Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM

5 posts, read 19,962 times

Advertisements

Hi
I am looking for the new house in waxhaw area. Schools, lot size (0.35acre at
least) and family friendly neighborhood would be some of the top priorities for us. So far I have narrowed down to chimneys of Marvin(pulte) and Hollister ( Shea homes) . Chimney due to well developed neighborhood, proximity to top school. But Hollister offers some good plans and less expensive (roughly 40k difference) I wanted to know besides money what are the other advantage disadvantage of one over other. Is it schools, power lines, newer community, commute that is making this 40-50k difference? I will be commuting to uptown. Will either community makes any difference in commute time? From price point of view one is at middle range (375k) and other is at high end(430k) of my budget. Any feedback, comparison would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 04:50 PM

985 posts, read 1,901,734 times
While I do not live in either, I will mention an observation...Chimneys is always building and people are moving in etc. Hollister while nice looking has a lot less activity..kind of like it stalled.

If it were me picking with children only based on those 2 I would pick Chimneys. I woujld also guess resale is better in Chimneys (but that is a guess)

Old 01-18-2013, 05:20 PM

5 posts, read 19,962 times
[quote=mewith3;27831936]While I do not live in either, I will mention an observation...Chimneys is always building and people are moving in etc. Hollister while nice looking has a lot less activity..kind of like it stalled.

If it were me picking with children only based on those 2 I would pick Chimneys. I woujld also guess resale is better in Chimneys (but that is a guess)[/QUOTE

Thanks for your feedback.

you are absolutely correct. That is my observation too, but at the same time i was thinking may be Hollister is less completed community compare to Chimney and that might be the reason for less activity.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 PM

123 posts, read 328,631 times
Hollister was idle for a while when Shea Homes pulled out of the original development with only a few homes built and no other builder came in. There was a grand opening early in 2012 after Shea returned and they are building again. Pulte had a big slow down as well in The Chimneys of Marvin but they never pulled out, they actually bought land during the crash and became their own developer and are close to being complete. Both are great areas and both builders are well established here. One consideration would be schools - do you want Waxhaw (previously weddington) schools or Marvin? Hollister has more lots to choose from, most .5 acre or more, but it will take a while to complete. Marvin does carry a premium (location to Ballantyne, 485, because its Marvin , ...) - do you find it worth it?

Last edited by GoodLifeNC; 01-18-2013 at 06:40 PM..

Old 01-18-2013, 06:08 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Shea somewhat recently re-opened Hollister - it stalled for a long while because the developer went broke and they had to renegotiate with the bank. Both Chimneys and Hollister have many lots left. Both have good lots to choose from. Chimneys had its own issues as it used to be much "higher end" around the time Hollister stalled due to the developer issue.

Your commute will be a bit shorter to Hollister as it's more or less Weddington rather than Waxhaw/Marvin. It's practically across the street from Weddington HS... but the kids are assigned to Cuthbertson in Hollister... I think they may go to a Weddington Elem. Chimneys is all Marvin Ridge and may be a bit more "remote". I think it's going to cost you another 5-10min going to Chimneys vs. Hollister in general depending which way you go home. Definitely 10min more if you take Providence.

You have some closer shopping options in Hollister as not being further South, you can go to the Wesley Chapel Target/Teeter/etc very easily and it's a rather easy shot to hit Providence and head North. Chimneys requires more of a ride and back roads, but you're right on the border of SC (I mean right there in your backyard) and will be closer to other shopping, cheaper gas, etc in SC.

My research led me to believe Shea is a better overall builder than Pulte, but YMMV. I know many people who are thrilled living in the Chimneys and say it has a great community feel. Having the Elem right there is a nice perk, the pool and amenities are very nice. I can't speak too much for the Hollister amenities, never been to their pool.

Good luck and I hope this helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte