Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2012, 01:58 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
This isn't even coherent. An email from a male councilman from that district was posted..
Maybe you are not familiar with the term due diligence. And I'm sure that the local councilman is behind the spending of millions in his district. This is what he is elected to do.

An inquiry is not a request for proposal. Inquiry can mean anything and there are a lot of "woulds" instead of "wills". The rest is nonsense. It first says it will remove commercial space to be replaced by a city, non-taxable property, then it states the goal is to increase tax revenue. Aside from the obvious contradiction where is the math? This is what a study will provide.

Due Diligence also examines alternatives. Where is it?

I have a question for you. Do you pay Charlotte property taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 07:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Okay. Here's the thing. Something needs to happen with the property. I am saddened that mere discussion of possible uses seems to be divisive.

I am excited to find out someone is willing to move forward proactively -- I would voluntarily give my services--gratis-- to help with any project the city would select to get this area of our fair city turned around.

There are many possibilities for Eastland's future. There is no reason this has to be a loser for the city. Before anything is done, I am certain all aspects of a project, joint venture, contract, sale -- whatever-- will be properly vetted. questions will be answered.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:07 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,201,880 times
Another idea for the place would be to turn it into a neighborhood school ....Call it "THE CMS SCHOOL FOR LOSERS" LOL

Old 07-22-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
There are many possibilities for Eastland's future. There is no reason this has to be a loser for the city. Before anything is done, I am certain all aspects of a project, joint venture, contract, sale -- whatever-- will be properly vetted. questions will be answered.
If they are going to vote on it next week, I bet not.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:45 AM

126 posts, read 296,027 times
The slow decline and closing of the mall has really taken the entire East side with it.

Question is: Can the Charlotte market support another "mall"?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:26 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times
Great post.
I loath the uptown crowd and their rabbit hole pet projects which nearly always become a sinkhole for our taxes.
I can say this, been here 40+ yrs...

If this could have been a profitable venture, then private businesses would have already made it so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I'm against government getting into the private development business as they often do a horrible job at it, and it creates an unfair advantage for those receiving the government handout vs those who don't. IF and I say IF the city actually had a concrete well thought out plan, including commitments from developers that this investment would lead to an increase in property values then it might be supportable. There are none, and even then, as we saw with the Nascar HOF, they lied abou the numbers.

Of course there are plenty of people in this city, including those who never pay taxes who look to government for all solutions and wish to socialize all business failures.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:01 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
Great post.
I loath the uptown crowd and their rabbit hole pet projects which nearly always become a sinkhole for our taxes.
I can say this, been here 40+ yrs...

If this could have been a profitable venture, then private businesses would have already made it so.
mullman, you know that I respect your opinions. This has been covered by the local newscasts. Apparently there is a developer involved. The city was approached with a package deal.

As I've said, I was told that there have been numerous inqueries. This area lost the 2nd installment of the Hunger Games to Georgia & Atlanta for this exact reason. If that isn't a good enough reason to act on it, I don't know what is.

If the city council in Charlotte doesn't act on this something else will happen with the mall, later. If this is passed on in Charlotte the studio concept will happen outside of Charlotte. Gastonia & Kings Mountain are aggressively seeking businesses. Both cities have land for sale, ready for redevelopment or development. There's a 635 acre tract of land, just off exit 10 on the Gaston side of Kings Mountain Twp. that is for sale. That's plenty of space to build a studio, soundstages, some restaurants, props rental shops, short term apartments, a motel, & everything else that's needed, besides having outdoor set space, with Crowders Mountain as a backdrop.

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-23-2012 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
mullman, you know that I respect your opinions. This has been covered by the local newscasts. Apparently there is a daveloper involved. The city was approached with a package deal.
Then it's crony capitalism. If Eastland is purchased by the city for the sole purpose of making it easy for a private developer then they might be in violation of state law and/or they are not supposed to sell city property without competitive bids. mullman is absolutely right. The other points you have given are talking points given by supporters and are mostly logical fallacies.

Did you ever answer the question about paying Charlotte city property taxes?

In any case I don't think you need to worry. Charlotte has already repeated this act many times and has a list of failed projects to show for it. They will pass this one too.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Then it's crony capitalism. If Eastland is purchased by the city for the sole purpose of making it easy for a private developer then they might be in violation of state law and/or they are not supposed to sell city property without competitive bids. mullman is absolutely right. The other points you have given are talking points given by supporters and are mostly logical fallacies.

Did you ever answer the question about paying Charlotte city property taxes?

In any case I don't think you need to worry. Charlotte has already repeated this act many times and has a list of failed projects to show for it. They will pass this one too.
I pay Kings Mountain City property taxes, not that it's any of your business. You've made numerous comments about living up in the Lake Norman area, so it can safely be assumed that you don't pay Charlotte City taxes either. I'm not worried in the least, & would rather see it built in Gastonia or Kings Mountain. I'd be happy for Charlotte to get it, because I understand that the main city in a metro/CSA needs to be healthy.

If Charlotte goes through with this & you don't like it, go ahead & sue.

Having worked in broadcasting for over 20 years, I'm not giving talking points that don't have logic. What's your background in? I can tell that it isn't film or TV.

You can strike me from your commie witch-hunt list.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I pay Kings Mountain City property taxes, not that it's any of your business. You've made numerous comments about living up in the Lake Norman area, so it can safely be assumed that you don't pay Charlotte City taxes either. .
I've stated several times that I own property in Charlotte and pay taxes on it. I've lived here for a long time.

Unless Kings Mountain is going to kick in funding for Eastland mall it's irrelevant. Charlotte tax burden is the highest in NC and it is of concern to people paying it. It's easy to advocate for a project when nothing will come out of your pocket. The ones of us who live here, unfortunately, have no such luxury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte