Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:41 AM

181 posts, read 353,446 times

Advertisements

more thug activity around the university.....

Police: 2 robbed, attacked by stun gun near UNCC

Police: 2 robbed, attacked by stun gun near UNCC | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 11:38 AM

495 posts, read 1,077,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC72 View Post
more thug activity around the university.....

Police: 2 robbed, attacked by stun gun near UNCC

Police: 2 robbed, attacked by stun gun near UNCC | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
That's right. Coped can try to sweep this stuff under the rug as much as he/she wants to, but when these supposed "random, it could happen anywhere events" happen frequently enough, the more realistic read is that, "yeah, that's just the way this part of town is."

Old 06-14-2012, 12:09 PM

365 posts, read 499,162 times
Don't live in Myers Park!!!
Police: Father kills son in south Charlotte | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

You have to understand Univ. area is a huge area

It has a population of 155,000

Old 06-14-2012, 12:13 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis101 View Post
Don't live in Myers Park!!!
Police: Father kills son in south Charlotte | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

You have to understand Univ. area is a huge area

It has a population of 155,000
Domestic violence isn't the same as thug violence

Old 06-14-2012, 07:17 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,028,509 times
That isn't "thug" violence per se. It is most likely drug related and, less likely to be random. When these things happen, the people usually know each other...

Old 06-15-2012, 02:53 PM

152 posts, read 292,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
That isn't "thug" violence per se. It is most likely drug related and, less likely to be random. When these things happen, the people usually know each other...
Everyone seems to have this same point of view about crime in Charlotte. So all the victims know their assailants??? IMO - crime rates seem very high regardless.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:29 PM

55 posts, read 76,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I don't think there is a firm definition of the University Area, but I've lived here since the 70s and was always under the impression that the University Area/University City meant the area around UNCC that is East of I-85.

Highland Creek is several miles west of there so I would not consider it part of this area.
This. UC area is only east of 85. West of 85 and north of Harris all the way up to Huntesrville and Highland Creek (and further north) and you are fine. Actually a very desirable middle market area. Awesome commute for new Electrolux employees and very close to Northlake Mall and Lake Norman.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:08 PM

365 posts, read 499,162 times
Highland Creek is part of UC

Old 06-16-2012, 09:35 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Been living in the University Area for almost 3yrs now. Currently off N. Tryon near 485.

The major problem I notice that keeps this area from being like the college areas of most other cities I've been to is what seems to have been poor planning of the layout of the area. As it stands there are only 4 routes in/out of the area (Tryon, Harris, Mallard Creek Church, and University City Blvd). Tons of sprawl, very little walkability, and extremely high traffic. I know Charlotte is planning to address some of these issues with their long-term UC goals, but that's probably several years from now.

Another thing I noticed is that there seem to be very little amenities geared towards students for a college with as many students as UNCC. You still have to go Uptown for the most part if you want to experience any decent nightlife. Also a large number of the students seem to leave the area and go out of town on the weekends and holidays.

As for the crime, I think it's being highly exaggerated on this board. Loud car music scaring people? That happens in almost any urban area. Though I've never experienced it personally, I'm aware that there are the occasional car break-ins or minor property crimes/theft. Doesn't seem any higher than any other areas. Due to the student population, there are sometimes rowdy people being drunk and belligerent in some of the apartment complexes (mainly the ones very close to campus).

Now if the areas south of the I-85 service rd/N. Tryon intersection are considered part of the University Area, then that's a different story for crime. I always thought they were considered a different neighborhood.

It's not a bad area at all as long as you don't mind driving to get everywhere you need to go. Nothing up here that makes me think "ghetto" or feel afraid. There are areas in Charlotte that are decent to live in besides South Charlotte/Ballantyne.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Been living in the University Area for almost 3yrs now. Currently off N. Tryon near 485.

The major problem I notice that keeps this area from being like the college areas of most other cities I've been to is what seems to have been poor planning of the layout of the area. As it stands there are only 4 routes in/out of the area (Tryon, Harris, Mallard Creek Church, and University City Blvd). Tons of sprawl, very little walkability, and extremely high traffic. I know Charlotte is planning to address some of these issues with their long-term UC goals, but that's probably several years from now.

Another thing I noticed is that there seem to be very little amenities geared towards students for a college with as many students as UNCC. You still have to go Uptown for the most part if you want to experience any decent nightlife. Also a large number of the students seem to leave the area and go out of town on the weekends and holidays.

As for the crime, I think it's being highly exaggerated on this board. Loud car music scaring people? That happens in almost any urban area. Though I've never experienced it personally, I'm aware that there are the occasional car break-ins or minor property crimes/theft. Doesn't seem any higher than any other areas. Due to the student population, there are sometimes rowdy people being drunk and belligerent in some of the apartment complexes (mainly the ones very close to campus).

Now if the areas south of the I-85 service rd/N. Tryon intersection are considered part of the University Area, then that's a different story for crime. I always thought they were considered a different neighborhood.

It's not a bad area at all as long as you don't mind driving to get everywhere you need to go. Nothing up here that makes me think "ghetto" or feel afraid. There are areas in Charlotte that are decent to live in besides South Charlotte/Ballantyne.
Those are personally my biggest gripes about the area from my visit last week. University City seemed extremely suburban which is pretty odd for a major college campus.

It may not be fair to compare UNCC to U of Louisville but UofL is much more walkable and has a historic housing stock and urban environment that adds to its appeal. UNCC is pretty much in the suburbs and removed from downtown while UofL is right in the heart of the city and right outside downtown Louisville, so I don't think if that is a fair comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte