Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 4,744 times

Advertisements

My husband will be leaving the military in October. Initially we were thinking of moving to Houston after hearing so much about the low cost of living and the job market then decided that there are few jobs in the Logistics and Transportation industry (my husband's current job in the Marines) as we had hoped there.

We were both born and raised in SW Georgia, but have no desire to return. We do miss the greenery, friendly people, and just overall better environment than we've experienced living in Chicago for the past 3 years.

Here's where we stand right now...we are looking at Charlotte and the Raleigh area. We're planning a visit in September, but in the interim I would like to compile as much information as I can.

We have 3 kids. By the time we relocate they will be in 6th and 8th grade, and we have a 1 year old. Great schools are very important, but I do know that it will depend on the neighborhood we would be living in (our rent budget is between 1,000-1,300 for a 3-4 bedroom home or apt.). We're active and like to hike, bike, and go to the beach, visit museums, aquariums, and libraries. Good non franchise like restaurants would be ideal. Oh and farmers markets and quality grocery stores like The Fresh Market, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods, but local stores would be awesome too. We are a mixed raced family and are looking for a diverse neighborhood, but as long as the majority are friendly and non confrontational then we're good. Can someone recommend 2 or 3 neighborhoods that we could visit while we're there?

I haven't worked for the last 2 years to be at home with the baby, but am thinking of working part time and returning to school on a part time basis as well. I'd like to seek work in the nonprofit sector as I would be returning to school for social work. How's the job market in that category? I'm willing to even work full time if part time doesn't become an option. Then I would be looking for a good quality daycare.

My husband is looking for a job that will allow for easy transition from the military to civilian life until he is able to complete his IT degree. As I stated he has over 12 years of experience in logistics and transportation in the military. We're just unsure of what companies to start looking at.

We've giving ourselves 6 months (half the amount of living expenses we've saved for) to try and make a living and a home in NC before we resort to our last option of my husband taking a deployment job overseas. This will keep him away from home for at least a year. I want that to be our absolute last option. If anyone can provide some direction and suggestions we would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by momluvspink; 08-06-2012 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: added a few possible requirements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 10:04 PM

anyone?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:29 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,352,896 times
The job market here is not the best. Several have been unemployed for years , and have thrown in the towel. With a housing budget such as yours , the city is your oyster , just be cautious. Regarding schools , IDK , I don't have kids. They do leave alot to be desired , and there are alternatives. The aforementioned stores exist here , and are situated in droll areas of town. Ethnic makeup of families is no issue , but will be an issue in outlying areas. You may be interested in Highland Creek , Dilworth , Faires Farms , or Davis Lake. There will be others here who will attempt to steer you to S.Charlotte , but ultimately , it is up to you. Personally , after 3 years of being in S.Charlotte , I'm at my wits end , and I'll leave it at that. Good luck!!

Old 08-07-2012, 03:48 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momluvspink View Post
anyone?
There are literally 1000s of neighborhoods in this metro that meet the very general criteria that you gave. You didn't tell us anything that would help to narrow it down. This is probably why there is a lack of response. I'd recommend that you read through previous threads, where people were asking for specifics and then pick those that sound like something you would be interested in.

Charlotte isn't much of a military town as the closest base that I can think of is in Columbia, SC (95 miles) so I would imagine that local support groups for ex-military are rather limited. Given what you said, you may also wish to look between Columbia & Charleston because there is a lot of military there, and there is a new Boeing plant in N. Charleston where they are building 787 airliners. Certainly there would be a call for logistics skills there at either the plant or one of their suppliers.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
The job market here is not the best. Several have been unemployed for years , and have thrown in the towel. With a housing budget such as yours , the city is your oyster , just be cautious. Regarding schools , IDK , I don't have kids. They do leave alot to be desired , and there are alternatives. The aforementioned stores exist here , and are situated in droll areas of town. Ethnic makeup of families is no issue , but will be an issue in outlying areas. You may be interested in Highland Creek , Dilworth , Faires Farms , or Davis Lake. There will be others here who will attempt to steer you to S.Charlotte , but ultimately , it is up to you. Personally , after 3 years of being in S.Charlotte , I'm at my wits end , and I'll leave it at that. Good luck!!
The job market seems to be a disaster everywhere unfortunately. We really want to get out of Chicago. The school district is beyond horrible and everything is very expensive and it's just too cold! Thanks for the information. It seems as if our last option maybe our only options such is life right? Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!

Old 08-07-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
There are literally 1000s of neighborhoods in this metro that meet the very general criteria that you gave. You didn't tell us anything that would help to narrow it down. This is probably why there is a lack of response. I'd recommend that you read through previous threads, where people were asking for specifics and then pick those that sound like something you would be interested in.

Charlotte isn't much of a military town as the closest base that I can think of is in Columbia, SC (95 miles) so I would imagine that local support groups for ex-military are rather limited. Given what you said, you may also wish to look between Columbia & Charleston because there is a lot of military there, and there is a new Boeing plant in N. Charleston where they are building 787 airliners. Certainly there would be a call for logistics skills there at either the plant or one of their suppliers.

I'm sorry if my original post indicated that we were looking for military friendly neighborhood as oppose to jobs that were easy to transition from after being in the military. Is that what you were implying when you mentioned Charlotte not being a military town? I assumed that my post was specific as I could, but thanks for the response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte