Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:29 AM

40 posts, read 82,114 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am wanting to relocate from New England to Charlotte, and hoping to move Labor Day weekend. Is there anyone at all on this forum who is able to offer me employment or know of someone willing to hire me prior to moving. I am trying my hardest to find a job beforehand, but need a little assistance. I am open. Thank you for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 10:21 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGeorgia View Post
Hi all, I am wanting to relocate from New England to Charlotte, and hoping to move Labor Day weekend. Is there anyone at all on this forum who is able to offer me employment or know of someone willing to hire me prior to moving. I am trying my hardest to find a job beforehand, but need a little assistance. I am open. Thank you for any help you can give.
I'm sure you realize this is a long shot...so to have the best chance at getting any help, you'll have to give more info about what your skills are.

Do you have a degree? Any certifications? Experience?

Or are you looking to wait tables??

Will you be moving with your parents or with someone else who does have a job?

If not, please do not pack your bags without first securing employment. That would be extremely unwise.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:33 AM

6,625 posts, read 7,338,098 times
Quote:
I think you need to put a link to your resume as no one has any idea as to what your skills are.

I would use the online job posting sites and the online local newspapers to help in the search. I do not think anyone would want to pay for your travel for an interview. Therefor be sure to state in your cover letter that you are relocating to the city and would like to schedule an interview for the week of x (after you are here).

Old 07-16-2012, 11:18 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I think you need to put a link to your resume as no one has any idea as to what your skills are.

I would use the online job posting sites and the online local newspapers to help in the search. I do not think anyone would want to pay for your travel for an interview. Therefor be sure to state in your cover letter that you are relocating to the city and would like to schedule an interview for the week of x (after you are here).
My sister in law recently interviewed at several places out of state and they all paid for her to travel there. She's not a real high muckity muck type. I wouldn't count on anyone paying you to come for an interview, of course, but plenty of places do.

OP, just to make you aware that Labor Day weekend is around the time of the DNC so it will be madhouse in the city.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:12 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times
The NC Employment Security Commission has a service where you can register, list your qualifications and travel situation and they can help to match you up with a job.

Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
Um, you really need to mention what KIND of job you're looking for, what your experience/degrees are in, what sorts of talents you can bring, etc. And why you've chosen Charlotte to move to in such a short time frame with no job prospects?

Old 07-17-2012, 12:50 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,182,535 times
Quote:
Why Charlotte?

The unemployment rate here has been hovering close to 9%. And that's only the people who are still receiving unemployment benefits, not the people who are still unemployed and not on the books anymore. Every decent job has hundreds of applicants. And you haven't told us if you have a degree or specialty.

If a company has a fiscal calendar that matches the regular calendar, then they're looking to trim expenses for the 3rd and 4th quarter. Not a lot of interviewing goes on until December so that a company can use its shiny new budget on January 1st. That's assuming that they have the funds to hire new people on the first of the year.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:36 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Why not Charlotte?

I agree with the experience, degrees and other info

Who cares why the OP is choosing Charlotte.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:21 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,988 times
I wouldn't move here without a job or alot of savings.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:39 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
Both CMPD & MCSO are hiring. The best way to find out their requirements are to go to their websites.
home
Recruiting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: