Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,050 times

Advertisements

Now that TWC is going to start charging me $5/mo for an 8 year old Ubee 2.0 modem, I am most likely going to just go buy one to replace it so that I don't have to pay the monthly fee.

There is a list of TWC approved modems on their website.

What is the benefit of having a 3.0 modem over a 2.0 modem? Is there one? If not for what I have, at what point would I need a 3.0?

I currently have the $44 turbo (no TV or phone service through TWC.)

I typically get around 25mbps speeds according to speedtest.net. However, according to the TWC site's test I get around 15-16 mbps. I have no idea why the discrepancy.

THANK YOU!,

Dawn

Last edited by DawnW; 11-16-2012 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 06:17 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,236,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Now that TWC is going to start charging me $5/mo for an 8 year old Ubee 2.0 modem, I am most likely going to just go buy one to replace it so that I don't have to pay the monthly fee.

There is a list of TWC approved modems on their website.

What is the benefit of having a 3.0 modem over a 2.0 modem? Is there one? If not for what I have, at what point would I need a 3.0?

I currently have the $44 turbo (no TV or phone service through TWC.)

I typically get around 25mbps speeds according to speedtest.net. However, according to the TWC site's test I get around 15-16 mbps. I have no idea why the discrepancy.

THANK YOU!,

Dawn
Keep in mind that you will be responsible for your modem. TWC has updated and replaced mine at least 3 times in the 7+ years I've had their internet service. They may not be very helpful with a modem you own.

Do a search for the other current thread about TWC charging for modems. Good info in that thread.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:36 PM

I see one other thread but it really isn't answering my question.

Old 11-16-2012, 06:49 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,520,193 times
Quote:
I see one other thread but it really isn't answering my question.
Try the Tom's Hardware forum. Great people there.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:28 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,966,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Keep in mind that you will be responsible for your modem. TWC has updated and replaced mine at least 3 times in the 7+ years I've had their internet service. They may not be very helpful with a modem you own.
I think my modem's been update twice since I started service with them at my house in 2000. Every time a tech comes out to look at what I have they laugh at it. The modems also seem to get smaller & smaller.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,236,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I think my modem's been update twice since I started service with them at my house in 2000. Every time a tech comes out to look at what I have they laugh at it. The modems also seem to get smaller & smaller.
Same here. The latest one is so light that it won't sit flat because the coax cable going in to it lifts it off the shelf.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:10 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,648 times
Benefits of DOCSIS 3.0.

The DOCSIS 3.0 modem won't bring you any benefit unless you contract with TWC for either the 30M/5M service or 50M/5M service. Those speeds are only available via the 3.0 technology. You also have to live in an area where it's available, but for most people in the CLT area that should not be a problem. You will need to contract for the service. If not, then the only benefit I see is that having one of these modems will allow you to upgrade later without needed to buy yet another modem.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:00 AM

Thank you. This is the info I needed.

I don't even know if the higher speeds are available to me here in Union County. I will have to find out.

I am sure my kids would be happier with higher gaming speeds, but other than that we don't need it. We are able to stream shows to TVs and use all that we need with the 25mbps.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Benefits of DOCSIS 3.0.

The DOCSIS 3.0 modem won't bring you any benefit unless you contract with TWC for either the 30M/5M service or 50M/5M service. Those speeds are only available via the 3.0 technology. You also have to live in an area where it's available, but for most people in the CLT area that should not be a problem. You will need to contract for the service. If not, then the only benefit I see is that having one of these modems will allow you to upgrade later without needed to buy yet another modem.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:24 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,648 times
Quote:
I don't even know if the higher speeds are available to me here in Union County. I will have to find out.
I know that that it's available in some parts of Union county but it's no doubt best to check your specific address. If I were going to buy a modem, I'd probably go for the newer technology but might also want to check with them to see if you can use it with your present service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte