Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Officials from the Charlotte Area Transit System, UNC-Charlotte and state and local leaders signed a state full funding grant agreement for the 9.4-mile extension of the line from uptown Charlotte to the UNC-C campus in University City.
The agreement binds the N.C. Department of Transportation to pay for 25 percent, or $290 million, of the project's estimated $1.16 billion price tag.

The Federal Transit Administration is set to sign a funding agreement with CATS in August that will cover half of the project's cost.
The remaining amount will be paid for with funds generated from the half-cent sales tax for transit.
read more State commits to funding Lynx Blue Line extension to UNCC - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 04:38 PM

515 posts, read 1,037,267 times
That's $23,000 per foot, being built at a rate of 30ft per day....awesome....

Really it costs 1 billion for a measly 10 miles of rail...how can that possible be...

Old 04-19-2012, 06:26 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,043,276 times
Can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2012, 07:11 PM

189 posts, read 333,977 times
I wish they could open up stations as they go. I'd love to take the Lynx to Noda sooner than 2017.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,859,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
That's $23,000 per foot, being built at a rate of 30ft per day....awesome....

Really it costs 1 billion for a measly 10 miles of rail...how can that possible be...
outdated regulations , requirements and purchasing ROW costs 70% of the 1 Billion....if you get rid of the outdated crap you'll shave 500 Million off and bring it to European levels instead of expensive Japan levels and there costs are due to space and not regulations....

Old 04-20-2012, 04:55 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,202 times
If they paid for Japanese level of rail service, I would say they didn't get their money's worth.

However in the scheme of things, the money the Federal Government is giving Charlotte for this project represents about 90 minutes of federal spending, so I guess that it's good that CLT will get a little share of it.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:16 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,498 times
I was tinkering in photoshop and created a Lynx train in the center of Indep. Freeway. I had to paste in the new Duke Energy Bldg since I did not have a current view from this angle. Looks pretty good huh? Not perfect but hey.....

I wish Charlotte had made rail lines to the airport and east/southeast towards Monroe a priority.
Attached Thumbnails
Light Rail Blue Line extension set to be finish by 2017-lynx_74.jpg  

Old 07-30-2012, 12:14 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
I was tinkering in photoshop and created a Lynx train in the center of Indep. Freeway. I had to paste in the new Duke Energy Bldg since I did not have a current view from this angle. Looks pretty good huh? Not perfect but hey.....

I wish Charlotte had made rail lines to the airport and east/southeast towards Monroe a priority.
It's nice that they're taking the line to the university area, but I agree with you that the east/west corridors shouldn't have been left out. Maybe when the Gateway Station opens & the Gastonia line is running, they could work out a bus link, On the other hand, I doubt that Gastonia would agree to it after the way that CATS treated them.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:46 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,397,613 times
^ how did cats treat Gastonia?

And I'm stoked for the BLE!!!!!!

I wish from gateway station LRT would go down Wilkinson to get to the airport then loop around to Tyvola out to southpark. It could have connections to the blue line and if the blue line could (should...) get extended to ballantyne, people from the airport would have rail options to Uptown, Southpark, Ballantyne, UNCC, and the colesium area (maybe the colesium area could get more momentum. It feels so sterile right now..)

Old 07-30-2012, 08:08 AM

601 posts, read 964,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post

That's a cool photoshop. I think Light Rail would have been very effective down Independence.

However, they've pretty much scraped the idea of Light Rail down US-74. It's been recommended that a Streetcar-line be placed down Monroe road, which is an okay idea, but Light Rail would be better utilized in this corridor. What they should down is run Light Rail next the CSX railroad, which would allow Light Rail to run all the way out to Matthews (with expansion to go out to Monroe). They can also do the same going towards the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte