Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 09:33 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barфsa View Post
It's not clear to me that an overwhelming number of people in the city even care about this issue. The 3-1 margin quoted several times in this topic was based on the Observer asking a polling agency to contact 650 picked from voter registration records and located in certain zipcodes, some of which were not in Charlotte. Furthermore the reporter got the math wrong. LOL (we are talking about the Observer afterall)

Second, the airport isn't being taken away from the city. This is media misreporting.

Nobody has called the citizens of Charlotte immature, childish, irresponsible, etc. If you have a direct quote where this has taken place I'd like to see it. People have made these references to the political leadership on both sides. That is to be expected.
It's clear to me... I don't listen to 1110 AM all that much but I tuned in one afternoon and the topic was the Airport takeover. Now, this station is considered conservative and most of the listeners calling in were conservative and 99.9% of the calls were against the GA.

You are the only one I know who is applauding this move. I haven't met, read or heard any voter applaud this move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 10:14 AM

279 posts, read 448,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
It's clear to me...
I've not stated that I applaud this move. Please re-read my previous 3 responses to you. I have on the other hand, refused to take the bait that this is some sort of petty politics, a vendetta against Charlotte and/or any of the other distractions that are being brought up to make the city council and mayor the victims in this situation. If this makes me different than the other people you are paying attention to, then so be it. You have a counterpoint. It's a healthy thing to have so "you're welcome".

This is about US Airways and what it wants. Nothing more/nothing less. The locals can either accept the airline is in a position to demand certain controls and concessions on the matter or be willing to stand up to them in a very public manner and say NO and live with the consequences. The fact of the matter is that whether the city prevails in it's lawsuit or not, this fact remains at the end of the day.

The city is now left with two bad choices. It can either accept the commission law as written, or hand it over to the court and let a judge decide it for them. My recommendation, since you are interested, is for them to accept the former and move on. At least in that case, they still have some control over the matter.

Last edited by Barфsa; 07-29-2013 at 10:23 AM..

Old 07-29-2013, 12:51 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Lies.

Lies, lies, lies.

US isn't going anywhere as long as Charlotte prints money (which would be stupid. They'd probably sell off aircraft and let another airline takeover leases, etc. as Charlotte is extremely valueable. I'm sure any other airline excluding Delta would fall head over heals to have the CLT operations. It's US's most profitable asset, it's biggest asset, and the primary reason airlines wanted to merge was primarily Charlotte)

It's a power grab. And the GA wants to punish us for being a democratic stronghold. All this nonsense is just that; nonsense.

Anyone who thinks 700 flights worth of aircraft (what would you do with them?) will be switched to Nashville, Raleigh, Memphis, Atlanta, Columbus, etc. is extremely ignorant and knows 0 about civil aviation. People know 0 about airlines if they think Charlotte could be transferred to Nashville. Actually, plain stupidity, gullibility, etc.

American will not leave Charlotte because of Orr... They want the low-cost model to continue... And it will....

Old 07-29-2013, 12:56 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
I've not stated that I applaud this move. Please re-read my previous 3 responses to you. I have on the other hand, refused to take the bait that this is some sort of petty politics, a vendetta against Charlotte and/or any of the other distractions that are being brought up to make the city council and mayor the victims in this situation. If this makes me different than the other people you are paying attention to, then so be it. You have a counterpoint. It's a healthy thing to have so "you're welcome".

This is about US Airways and what it wants. Nothing more/nothing less. The locals can either accept the airline is in a position to demand certain controls and concessions on the matter or be willing to stand up to them in a very public manner and say NO and live with the consequences. The fact of the matter is that whether the city prevails in it's lawsuit or not, this fact remains at the end of the day.

The city is now left with two bad choices. It can either accept the commission law as written, or hand it over to the court and let a judge decide it for them. My recommendation, since you are interested, is for them to accept the former and move on. At least in that case, they still have some control over the matter.
Welcome to do what?

Old 07-29-2013, 01:02 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
I'd love to see intelligent conversations regarding the airport but it's very clear it's over the heads of many people which know 0 regarding the topic other than their favorite political team is saying "but Charlotte's too childish and has water balloons".

Sorry to clue some folks in, but Samuelson, McCrory, Tillis, Rucho, etc. do not have a clue neither about the airport. So taking their word as a holy grail is not the smartest thing to do.

I haven't heard a single discussion as to why it needs to change hands or any civilized discussion. Just a bunch of Dems VS. Pubs nonsense.

4 legs good, 2 legs bad.............. 4 legs good, 2 legs better. (animal farm reference)

Old 07-29-2013, 02:41 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Barqpa and the GA are the only people defending this... lol. Everyone else, GOP/Conservatives included, are against this.

I'm from Pittsburgh and the Pittsburgh Airport did everything USAir asked them to do and they still left...

Not sure if this is a good idea... seems like it was rushed and dishonest. Not sure how anyone who lives in the Charlotte area can applaud this move.
That is correct. They can create all the "authorities" in the world but if certain execs don't consider Charlotte the best option to support a hub, it's gone.

It's not at all popular amongst most local Dems and Repubs. Quite frankly, creating an authority could have much value if properly structured with strong Charlotte city proper representation and a few regional players. Instead, they created a riff with the city and are now trying to strongarm through a poorly crafted authority structure (as summarized in the consultants report).

The basic idea of an authority is to enhance the well being of the airport through expanded regional parciticipation, collaboration and cooperation. Yet, these buffoons are are not enhancing anything but trying to fix something that isn't broken with utter disregard for the people who've actually been running the airport (w/Orr)....do the terms pompous, arrogant and crazy come to mind?

It's not going to be a sign and done deal as they expected not to mention the many unintended consequences that could dramatically damage the viability and operational success of the airport.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:13 PM

If nothing is broken at the airport, then why did US Airways write the Airport Authority Bill?

These vendetta, political conspiracy and barrel of monkeys, theories fail to address this singular fact.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:23 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
How many people complaining about the secrecy, also complained when the former mayor, city-council, and certain members of the NC House met behind various closed doors with the Panthers over incentives? If there is going to be a transparency standard, then it ought to apply to everything.

I think the city had from 3/12/2013 to 7/10/2013 or ~ 4 months to work with the House to blunt the Senate bill or even to convince Tillis not to consider it.
Well as far as the first part, closed door meetings cannot be voted on. The vote has to be in the light. That doesn't mean it was right, it means it was legal. Same could be said about the GA with one big exception. They didn't announce their meeting and make minutes available afterwards. That's the way I see it.

I still want to know why US Air things Gaston and Union county making decisions for them as extra cooks makes it less political.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:43 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
If nothing is broken at the airport, then why did US Airways write the Airport Authority Bill.

These vendetta, political conspiracy and barrel of monkeys, theories fail to address this singular fact.
US Airways decided to initiate and write an airport authority bill for Charlotte? What?

Don't shoot the messenger, the consultant was a former US Airways exec who is pro-authority and clearly stated the structure was flawed. Sure, the city doesn't really want to compromise, why would they?

A good read for plenty of legal obstacles/issues confronting the proposed authority. All workable but defintely room for a host of suits:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/d...%20(final).pdf

Old 07-29-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
US Airways decided to initiate and write an airport authority bill for Charlotte? What?
Yes this was already established earlier in this topic.

US Airways is behind this bill. They wrote it. Their reasons have not been made public, but it's reasonable to assume they were not getting satisfaction from the Charlotte city council.

It lays to rest this is some sort of vendetta of the GA against CLT. That idea is nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte