Charlotte okay?

In addition, housing costs may be more than you are expecting. They will not be cheaper than you are currently paying, so just be prepared to continue to spend about what you are currently spending.

Best of luck in your search!
Have to agree - Charlotte fits all the blocks (I am also an ex-Californian) the only thing is the job market. What type of working will you be looking for?

Old 08-03-2012, 12:11 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,050 times
We moved here from SoCal, Los Angeles area.

We made sure we had jobs lined up before moving though. No way I would move that far without a job. My husband used a headhunter and he was flown out her 4 times for interviews (one of those times was to Atlanta, one to Raleigh and the other two to Charlotte.)

I did get my job once here, although I have since left it to stay home with the kids for now.

What line of work? Do you need to sell a house?

I will also say that we took a trip out here with all of us to scout out the area before moving. We fully expected to move to Raleigh though and spent most of our time there. It wasn't until later that my husband was offered a job in Charlotte. Raleigh, for his line of work, wasn't a good fit.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:09 PM

58 posts, read 134,446 times
Having come from San Diego there is a big cultural difference. So much more to do in So Cal, much better weather - but prices in So Cal through the roof. As others note, work would play a big factor. A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte