Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 02:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,051 times

Advertisements

Please read this article when considering a "new start" in North Carolina or Charlotte area (including Mecklenburg county) without first having a job secured:

Mecklenburg unemployment rate rises to 9.3% | CharlotteObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 03:16 PM

384 posts, read 596,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Please read this article when considering a "new start" in North Carolina or Charlotte area (including Mecklenburg county) without first having a job secured:

Mecklenburg unemployment rate rises to 9.3% | CharlotteObserver.com
If someone lives in a higher COL area, like maybe Long Island and they are unemployed, they are better off moving to Charlotte and looking there. It is much cheaper and infinitely easier to look for a job if you live there. Plus, they will be spending money in the CLT market while they look, which is good for the local economy. Everybody has a unique circumstance and story and it's a free country

Old 01-30-2013, 03:17 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Its definitely a free country... if it doesnt work out for someone they will move just like people do when the try NYC, LA or Chicago.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:24 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
If someone lives in a higher COL area, like maybe Long Island and they are unemployed,
they are better off moving... (somewhere)
Very probably so.

Quote:
Everybody has a unique circumstance and story
Yes they do. The most common circumstance being their job skills and experience.

If you have a real and useful skill... even if you can't do exactly what you did before you should still be
able to find *something* to keep it all together on until something in that other field opens up for you.
Many jobs you simply can't get unless/until you're standing there in front of the boss.

But this basic reality is just as true in the 200 or 2000 other places these people could go to.
Places (very often) that don't have the *official* unemployment approaching 10%...
and another 10 or 20% underemployed in something close to the scheme described above.

What I remain baffled at is the willingness and even enthusiasm for NC citizens (and presumably
NC tax payers) have for inviting unemployed strangers to come and compete with your own.[/quote]

Old 01-30-2013, 04:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Doesn't matter what the unemployment statistic is, if a local or transplant have the skills for the jobs that are available. Everyone had there interpretation on their American dream just some are more skillful in obtaining the jobs that are available. With higher employment numbers they will have to.be more creative and a better resume, personality to compete against the large number of job applicants.

Most of counties in this state have unemployment above 9 percent.
The county with lowest is Davie County with 8.2 percent.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-30-2013 at 04:44 PM..

Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 PM

6,117 posts, read 4,609,858 times
I don't see sharing the cold, hard reality about the state's horrible unemployment problem as unwelcoming to people considering relocating to North Carolina, but it should be more widely known that we aren't experiencing the prosperity that was happening 15 years ago.

NC's unemployment rate (according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics) is now the fifth worst in the nation (behind RI, NV, CA, and NJ), so anyone moving here without a clue as to what their job is going to be is being extremely naive and not thinking through reality very well, except when they are coming out of some sort of unusual dire circumstances.

Also, as the OP's article pointed out, the unemployment rate in the Mecklenburg and Wake counties of the state is creeping up to the rates found in the blue collar areas of the state (the Richmond and Davidson and Scotland counties of the state). Those areas have been dealing with a lackluster economy even during the so called economic boom times of the early to mid 2000's. Even during those times, the gap between the boom areas and the job loss areas has widened further and further. Now because those same unemployment impacts are impacting the boom areas of the state (where most of the relocations from other places are happening) that it's getting more attention. Those areas were quite recently seen as immune from the mill town economic blues. Hopefully, things will improve, but it's probably going to be a slow, slow improvement.

And a good start to working towards improving this would be to work together on some solutions, rather than spending so much effort assigning blame (as almost every single one of the comments in the OPs story was doing). Okay- end of soapbox - that was bugging me.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,051 times
My concern, and original motive for posting the article, is the recent increase in the posts here that start with "I need to start my life over, I have "x" kids, what kind of job can I get in the Charlotte area?"

Some people get offended with the answer, "Unless you have family, friends, school, or a job lined up here, why choose this area over anywhere else?" As others have said, we're not experiencing the growth that we were up until about five years ago. I know a number of people here who have valuable skills who have been unemployed for anywhere between a week and a year, and it's not for a lack of trying.

If you intend to relocate here, please look at the headlines. www.charlotteobserver.com is a good place to start. As of this typing, there's a chance that Freighliner will announce another 500 job cuts on Thursday.

Also, there's a strong chance that the NC state government will be cutting the maximum unemployment check from $530 to $350 a week. $350 a week and I still have to say "please" and "thank you" for it?

Don't get offended. You came here for advice. It's not my fault if you don't like the answer.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Is this the official stay out if you don't have a job thread? lol

If You Are Unemployed In These States, Move! | Zero Hedge

Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 AM

821 posts, read 1,855,353 times
The rate does not include those who have stopped looking for a job or given up. The rate would probably be more in the 12-15 percent range based on any number of honest, intellectual, and accurate reports and stories I have read,

Old 01-31-2013, 09:30 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
What one must do is to look at the number of people employed. These numbers tell a sobering story even though the definition of "employed" includes anyone who is getting paid at the rate of $1000/year. The rate also does not address quality of job. A highly skilled engineer making $100K/year + benefits, counts the same as someone cleaning bathrooms part time at McDonalds. As the former disappears and the latter takes it's place, the unemployment rate does not reflect this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte