Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:17 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,164,128 times

Advertisements

I don't get why people who don't like HOA rules move into a HOA community???
When purchasing/renting in a HOA rulled place, I would think the sensible thing to do is to read the rules before committing.

Believe it or not, there are many people that love the HOA and their rules, since they hate the "pink flamingo's" & "park on the lawn" type of neighborhoods...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple1 View Post
... I'm just not familiar with it.
Indeed. I recommend you read Chapter 47 of the NC State Statutes, "The North Carolina Planned Community Act", for the powers given to HOWs in this state.

There is not a state statute that invalidates contracts and this wasn't stated. What was stated is that you can't create a valid contract that would violate a state statute. Implicit in that, is you can't give yourself rights and powers, such as regulating parking on public streets, by writing a contract. Parking regulations on public streets are handled by the city councils, not HOAs.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 AM

10 posts, read 45,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Indeed. I recommend you read Chapter 47 of the NC State Statutes, "The North Carolina Planned Community Act", for the powers given to HOWs in this state.

There is not a state statute that invalidates contracts and this wasn't stated. What was stated is that you can't create a valid contract that would violate a state statute. Implicit in that, is you can't give yourself rights and powers, such as regulating parking on public streets, by writing a contract. Parking regulations on public streets are handled by the city councils, not HOAs.
If you look at it though, city councils, city codes or ordinace does not include specific instructions when it comes to parking in a subdivision. In public places on public streets, they do have specific instructions. That's why I ask you if you have talked to your local enforcement agency as to what their stance is in regards to this situation. I'm sure, your local enforcement agency should be able to give you some highlight on this. I'll look into chapter 47 and thanks for the direction.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
If you look at it though, city councils, city codes or ordinace does not include specific instructions when it comes to parking in a subdivision.
Yes they do. Please show me where municipal laws don't apply to subdivisions. You question about the police is meaningless.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,764,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I don't get why people who don't like HOA rules move into a HOA community???
When purchasing/renting in a HOA rulled place, I would think the sensible thing to do is to read the rules before committing.

Believe it or not, there are many people that love the HOA and their rules, since they hate the "pink flamingo's" & "park on the lawn" type of neighborhoods...
Parking on the lawn is a violation of Charlotte ordinances. I'm not aware of any NC HOA that doesn't allow pink flamingos but if there are some I'm sure I can't afford to live there.

The law and society evolve.

OTOH as I've stated before, I bet most people don't even know how to absolutely verify on their own what their HOA rules even are. I don't mean some website for the neighborhood or talking to an agent or even the closing lawyer. I mean how to tell by looking at the legal documents directly.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM

10 posts, read 45,600 times
Quote:
Yes they do. Please show me where municipal laws don't apply to subdivisions. You question about the police is meaningless.
I'm just throwing that question since they are the enforcer of the municipal laws. Won't hurt to ask.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I'm just throwing that question since they are the enforcer of the municipal laws. Won't hurt to ask.
It would be a better question for a district attorney. I can't find caselaw so none of us can be sure.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
That's right. HOAs don't write municipal law.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
It would be a better question for a district attorney.
I can't imagine why a DA would be bothered with the contents of a HOA contract.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I can't imagine why a DA would be bothered with the contents of a HOA contract.
If someone was going to ask a general question I'd rather it be to the prosecutor or maybe the attorney general. I'm sure not going to survey random police officers.

I wouldn't do either. I said what I would do and in fact am doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte