Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times

Advertisements

I was on Elm waiting to turn right onto Ballantyne Parkway. Had red light. Some cars were turning into Elm from BPkwy but there were cars in the other lane going straight. I hate to turn into the lane when there are cars in the second lane.

Car behind me kept honking at me. So I sucked it up and looked, sure enough some cars were turning into Elm freeing up the first lane. Despite cars driving straight in the second lane, I bravely pull out only to hear a huge honk and looking up to see a car that was in the second lane wanting to switch lanes and almost hits me. She swerved back into her lane.

Sigh, see this is why i don't like to turn right on red unless BOTH lanes are clear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 07:30 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
You can turn right on red unless a sign states otherwise . You can only tun into the lane closet to you but must yield to those who have a green light. No exceptions The cars behind you are not going to pay your insurance
Turn procedures are covered in the handbook
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles: Driver Handbook

Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,631,069 times
Well, cars are not supposed to switch lanes in an intersection...

But being "right" doesn't do you a lot of good if you're involved in an accident.

If you can't make your right turn safely and without impedding oncoming traffic, then wait until you can. the car behind you will just have to wait. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I was on Elm waiting to turn right onto Ballantyne Parkway. Had red light. Some cars were turning into Elm from BPkwy but there were cars in the other lane going straight. I hate to turn into the lane when there are cars in the second lane.

Car behind me kept honking at me. So I sucked it up and looked, sure enough some cars were turning into Elm freeing up the first lane. Despite cars driving straight in the second lane, I bravely pull out only to hear a huge honk and looking up to see a car that was in the second lane wanting to switch lanes and almost hits me. She swerved back into her lane.

Sigh, see this is why i don't like to turn right on red unless BOTH lanes are clear!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:04 PM

69 posts, read 263,130 times
I totally agree...let the person keep on honking. It seriously annoys me when people honk at you when their behind you. You can just be really nice and not go at all. What makes them think honking is going to help? GRRRR.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:35 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkydinkydoo View Post
I totally agree...let the person keep on honking. It seriously annoys me when people honk at you when their behind you. You can just be really nice and not go at all. What makes them think honking is going to help? GRRRR.
I agree. Alot of people think that if you want to turn right you are suspose to do it on red..WRONG...You have that option but waiting for the green light before you turn is OK and your right. People that honk the horn at me get "the bird" If the person behind you wants to turn right on red thats their option but not until its their turn at the light. You got there first..

Old 10-07-2009, 09:04 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,219 times
At a "double lane right only" such as Sharon Road west to South Blvd, it is legal to be in the "inner" right only lane and turn right on red. However other motorists can be unfamiliar with this, and may swerve left as you both pull out.

Despite that problem I tend to prefer being in the inner right turn lane. If you don't use it, and try to stop in the rightmost lane, you may have some big SUV pull up next to you on the left and block your sight line, which prevents a safe right-on-red.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:28 AM

98 posts, read 619,052 times
Geez folks are so impaitent and quite often they are going noone that requires them to be impaitient. Hell I just let em honk until it's safe for me to proceed. I will be one having to fork over my deductible if I get into an accident. So I just put them on ignore.

Old 10-08-2009, 06:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
The next time someone is beind you and honks. Use some southern charm and just wave (lmao)

Old 10-08-2009, 06:46 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
At a "double lane right only" such as Sharon Road west to South Blvd, it is legal to be in the "inner" right only lane and turn right on red. However other motorists can be unfamiliar with this, and may swerve left as you both pull out.

Despite that problem I tend to prefer being in the inner right turn lane. If you don't use it, and try to stop in the rightmost lane, you may have some big SUV pull up next to you on the left and block your sight line, which prevents a safe right-on-red.
I think most people are well aware of the rule that you can't turn right on red from the outer lane but they do it anyway.

I know exactly what the OP is talking about, many times I have not turned on red because I had the feeling someone was going to change lanes as I was pulling out. Bottom line, don't let someone honking behind you affect your judgement of when to pull out.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:28 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times
If someone honks at me, they can expect to wait until I am good and ready to let them go. Heck, I may even be "digging around for something" a good 10 seconds into a green light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte