Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 07:14 AM

6 posts, read 14,749 times

Advertisements

I plan to move to the Charlotte area pending employment. I am not seeking relocation reimbursement, just employment. I would be very thankful for any suggested links other than CharlotteJobs, Careerbuilder, Monster Jobs or Craigslist. Also, if you know of a company hiring please post the link. I am really excited about moving to NC, however, I really need to have a job prior to making the move. When I was a teenager, I lived in Charlotte with my Aunt who owns Charlotte Plantscapes so I am familiar with the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 09:47 AM

41 posts, read 178,308 times
Default jobs

don)t move here if you dont have a job it will take you a good year to find something lots of comp to many people no jobs

Old 10-09-2007, 08:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,042 times
Default The legwork is up to you

Google, Charlotte's top industries and go to their home page. I'm quite certain Wachovia, Bank of America and UBS have jobs. One thing to add to the top of your resume is that you do not require any relocation assistance. This would allow jobs to know that you are serious about moving and are willing to foot your own cost. I've been here exactly 3 months from NY and found my job through a firm in NY who has a firm in NC. They worked with me for 12 years and was happy to push me to Charlotte. However, no one is going to directly link you with a job.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:27 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,702 times
Arussell-You did a transfer which most people do to get jobs quickly. Sadly there are a LOT of people in Charlotte with admin skills. Those companies with openings like the banks take at least 3 months to reply to people. I lived in the area in 03' and could not find a job and had to leave. Charlotte is flooded with people.

I would suggest the orig poster call some local temp agencies and ask them what the local job market is like. When I was there you could not do a 'walk-in' at the temp agencies you had to have an appointment. Even then there would be a 2 inch stack of resumes on the recruiters desks.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:11 AM

6 posts, read 14,749 times
Yeah, after sending my resume to over 30 companies, I have not received a single reply. I did write in my emails and covers that I did not expect relocation expenses, however, this has not helped. In lieu of this, I have decided to stay in Florida and in fact just got another raise in my current position. Thanks for the replies.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:08 AM

396 posts, read 1,435,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgrant65 View Post
Yeah, after sending my resume to over 30 companies, I have not received a single reply. I did write in my emails and covers that I did not expect relocation expenses, however, this has not helped. In lieu of this, I have decided to stay in Florida and in fact just got another raise in my current position. Thanks for the replies.
That's too bad--- best of luck to you anyway!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:50 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,299,572 times
I moved here last year with no job and had two meetings a week after arriving - an interview I had set up before our move, and a meeting with a headhunter. The interview went well. The headhunter claimed I had an outstanding resume but that I'd never get the salary I was requesting. I told her I would because my resume' showed I was worth every penny.

The very next day, I got a job offer from the interviewing company AND the headhunter called to say she had a position that paid the salary I was requesting and fit my resume' to a tee.

So needless to say, it CAN happen - part of it is timing and luck, sure, but as long as you have a well-organized easy-to-read resume' and the confidence that you WILL find a job, it'll happen.

I definitely recommend going the headhunter route as the "easiest" route though, and make sure when you leave that appointment that they believe you are their BEST candidate for ANY positions that come in their doorway.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:25 AM

693 posts, read 2,177,016 times
I was wondering... when people have posted about there being a lack of jobs in Charlotte, are they speaking specifically of Charlotte itself or of the outlying towns as well?

I assume people seek jobs in Charlotte because the salaries are a bit higher there, but if you didn't mind a lower salary are there jobs for smaller companies in the suburbs?

To Pat1949, while I agree thats a good strategy, it seems that it is very common that many move to Charlotte because of a spouse or partner's job. It's unfortunate, but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: