Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Yes - a message that a minority of morons want to secede from the country because their candidate lost the Presidential elections.

I see Louisiana on the list of states with such a petition. Let them secede - I bet they will come running back as fast as they can next time a hurricane nails their state and they need federal aid.
Do you really think that this is because mittens lost? Surely not. People are sick and tired of the irresponsibility, corruption, greed and down right lack of all things this nation was founded upon. If one has missed that or does not see it, then perhaps a little less bs and more study should prevail.

With all of that said, those who are calling names of those who support the petition only prove how small minded and out of ouch they truly are.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
.... Let's not forget W actually LOST the popular vote in his re-election - talk mandates in relation to that clown, not Reagan. ....
There is nothing to forget since it didn't happen. When Bush won re-election in 2004, he won the popular vote.

2004 election results
  • Bush - 62,040,610
  • Kerry - 59,028,444

Old 11-13-2012, 08:01 AM

642 posts, read 1,170,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I only think 3 of the folks who have posted on this thread are actually native Southerners..
I think you are right, Ani. I'll bow out of this one. Was in over my head anyway...

Please excuse my editing of your fine post but it would have been confusing to read otherwise.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 AM

221 posts, read 358,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The discussions, which have gone on for years, were never about a Republican President being elected. Bill Clinton is from the South, may I remind you.

Most of the 20 states with petitions voted for Republican Mitt Romney
and if these states were located in the North I would say the same thing,
"the small percentage of people who signed the petition are pissed off that they lost"

Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Text from the Texas petition:

The U.S. continues to suffer economic difficulties stemming from the federal government's neglect to reform domestic and foreign spending. The citizens of the U.S. suffer from blatant abuses of their rights such as the NDAA, the TSA, etc. Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union, and to do so would protect its citizens' standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers which are no longer being reflected by the federal government.

White House may respond to Texas secession petition | The Ticket - Yahoo! News

Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
I think you are right, Ani. I'll bow out of this one. Was in over my head anyway...

Please excuse my editing of your fine post but it would have been confusing to read otherwise.
Please don't go away. As one of the natives, I'm sure she wasn't referring to you. I find that you are very pleasant to have a discussion with.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:06 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post

No reason to bow out of the discussion, Krokus! It is a forum where we debate ideas!

My point was simply that perhaps only if you are a native Southerner would you understand the changes that have transpired with federal government interference and mandates over many years.

The latest uproar is that President Obama backs the UN gun treaty, which many Southerners feel makes this President and his attorney general (who is notoriously anti-gun) one step closer to gun seizure.

Now, that is just one little issue amongst many that concern many Southerners.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Hmm GW Bush was first elected even though Al Gore won the popular vote, but I digress.

My question to you, is what if the people in the state vote to leave the USA. What then? In the USA all voting, regardless of whether it's a local, state or federal office, is a matter of the state, not the federal government.
The supreme court pretty said a state can't leave the union so sorta moot....much like the Godfather, once you join "la familia" you're in it for good

Old 11-13-2012, 08:15 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
You guys are funny. Still thinking there is any significant difference between the Democratic and Republican political parties.
In all honesty, you're very close to how it really is...to be frank, it's two sides of the same coin. The name of the game is "power".

Old 11-13-2012, 08:19 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
There is nothing to forget since it didn't happen. When Bush won re-election in 2004, he won the popular vote.

2004 election results
  • Bush - 62,040,610
  • Kerry - 59,028,444
Typo - meant election... you know what happened in 2000. Way to not address the real point I was making on your numbers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte