Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:34 PM

15 posts, read 46,230 times

Advertisements

Hi Im a 24 year old male moving to Charlotte the end of october.I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on some good areas to move to.I've looked in the Ballantyne area,Southpark,and North(Around North Lake mall) I actually already reserved an apt at Perimeter Station across the street from North lake mall but Im not 100% sure if thats the best choice just yet. Im not that familiar with the area I Really just did most of my looking online. I also been thinking about Providence court apts which i believe is in South Charlotte, And Alexander place apts located in South Park. Any Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanx very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 06:39 PM

509 posts, read 1,803,431 times
Where are you going to work?

Without knowing that, I'd recommend Uptown, Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, or if you want suburbia Birkdale in Huntersville. People love Ballantyne but it's not my cup of tea.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:40 PM

69 posts, read 263,185 times
Alexander Place has horrible customer service. I can't discuss where I work but I have had numerous encounters with them. I would not tell anyone to live there! If your looking for a social scene I would stay clear of Ballantyne. It is too far from everything. Southpark area is okay but the traffic can be annoying and your further away from I-77. Just my opinions!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:16 PM

797 posts, read 3,296,274 times
For your age, I'd pick Southpark or as close to uptown as you can get. Ballantyne very nice is more family oriented and the country club environment.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,400,042 times
I live at the Providence Court Apts and love the location and staff. I could be uptown in 30 minutes during rush hour and less during non-rush. Where will you be working? What is some of the things you like to do? Do you prefer to be near the social scene or more laid back? All of those questions could help us direct you better.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,715,494 times
I wonder if this is appropriate to ask or not, but, do you feel more comfortable around people of the same skin color as you?

We moved down here from the Washington, DC area. Up there it was a true melting pot. Our apartment complex was about equally divided between white, black, Hispanic, and Asian families and so was most of the areas we lived up there. No big deal.

Down in Charlotte, we noticed that some areas (ie: southopark, south charlotte) were mostly white and some areas are mostly black. I think some people might be uncomfortable living in an area where they are a minority. That was strange to us at first and not something we would have thought about when we were looking for places to live.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkydinkydoo View Post
Alexander Place has horrible customer service. I can't discuss where I work but I have had numerous encounters with them. I would not tell anyone to live there! If your looking for a social scene I would stay clear of Ballantyne. It is too far from everything. Southpark area is okay but the traffic can be annoying and your further away from I-77. Just my opinions!

How about the North lake mall area?

Old 09-01-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
I wonder if this is appropriate to ask or not, but, do you feel more comfortable around people of the same skin color as you?

We moved down here from the Washington, DC area. Up there it was a true melting pot. Our apartment complex was about equally divided between white, black, Hispanic, and Asian families and so was most of the areas we lived up there. No big deal.

Down in Charlotte, we noticed that some areas (ie: southopark, south charlotte) were mostly white and some areas are mostly black. I think some people might be uncomfortable living in an area where they are a minority. That was strange to us at first and not something we would have thought about when we were looking for places to live.

That doesnt matter to me I just want to be in a nice area...where I live now there is people from every country it seems lol. but its a upscale nice area thats all that matters to me really

Old 09-01-2009, 02:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North2South09 View Post
That doesnt matter to me I just want to be in a nice area...where I live now there is people from every country it seems lol. but its a upscale nice area thats all that matters to me really
I too am more inclined to encourage you toward South Park.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
I live at the Providence Court Apts and love the location and staff. I could be uptown in 30 minutes during rush hour and less during non-rush. Where will you be working? What is some of the things you like to do? Do you prefer to be near the social scene or more laid back? All of those questions could help us direct you better.
I believe my job is going to be in south charlotte....Im more laid back work and home type. So im not really pressed to be where the action is.I like quiet peaceful areas but at the same time i dont want to be 15 mins from the nearest store lol. Providence Court seems really nice and based on what ive seen online so far about them an there amenities they seem like there a great deal at the specials there offering right now. about $200 cheaper a month then the apt i reserved at perimeter station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte