Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 06:02 PM

153 posts, read 195,719 times

Advertisements

Haven't posted on this topic in a while. I moved here at the end of July, from Georgia. I moved into a one bedroom at Matthews Crossing off of Independence near Crown Point on a 4 month lease while I got a job, learned the area, looked for a house, etc. Well, I found a job at the beginning of August, and I work off of Carmel and Highway 51. My boyfriend started work at the beginning of September in Uptown.

Fast forward to last week... I finally found the house I wanted, but it was a HUD (which I've avoided). I put in a good offer and won so now, I'm going through the rest of the process. I bought a 1650 sq. ft. 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom house on almost a half acre, with a huge deck. It's on Johnston Road, about a mile from 485. It's really in amazing condition, and the whole bottom floor has been recently renovated (hardwood floors, kitchen upgrades, widening doorways, etc.). Anyway, I only bid $101,500... and got an awesome house in a great area. I think the schools are pretty good, too. I know it's zoned for Endhaven Elementary. Bonus that the house is barely, or maybe not even, a mile from where I work... and there's a doggie daycare nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 06:11 PM

Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina (But originally from Long Island)
76 posts, read 231,393 times
Congrats!!!! I am really happy for you - sounds like you got a great deal.

Let the FUN begin!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYPPKathy View Post
Congrats!!!! I am really happy for you - sounds like you got a great deal.

Let the FUN begin!
Thank you! I probably could have found a bigger house... and God knows I could have found a bigger master bathroom =/... but there was just something about it. I'm very happy with it. The tax value is almost $150,000. I'm just SO excited/anxious to see what the inspection turns up.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 PM

Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina (But originally from Long Island)
76 posts, read 231,393 times
We are looking to move to the Charlotte area ourselves. I am REALLY looking forward to when we get to finally go and start looking at houses (we have our house up for sale here on Long Island) - its all really exciting, but a bit stressful at the same time!! But I am ready for a change!!!

I am glad to hear you both were able to find jobs (and so close to your soon-to-be new home!) I think its great that you got to rent first and really get to look around and find the area you wanted. We thought of doing that ourselves, but its a little tougher, as we need 4 bedrooms and we have 3 big dogs - and as good as they are, I know renting with animals is not always easy.....so we are trying to really do our homework now!

Again, Congrats! I hope you share some pics of your new place once its all yours!!! ~Kathy

Old 10-12-2012, 06:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Congrats Tiffany, and welcome to North Carolina!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYPPKathy View Post
We are looking to move to the Charlotte area ourselves. I am REALLY looking forward to when we get to finally go and start looking at houses (we have our house up for sale here on Long Island) - its all really exciting, but a bit stressful at the same time!! But I am ready for a change!!!

I am glad to hear you both were able to find jobs (and so close to your soon-to-be new home!) I think its great that you got to rent first and really get to look around and find the area you wanted. We thought of doing that ourselves, but its a little tougher, as we need 4 bedrooms and we have 3 big dogs - and as good as they are, I know renting with animals is not always easy.....so we are trying to really do our homework now!

Again, Congrats! I hope you share some pics of your new place once its all yours!!! ~Kathy
That is tough! I have a HUGE dog and a cat. The dog is registered here, and him being allowed was a big reason why we chose this place. Plus, it was one of the cheaper options, and we started looking like a week before we moved, so we were limited (thought we were staying with bf's family). He is over the weight limit =/ and we had to call him a "lab mix" because of breed restrictions. We didn't even register the cat, because the pet deposit is just ridiculous, and we already paid it once... and our lease term was so short.

It sounds like you would be looking to rent a house, though, so you may not be able to find as short of a lease term as we did, if that's even what you guys want.

I'm so glad we both found jobs, and good jobs at that. I hadn't been able to find a job in my field (HR) back home, and that's what I do now. I also get to do a lot of accounting, which I absolutely love. My bf likes sales, but was working retail and hated it. Now, he does ticket sales for the Checkers (hockey) and he absolutely loves it.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Congrats Tiffany, and welcome to North Carolina!
Thank you. We are loving it. We're coming from a small college town in Georgia, and trying to really take advantage of what Charlotte has to offer.

Why is it so damn cold already, though?!?!?! I know, I know... my co-workers say this is something called "fall". Never heard of that season before...

Old 10-12-2012, 11:33 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyT5814 View Post
Haven't posted on this topic in a while. I moved here at the end of July, from Georgia. I moved into a one bedroom at Matthews Crossing off of Independence near Crown Point on a 4 month lease while I got a job, learned the area, looked for a house, etc. Well, I found a job at the beginning of August, and I work off of Carmel and Highway 51. My boyfriend started work at the beginning of September in Uptown.

Fast forward to last week... I finally found the house I wanted, but it was a HUD (which I've avoided). I put in a good offer and won so now, I'm going through the rest of the process. I bought a 1650 sq. ft. 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom house on almost a half acre, with a huge deck. It's on Johnston Road, about a mile from 485. It's really in amazing condition, and the whole bottom floor has been recently renovated (hardwood floors, kitchen upgrades, widening doorways, etc.). Anyway, I only bid $101,500... and got an awesome house in a great area. I think the schools are pretty good, too. I know it's zoned for Endhaven Elementary. Bonus that the house is barely, or maybe not even, a mile from where I work... and there's a doggie daycare nearby.
Probably South Meck High School too. You pretty much stole that house

Old 10-13-2012, 04:32 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,989,061 times
TiffanyT5814 ... congrats to you! We're just a little bit ahead of you in the house purchasing process - cleared the hurdles of inspections, appraisals, loan approvals and such, and we close in about two weeks. But now there's apparently another hurdle -- how cold is cold???? We're relocating to the Charlotte area from northeast Florida and I'm still wearing shorts and t-shirts ... should I keep my sweatshirts and longjohns at the top of the pile for an easy grab??? :-)

Seriously though ... you've had what sounds like a wild summer, so your new house and all its wonders sound like a great reward for patience and perseverance! Enjoy and best wishes!

Old 10-13-2012, 07:44 AM

459 posts, read 699,380 times
Mawi if you're from NY or anywhere up north, this is nothing, we are still in the 60s but since you're from Florida I would say bring your layers LOL

And congrats Tiffany!!! Sounds like you got an awesome deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte