Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 11:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,182,535 times

Advertisements

Some neighborhoods in the area dictate that you can't leave your car in your driveway overnight; it must be in the garage. That seems like a bit much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 10:21 AM

75 posts, read 167,354 times
I received a nasty letter from the HOA once when I parked my car on the street overnight. I don't understand what's dangerous about overnight street parking, but sure enough the rule is stated clearly in the covenant, so I don't plan on doing it again. I am curious though...what's the point of this rule?

Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,262,367 times
The first thing is to make sure is that the streets actually are public. I moved into a new subdivision about 12 years ago that was in an unincorporated area at the time but later annexed by Charlotte. All public roads outside municipalities in North Carolina are state maintained. What was supposed to have happened was that the developer should have applied to the state to have the roads taken over by NC DOT. Once the area was annexed, the city would have automatically taken over maintenance. What we found out was that the developer never turned the streets over to the state. The city engineer had to get the engineering maps from the Meckenburg County engineer and verify they met standards and then take over the streets. All this took a while and a bunch of calls.

The state used to put out the little black signs with the 4-digit numbers for state maintained roads, but they don't always do this now.

So the first step is to contact NC DOT (if you're in unincorporated areas) or the city DOT or to make sure the streets actually are public.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:09 AM

642 posts, read 1,170,228 times
1). Read your HOA rules. If it says "No Street Parking" then, if you park on the street, expect trouble.

2). If NC DOT own the road then it is up to them to enforce traffic rules and not the HOA.

An HOA may not like your car parked on the street but if they have no jusistriction then, as has been excellently previouisly mentioned, they may engage in voluntary cranial rectal immersion. Whilst doing this they may whistle if they wish. You can suggest this but in my experience it is unwize to needlessly upset these people since they delight in wielding their miniscule power and if they don't git ya this time, your card will have been marked.

It really comes down to just what the rules are and who is responsible for making and enforcing them.

I am not sure what happens if NC DOT say parking is legal and the HOA says it contravenes our rules.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:15 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
The first thing is to make sure is that the streets actually are public. I moved into a new subdivision about 12 years ago that was in an unincorporated area at the time but later annexed by Charlotte. All public roads outside municipalities in North Carolina are state maintained. What was supposed to have happened was that the developer should have applied to the state to have the roads taken over by NC DOT. Once the area was annexed, the city would have automatically taken over maintenance. What we found out was that the developer never turned the streets over to the state. The city engineer had to get the engineering maps from the Meckenburg County engineer and verify they met standards and then take over the streets. All this took a while and a bunch of calls.

The state used to put out the little black signs with the 4-digit numbers for state maintained roads, but they don't always do this now.

So the first step is to contact NC DOT (if you're in unincorporated areas) or the city DOT or to make sure the streets actually are public.
you don't have to call anyone... the city has a neat little GIS program that is available for anyone to use.

Go to this link:
Virtual Charlotte, Charlotte GIS
Click on the tab on the left called "Transportation". Check the boxes for "City-maintained Streets" and "State-maintained Streets".... scroll around or enter an address of concern in the box at top and voila! If it's not city or state maintained it's private. There's tons more data available there too...

Old 06-23-2012, 11:23 AM

176 posts, read 290,982 times
Why choose (and pay) to live in a very nice neighborhood, and then park car in the street? In my view, neighborhoods look more attractive without a bunch of cars in the street - particularly when streets are narrow. Just my .02

Old 10-19-2012, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 20,042 times
The problem is, we think that roads in a subdivision is public. Even our HOA professional property management company say's it's a public street at first. Well, I am on the opposite side of what the OP initiated - trying to let the HOA management enforce the "no overnight parking" restrictions because of inconvenience. As most of you now know, that there is a restriction by HOA for this. I was so very disappointed about it at first after knowing from the property management that the streets are public and that the HOA even with the restrictions can't enforce the "no overnight parking" restrictions. So I called the city attorney's office and they refered me to the municpal codes/city ordinance. Look at the municipal codes/city ordinance, there was nothing specific regarding parking in a subdivision. No luck. So I got in touch with the city and this was their reply.

"Here is the information from our Police Department. The homeowners association can enact bylaws to ban overnight street parking in the subdivision (and other things like mowing your yard or leaving your garbage can on the curb after the trash has been picked up). In regards to superseding a city ordinance, the HOA’s bylaws can further restrict a person such as no overnight parking on the street but they cannot permit a person to do something that is prohibited by city ordinance or state law (such as give you permission to park in front of a fire hydrant). The courts have upheld the ability of the HOA’s to regulate such things for the ‘good’ of the subdivision. Gated communities are considered private property and therefore have even more restrictive power. "

I vividly remember when we moved in to our new home, the roads were not completely finished yet - manholes were exposed. So we called the city and they told us, it was not the city's responsibility but it was the responsibility of the developer to finish it up. So I thought, the roads were not done by the city. So I searched about what happens once the developer leaves. Is the developer passing his rights or trustee to the city, state, or HOA? Here is what I found and it may be a case to case basis depending on the municipal code/ city ordinance or what the developer does. In my research, most developers of a subdivision passess it's rights to the HOA. Just want to share what I learned and is by no means a legal advice. Always check your municipal codes, city ordinnance or check with the city zoning comittee and don't forget to call your local police department. I hope this helps others know what to do when it comes to HOA restrictions with "no overnight" parking. BTW, finally got the HOA to enforce the "no overnight parking"

What are subdivision trust indentures?

Subdivision trust indentures are written agreements that restrict or limit property use or
activities in a subdivision. indentures also detail the rules and procedures under which the
subdivision will operate. These regulations and restrictions appear in the deed records and
are private contracts between a property buyer and a property seller. indentures are legally
binding documents, recognized by the State of Missouri and recorded with the St. Charles
County Recorder of Deeds.

Who must abide by subdivision trust indentures?

In the City of Wentzville, indentures are binding upon every property owner in a defined
private subdivision operating under an indenture. Additionally, all subsequent or future
owners of property in a deed restricted subdivision are required to abide by the indenture
as well.

How are indentures put into place?

indentures are usually created and activated on a subdivision by the initial developer. The
developers are generally referred to as the “First Party," and serve as the initial governors,
or trustees, of the subdivision. After set percentages of the lots are sold by the developer,
the developer begins to turn over the controls of the association to the Homeowners (see
your Covenants and Restrictions for the percentages that apply to your Association).

Who is responsible for informing new home buyers of the subdivision trust
indentures?

Since subdivision trust indentures are referenced on the title insurance policy, homebuyers
should become aware of the indentures at closing. Also, it is common for trustees or a
"Welcome Committee” of the subdivision association to educate new homeowners about
the indentures after they move in. Associations may wish to contact local realtors and
listing agents on “For Sale” properties to ensure that they are aware of the subdivision trust
indentures.

Why are use restrictions important for my neighborhood?

Use restrictions are intended to preserve a subdivision’s aesthetic appearance by setting
standards for property maintenance, rules for construction on new or existing structures,
and regulations for allowing or prohibiting certain uses or activities within a property in a
subdivision. Before beginning any home improvement projects, it is wise to contact the
subdivision trustees and review the subdivision indentures to ensure compliance

Subdivision trust indentures are written agreements that restrict or limit property use or
activities in a subdivision. indentures also detail the rules and procedures under which the
subdivision will operate. These regulations and restrictions appear in the deed records and
are private contracts between a property buyer and a property seller. indentures are legally
binding documents, recognized by the State of Missouri and recorded with the St. Charles

In the City of Wentzville, indentures are binding upon every property owner in a defined
private subdivision operating under an indenture. Additionally, all subsequent or future
owners of property in a deed restricted subdivision are required to abide by the indenture
as well.

indentures are usually created and activated on a subdivision by the initial developer. The
developers are generally referred to as the “First Party," and serve as the initial governors,
or trustees, of the subdivision. After set percentages of the lots are sold by the developer,
the developer begins to turn over the controls of the association to the Homeowners (see
your Covenants and Restrictions for the percentages that apply to your Association).

indentures?

Since subdivision trust indentures are referenced on the title insurance policy, homebuyers
should become aware of the indentures at closing. Also, it is common for trustees or a
"Welcome Committee” of the subdivision association to educate new homeowners about
the indentures after they move in. Associations may wish to contact local realtors and
listing agents on “For Sale” properties to ensure that they are aware of the subdivision trust
indentures.

Use restrictions are intended to preserve a subdivision’s aesthetic appearance by setting
standards for property maintenance, rules for construction on new or existing structures,
and regulations for allowing or prohibiting certain uses or activities within a property in a
subdivision. Before beginning any home improvement projects, it is wise to contact the

as well.

indentures?

indentures.

as well.

indentures?

indentures.

as well.

indentures?

indentures.

[font=arialbd]Subdivision trust indentures are written agreements that restrict or limit property use or

as well.

indentures?

indentures.

If someone can help me fix the font, tell me what to do and I'll try to fix. I just copied and pasted it.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:58 AM

372 posts, read 723,186 times
To clarify what the poster above posted and as one of the previous posters stated, if the road is controlled by the city, town or state, the signage posted will be stickered on the back of all road signs. Signs without these (Such as No Parking Signs) are not valid for enforcement on a public street or road.

NC G.S. 136-30 and Section 900. All signs and sign assemblies use printed self-adhesive stickers and are punched indicating the appropriate day, month, and year numbers with a hole punch. The sticker shall be placed on the back of each sign in the lower corner nearest the roadway. Mecklenburg county is in compliance with this.

As for jurisdiction, if it is / are a public street or road, your local law enforcement agency is responsible for enforcement.

If it's not classified as a designated Class IV, V or VI, for jurisdiction, and signage posted accordingly, usually Class VI in most cases of subdivisions and managed by a NC official agency, the road (S) are more than likely considered PVA's.

If the road or street (S) are such as contained in gated communities and as such, are considered PVA's, and not maintained by any city, county state agency, and not a properly designated street or road by a government authority, the HOA can enforce a ruling such as this, provided they have the wording contained and outlined properly within their rules and they are in compliance of any towing ordinance rules, guidelines and restrictions that have been established by their local government.

If it is a public street, road, and the signage does not exist, or was placed there by the HOA (And it's not stickered accordingly) then they have NO AUTHORITY to enforce, tow, threaten or impose any penalty or fine whatsoever on the home owner. Sure, they can send you ugly e-mails or letters. Doesn't matter. End of story.

Municipalities may by ordinance regulate, restrict, or prohibit parking on public roads and bridges within their municipal limits. NCDOT permission or concurrence is not required if parking is prohibited on any portion of the State Highway System (This includes roads and streets) that is within a municipality (§160A-301, a). However, if parking is prohibited by a municipality, then a copy of the ordinance should be provided to NCDOT since there is no other venue for NCDOT to have knowledge of the ordinance.

Here in Charlotte, you can contact CDOT or your local city office (Huntersville, Matthews, Mint Hill, Pineville Cornelius, Davidson) for further clarification as to its proper designation.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 PM

10 posts, read 45,580 times
@oneuvkind, does that mean, contract law is null and void in this case? The homeowner waive his rights to park in public streets and bylaws clearly state that homeowners has to park his car in the garage or driveway.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:27 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple1 View Post
@oneuvkind, does that mean, contract law is null and void in this case? ....
In NC it is not possible to write a legal contract that would violate state statutes. Hence a clause such as this would not be a valid contract in the first place. (not saying it voids the rest of the agreement) Ultimately the only enforcement authority the HOA has, resides in the court and then only via foreclosure of unpaid fees and fines. This is established in the HOA statutes in this state.

IMO, while messy, a HOA that tried to foreclose on a home because a party legally parked his car on a city street and then refused to pay HOA fines for it, is going to get into very deep water very fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte