Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 06:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times

Advertisements

Another grocery shopping thread.

Food Lion has launched its new branding strategy in Charlotte, lowering prices on thousands of items and introducing fresher produce items. The grocery chain has previously launched the upgrade in other North Carolina markets like Raleigh.

Only reason I go to Food Kitty is to buy 'Chef Micheal' can dog food to mix it with my Sheltie 'Taste of Wild' sometime 'Blue' dry food.

I dont know how long this re-branding or cost has been going on.

Food Lion rebrands Charlotte stores | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 07:10 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,733,134 times
Food Lion has an extremely hard uphill battle IMO..its reputation is unfortunately a trashy dirty store...(that is the feeling not just by me, but by alot of people I've spoken with..)

Their prices are already low (like Walmart) and their customer service stinks (like Walmart)...so to me they are Walmart's little brother.....

Good for people on a strict budget who really watch what they spend, but that's all your getting....never expect it to be as nice/clean/friendly as say the Teeter's in the Charlotte area.

I go there on rare occasions when its convienent and I need staple items.....

Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
Food Lion is much more convienent for me to get to (except during rush hour when Idlewild and 51 back up) so I would go there, but the place is dirty. Maybe they should look into cleaning up their stores as well. Also, I haven't compared the prices but HT has them on a cleaner store, nicer employees, better deli & hot food and "gourmet" items.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:51 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
I agree with couponJack on this one. I'll just wait for the sales and go to HT. Food lions, at least in my area are yukky for the most part and as far as customer service--well they don't have any!! Their veggies and meat quality are poor--the only thing I ever buy there is paper products when they are on sale. They say they would like to strive to be more on the WalMart and Aldis level--Well I don't much like WalMart either and they will never be able to compete with Aldis in my opinion. I think it's a nice idea--but that is about all it is.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:52 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,656,099 times
I used to like to go to the bloom store on Park Road close to Ideal Way, and I was so disappointed when that was converted to a Food Lion. The customer service there, though, has stayed above-par, and the store is clean and still has some gourmet/organic items (not much fresh organic produce, though). I thought the quality would go downhill, and while they don't have the variety of items bloom used to have, it's still nice. Bet the neighborhood has something to do with that.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:03 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
ROFLMAO!!! This is their 3rd stab at this. It's sure not working out here.

Lowes Foods did in one step what Food Lion is trying to do after 3 steps.

I just went through flyers for Ingles, Lowes Foods, & Food Lion. Food Lion is now in the ballpark, price-wise, but Ingles & Lowes Foods still beat them. Bi-Lo is harder to compare. Food Lion has alienated so many people, at this point, that I don't see this saving them out here. They aren't cheap unless you compare them to Teeter.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:19 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
I made the mistake of telling the manager in my local Food Lion that I don't come there often. She, of course, asked me why not. I told her one of the reasons I go to Teeter (a big reason) is for their subs. She says "We have subs!" to which I responded "freshly made to order?" and I just got a blank stare.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:20 AM

80 posts, read 170,751 times
“We’re getting back to the basics,” he said. “I think we can compete against Harris Teeter, Bi-Lo; we can compete against anybody.”

This quote is ridiculous. Losing additional market share, they clearly can not compete after several failed attempts. Getting back to basics, would require a complete overhaul of the stores & staff. Lack of competitive prices, disgusting stores and unfriendly staff require a little more than a slight change in branding strategy.
I hate to see any company with local HQ's struggle in this economy, but the more Food Lion struggles I think the stronger argument can be made for Publix to continue moving north.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:30 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,733,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
She says "We have subs!" to which I responded "freshly made to order?" and I just got a blank stare.

Here's another one.

When I made the mistake of waiting for cold cuts at my local FL deli counter, I waited for literally 5 minutes before the old lady turned around from the washing sink...(she didn't want to deal w/customers). Finally, when I got her attention, I said "sliced thin", and what I received was turkey breast that was the thickness of a phone book.....never again.....

lol, yeah......gotta love when people have their finger on the pulse of the customer...

Old 07-19-2012, 09:38 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean22 View Post
“We’re getting back to the basics,” he said. “I think we can compete against Harris Teeter, Bi-Lo; we can compete against anybody.”

This quote is ridiculous. Losing additional market share, they clearly can not compete after several failed attempts. Getting back to basics, would require a complete overhaul of the stores & staff. Lack of competitive prices, disgusting stores and unfriendly staff require a little more than a slight change in branding strategy.
I hate to see any company with local HQ's struggle in this economy, but the more Food Lion struggles I think the stronger argument can be made for Publix to continue moving north.
That's a laugh. They haven't been able to compete against Ingles.

Food Lion's headquarters may be local, but they are Belgian owned. Ingles & Lowes Foods are NC companies & Teeter is local to Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte