Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2013, 05:08 PM

3 posts, read 3,887 times

Advertisements

Been browsing a lot of the forums already. Would love some recommendations on what neighborhoods/areas we should look in. Thanks to those who respond. First time post.

Wife and I (early 30's) will be moving to Charlotte from San Diego this summer. She will be working on the East side of Monroe. She does not want to drive more than about 30 minutes for commute time heading to Monroe in morning (~7:30) and away from Monroe in evening (~5/6:00). We will be renting for the first year to see what areas we like then buy after that somewhere. I'll be staying home taking care of the baby (will be 2 months old when we move) for at least the first year.

Things we are looking for in rental property:
- 4+ bedrooms, 2+ bathrooms
- 2000+ sq ft
- .25 acre+ lot (bigger the better)
- dog friendly (2 large dogs)
- $1000-2000 rent (We currently pay 2500 for a 1300 sq ft house built in the 40's with a .1 acre lot (mostly driveway) in San Diego, looking forward to easier housing costs)
- We live in a hipster/artistic type neighborhood now but we don't mind the suburban feel either. We are easy going, quiet, usually go to bed early on the weekends after watching a movie on the couch type people. Some may call us boring, haha.

Things we love to do or would want to be near (walking distance not required, driving is ok if not far):
- Farmer's markets
- Dog parks
- Whole Foods (favorite store, haha)
- Nice restaurants (not Outback, Applebees, etc.)
- Nice shopping centers for wife
- All things outdoors- hunting, fishing, hiking trails/woods, camping

Through my research already I've narrowed it down to Wesley Chapel, Weddington, Providence, Matthews, and Indian Trail areas due to driving/ what we think we will like. Open to suggestions or more details about those areas.

Also, we will be flying out in May for a few days to look at those areas or any others suggested. Does anyone have recommendations on a realtor or a company for rentals? Never used one. I've found a place using craigslist the 4 times I've moved here in San Diego. I also use zillow, trulia, rent.com, realtor.com.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 07:40 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,024 times
Look into Matthews, Weddington, and Ballantyne. Ballantyne would be a bit longer than 30 min, but has all the requirements you are looking for (not Whole Foods but the similar "Earthfare"). Matthews and Weddington will be closer to Monroe and are also very nice. Matthews in particular has a very nice farmers market as well as an actual town center area. Shopping Centers abound everywhere.
Not sure about the lot sizes. Indian Trail and Stallings are possibilities but restaurants are more limited. All of these places are not that far from each other, so you can always drive to restaurants in other areas including the city of Charlotte.
I think all the areas you've targeted are good - the limiting factor may be where you find a house rental. Matthews would get my vote.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:00 PM

930 posts, read 2,161,436 times
Depending on how far east of Monroe she is working, the only area mentioned that would be in your driving time, would be Matthews. Matthews is 12 miles from Monroe traveling on 74. Wesley Chapel is 25 minutes, Weddington is a little further and Ballantyne is about 35 on backroads without traffic. Indian Trail is the closest to Monroe, depending on where in Indian Trail you are.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 PM

@ex-burgher- Thanks for the advice! We were leaning towards Matthews as of now.

@thebalogas- She'll be working about 3 or so miles E of downtown Monroe around the intersection of 74 and E Franklin St.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM

930 posts, read 2,161,436 times
Maximus7788- that would make her 15 miles to I485 which begins Matthews straight up 74. Depending on where you find something in Matthews, there are other ways to get there that have a little less traffic. I live three miles west from where she is working. I am on the Indian Trail side. If there are any questions about this area that I can answer, please let me know. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:01 PM

527 posts, read 919,833 times
Most important thing for your case is a good school distinct. In 5 years you will need to think about it.

South Charlotte has great schools. But it's more than 30 minutes to monroe.

Mathews, ballantyne ( best fit) , even weddington is good. Wesley chapel is village..far cry from San Diego.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:03 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
I would concur with most of the advice here... either 74 North or 84 West will give you the best options commute wise. I think 84 would be better traffic wise, but it's only 1 lane. Matthews, Indian Trail, Wesley Chapel, Weddington... Ballantyne would be a tough sell IMO - although I agree that it would be a great fit here it would be more than 30min. In general , it will be more rural South.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:53 AM

430 posts, read 804,381 times
I'd say Wesley Chapel. It's small, still being built up, but it's near Monroe, near enough to shopping like Blakeney, Stonecrest, Promenade as well as having Target, excellent schools, lots of other families and children around, and you will definitely find a house that fits your criteria. Weddington and Indian Trail would work too.

Have your wife check out Union County Mommies too. Moving to a new place with a baby is hard (it's what I did when I moved here!), and it'll be a great way for her to make friends and not feel stuck in the house with the baby outside of work.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,957 times
Matthews would probably be your best bet for what you are looking for. Ballantyne would be better for restaurants, but further away than you may desire.

I get the vibe you have not visited yet? You may be in for a little culture shock (especially if you move to Monroe or Indian Trail). I don't disagree that these areas are great for family, but you may find their lack of culture and good restaurants a bit tiresome. Even Matthews does not have the greatest restaurants, but at least here you are a 20 min drive to CLT or Southpark for eating.

BTW...many of my relatives were born and raised in Monroe and Indian Trail, but my parents and siblings live in San Diego now. I have spent a great deal of time in SD as well as Monroe NC and I can tell you they are completely different in lifestyle. Best of Luck to you!

Old 01-28-2013, 01:52 PM

@lauralaylin- I'll pass the info about Union County Mommies, thanks.

@The Native1- I've visited a few times to Huntersville/Davidson back in early 2000's when my brother lived there which I understand is different than where we are looking. I understand about the culture change from a big city like San Diego to a rural area though. I grew up in a farmland type area in Ohio with a population of a few thousand people where the most fun thing to do was go watch the city stop light turn green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte