Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:28 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
There is another story circulating about how a High School Principal used his .45 cal handgun to stop a would-be mass murder with a rifle in 1998.

Criminals and crazy people don't care about laws or restrictions. One with enough planning will figure out how to kill. There are too many variables to cover them all with guards etc... Also these guards would cost a fortune.
Link please.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:28 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Strike View Post
You make a good point. But, the reason why discussions on improving or revamping our mental health system isn't brought up, is because it will eventually lead to discussions on our general healthcare system, and most possibly socialized medicine (whether it be UHC, or a government provided public option). Nobody wants to touch this issue with a 100-foot pole.
You are doubtless right and that is really disappointing . . . I have worked with behavioral healthcare agencies for many years - and part of my work is advocacy.

Until we stop stigmatizing mental health issues and start seeing both mental and physical health as part of a wellness umbrella . . . nothing is going to change with funding, access to care, and follow up treatment.

A person with paranoid schizophrenia should be treated with as much diligence as a person with diabetes. It comes down to quality of life and treatment in both cases, with the goal to return the patient to a fully functioning life.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:29 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
@anifani821 - You are right, I was using your statement to talk to others on the pro-gun side. Sorry about that - just wanted to correct the fact. Did not mean to disagree with your post as I do agree with it very much.
More mental health treatment options are vital, but also they cost a lot of money when the government is trying to cut health care costs.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:30 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Yes the Supreme Court affirmed the right to own a gun even if you are not in a militia. ...
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. My post was pretty clear.

BTW, a law isn't declared unconstitutional UNTIL someone challenges it in court. It's not known if the Supreme Ct. would rule the same way on any other gun restriction. In the context of what I was responding to, I meant any new law that would take guns out of the hands of law abiding citizens in regards to keeping schools safe. This is where the SC will say no.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Link please.
Pearl High School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-17-2012, 01:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glmore View Post
In light of the tragedy in CT last week, I was thinking about security measures at my son's school. While I have never been concerned about his being safe there, I am sure that the parents in CT felt safe as well.

At my son's school (K-5), there is a sign on the front door that says all visitors must sign in the office upon arrival. My concern is this; the door is not locked and when you walk in, the office is down the hall to the right of the entrance while all the classes are off to the left of the entrance. This means it is very easy for someone to walk in and head to the classrooms without any resistance.

Am I wrong thinking this should be changed? Should a metal detector be installed as well?

Does anyone know if CMS has responded to any security concerns?
Yep the conversation has drifted from the OP concern listed in red above.

Good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte