Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 09:26 PM

15 posts, read 27,677 times

Advertisements

Small back story:

My dog had been ripping the carpet and linoleum off the floor downstars when he was a puppy.

Small places but it ruined our floor. So I went ahead and decided to replace the carpet and started to remove it.

What I found underneath really bothered me......

Its a crack that runs along the whole foundation. it's pretty big and 18 feet long. in the middle it's starting to stagger (one side is higher than the other)
I went outside and examined the foundation outside and it's also following down to the ground along the same place.

So I called the insurance man and hes wanting a structural engineer to come and look at the house

Do you all think they are going to declare it unsafe and tear the house down?

I also noticed another crack like this one except it's in my garage and it's also about the width of a quarter and going down the ENTIRE slab in the garage.

Can someone give me some opinions on what to do in this situation.

Do you think the builder was just slapping up junk houses?
Let me know what you think.

I have insurance on the house. so if the builder was at fault and the inspectors never noticed this.
They will be replacing my home.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 09:35 PM

2,780 posts, read 5,175,782 times
Follow to see if the crack continues on the wall, ceiling.

If not, it seems to be a "normal" line fracture in the concrete floor. To prevent that, some builders cut the concrete (you can see it when poured outside or in the garage) so the concrete crack is controlled (by the cut).
No worries, it is very common, I had same in previous houses I lived in.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:38 PM

@28173

No it's not going up the walls. or ceiling.

But we have noticed our doors are sticking and the front door has become very hard to close.
so the house is shifting gradually.

We had a class action lawsuit in our neighborhood earlier this past year because the builder made a goof and a few houses had a case of the floor sinking in (upstairs)

So it wouldn't surprise me if this house is a lemon.

Its a two story home and one of the bedrooms is supported on "stilts" that are above the front porch.
creating an awning.

I have to admit it's not a conventional house design. So I wonder if it's load bearing capability is properly designed.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:38 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,558,234 times
Seems to me that hiring a structural engineer will answer your questions.

You are going to hire a structural engineer, right?

Old 08-23-2012, 01:51 AM

Yes we are getting one at the house tomorrow to take a look at this place.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:33 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,979,817 times
I once owned a home where the slab cracked and one side of the house started to settle vs the other. This took several years before it became noticeable. I'd definitely get it resolved while there is still some sort of coverage on it.

Quick check - get a long builders level and stick it across the crack. If it's not absolutely level, you have a problem. IMO.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:59 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,038,198 times
Who was the builder? How old is it? You should have a 5 or 10 year structural warranty on the home. Getting a structural engineer to look at it is definitely the way to go.

As the engineer who inspected my house at several stages during construction told me... and I quote:
There are 2 types of concrete - concrete that is cracked and concrete that is going to crack.

So the crack unto itself doesn't mean it's a major issue... Although sticking doors and windows are not a good sign. Even if you have a serious problem, it's highly doubtful that they will declare it unsafe and tear it down. I've heard of techniques for stabilizing the house with injections under the foundation, etc. If it goes that route, I don't blame you for being POd...

Old 08-23-2012, 11:56 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,211,748 times
Only advice I can give is dont let the building inspector be quick to say the problem is of no major concern. To fix this will be very expensive if it can be fixed at all and the building inspector most likely has friends who are in the home building business and may be more of a team player for the builders that you. I would get several independent inspections IN WRITING...describing the cause and solution for it. .

Old 08-23-2012, 12:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,558,234 times
A structural engineer will provide a detailed, in depth report. I don't buy a house without having a structural engineer look at it, even tho that is not an inexpensive service. Just better to know upfront what the issues might be. A 30 year mortgage is a long time, lol.

I hope you find out that there is no concern, unless you want out of the neighborhood b/c of the history with other homes. Then, I hope you are able to work out a satisfactory resolution.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:25 PM

2,780 posts, read 5,175,782 times
Please let us know what the structural engineer said about this.
My money is on "this is normal, no worries".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: