Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 08:53 PM

239 posts, read 376,861 times

Advertisements

I know that Charlotte has a designated area called Midtown, where target is. But do you think Charlotte can actually build a SMALL midtown SKYLINE, such as a smaller version of Atlanta's?
-Where would it be?
-What would it take to build a mid-size Midtown skyline?
- etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 09:11 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,405 times
Why would Charlotte want to be like Atlanta? That's the reason I like it here so much... because it's not Atlanta!

But they'd need land to build...

Old 09-24-2012, 09:11 PM

85 posts, read 185,159 times
If Atlanta has one, then dod gamn Charlotte needs one?

Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
I know that Charlotte has a designated area called Midtown, where target is. But do you think Charlotte can actually build a SMALL midtown SKYLINE, such as a smaller version of Atlanta's?
-Where would it be?
-What would it take to build a mid-size Midtown skyline?
- etc
I'd say the South End. The urban styled developments there are quite impressive (and there's many more on the way). In time, that area must go verticle if its growth is to continue. There are plans for a redevelopment of the housing authority area near the Dowd YMCA (which is technically Dilworth, but still very close to South End). The plans call for quite a bit of added rentals and ground level retail. Here is a pic of the area from Ashton looking north into Uptown.
Downtown Charlotte and the South End as seen from the Ashton Apartments - MetroScenes.com - Charlotte Skyline - City Skyline and Urban Photography by Matt Robinson - City Photos and Prints for Sale

^^^As you can see, South End is the natural direction for the city's skyline to grow. IMO, the 1st Ward area of uptown may see some verticle growth within the next 10-15 years as well. The Levine's "Urban Village" development is about to break ground. If all goes well, it's a development that will get rid of some surface parking lots in uptown (thank goodness!!!!).
Plan will create urban village for First Ward | CharlotteObserver.com

I personally don't ever see Charlotte having multiple linear skylines like Atlanta (downtown, Midtown, Buckhead, Sandy Springs etc). I think Charlotte's skyline will go the route of Seattle and/or Dallas within the next 20 years. Aside from the current economic issues (which won't last forever), I am generally pleased with the direction that Charlotte is going. The Carolinas could really use a tier 1 city and I support the city council's efforts to make Charlotte that tier 1 city someday. Sustainable verticle development (even if it's only 5 floors tall) is a great way to combat the cheap sprawl-topia type of development that has infected sunbelt cities for the last 40 years. Density certainly adds to the tax base without chopping down our beautiful trees that provide much needed shade in the Carolina heat.

IMO, the city should focus on the intense urban development of the 20-30 sq/miles of land surrounding uptown. If we can get that area up to 150,000-250,000 people, it would create a more interesting city as well as a stronger central Charlotte tax base. We honestly don't need row houses in Ballantyne of all places. We need that type of development within 3-4 miles of uptown. Almost all of the uptown area real estate is certainly urban (which is good), but we need lots more of it. As urban development increases, land prices in central Charlotte would climb. There comes a point when land is too expensive for non-highrise developments (this is the point when skylines tend to grow rapidly). Charlotte isn't quite there yet, but uptown is getting closer to that point.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 PM

601 posts, read 964,646 times
I think Southend would become a "second" skyline to Charlotte, before Midtown would. And maybe second isn't the right word. Depending on the density of the development, it could blend in next to Uptown's skyscrapers. Ballantyne, Southpark, and University City could also become catalysts for future skyscraper development.

That's just my theory, though.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:59 PM

239 posts, read 376,861 times
Yea. I think Ballantyne will definitely have a mid-size skyline after a while. They already kinda do, and I know the main developer in that area is VERY serious about building that area UP.
And I would love to see more taller building around the edges of uptown.
its a shame that Charlotte has a loop around Uptown, and theres only 2 sides of it that have close views of Uptown.
I would love to for tall building to back up all the way to the 277/77 interstate

Old 09-24-2012, 10:14 PM

601 posts, read 964,646 times
Quote:
Yea. I think Ballantyne will definitely have a mid-size skyline after a while. They already kinda do, and I know the main developer in that area is VERY serious about building that area UP.
And I would love to see more taller building around the edges of uptown.
its a shame that Charlotte has a loop around Uptown, and theres only 2 sides of it that have close views of Uptown.
I would love to for tall building to back up all the way to the 277/77 interstate
I think there was a tentative plan to "cap" I-277 on the western portion (John Belk). If done so, it would help the seamless development between Uptown and Southend. But I don't see anything like that happening for many years.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Give it about 10-15 years and you will get your wish. It's hard to imagine now because of the recession, but alot of folks have forgotten about the skyline boom that took place after the recession in the early 90s. The early 90s seemed to have been the "wake up" period for Charlotte's skyline and downtown development efforts. Not only did we see the contruction of the 60 story BofA building during that time, we also saw Charlotte's hosting of the Final Four, a NBA All Star game (featuring Jordan, Clyde Drexler, Dominique Wilkins and more), and the announcement of the expansion Carolina Panthers.

Here is a video of Charlotte's 1991 skyline...

Charlotte, North Carolina skyline-June 1991-BoA construction - YouTube

Here is a video of Charlotte's 2011 skyline...

Charlotte Aerial Flyover - YouTube

^^^Clearly, one can see the 20 year progress, but we can also see where the city can improve (mainly surface lots). As of today, I know of plans for about 7-10 of those surface lots (ranging from Minor League Baseball to Parks/Retail/residential/offices). By 2031, this city IMO will look like present-day central Seattle or present-day central Dallas. Only time will tell.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:21 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,405 times
I'd love to see the Uptown skyline expand as it is. Ballantyne is the area to watch for IMO.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,858 times
I don't think we'll see the same pressure for high rise commercial in the future. Companies are physically broadening and flattening out from telecommuting, especially financials.

But midrise/lowrise residential has potential to keep going. We'll probably see $5/gal gasoline in a few years and more people will have an interest in being "close in" to city services. This is not too different from suburban apartments, so it's not too "alien" a jump for people to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte