Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 AM

39 posts, read 117,594 times

Advertisements

I play indoor ladies USTA where I live now but cannot seem to get a feel for the tennis world in Charlotte. There don't seem to be hardly any indoor tennis courts. Where do people play USTA leagues in the winter and spring? Is it only a summer sport? Will be living in the Union County Weddington/Marvin/Waxhaw area most likely. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 01:18 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainPaisley View Post
I play indoor ladies USTA where I live now but cannot seem to get a feel for the tennis world in Charlotte. There don't seem to be hardly any indoor tennis courts. Where do people play USTA leagues in the winter and spring? Is it only a summer sport? Will be living in the Union County Weddington/Marvin/Waxhaw area most likely. Thanks
Unless you are coming from the Atlanta area you will find the tennis scene much better than where you are coming from and the women's tennis is on steroids. Yes we play tennis year-round. There are only 3 locations that have indoor courts (all in South Charlotte) although I believe River Run CC in Davidson, NC www.riverruncc.comm has 4 indoor. Olde Providence www.opectennis.com has 5 indoor and considered the nicest tennis facility alough pricey. If it were a little closer to me it would be the club I'd join. Blakeney Racquet and Swim has www.blakeneyclub.com had planned to have 3 indoor courts but I'm not sure if it is completed. Charlotte Indoor Tennis Club has six indoor courts www.charlotteindoor.net . I belong to Weddington Swim and Tennis www.wsrc.com and if you are looking for good womens tennis and the largest number of good players, this is the place. It is also very inexpensive. All the good clubs have mostly clay outdoor courts. Charlotte Tennis Association www.charlotte.usta.com manages all the USTA leagues and the Charlotte USTA is the fastest growing in the SE US. Queen City Tennis League is another www.queencitytennis.org/Default.htm . The Private Clubs also have a Charlotte Interclub league www.charlotteinterclub.com . T2 tennis is another option www.t2tennis.com . The clubs that will be closest to where you are planning to live are Weddington Swim and Tennis (good value and best swim team and tennis program). Give you idea of membership costs, there is an initiation of $1500-2000 and yearly family membership is only $750. Blakeney is overpriced and if you like drama tennis this place is for you. Ole Providence (OP) is hands down the best tennis facilities. Another good club and very reasonable cost is Raintree CC www.raintreecountryclub.com (no indoor). If you prefer the public court route www.matchmakertennis.com . The public court system in the Charlotte metro is atrocious and there are not enough facilities. There has been alot of talk of building a large public tennis facilty in South Charlotte so that Charlotte could host State USTA tournaments, etc. In my opinion the national USTA should pitch in on the costs due to how much money they make on Charlotte tennis. Here is info on public programs ww.matchmakertennis.com . If you are looking for great tennis then you are coming to right area. I play 3-4 times a week and captain a few USTA leagues each year. We moved here 8 years ago and my wife picked up the game and she is very passionate about the game and plays in legaues 2-3 times a week and does a clinic each week.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:28 PM

Wow ZnGuy!! I asked the right forum!! You are a great source of info!! I currently play at a tennis only club that has 8 indoor and 8 outdoor and 2 platform. All hard court which is what I prefer. I am a USTA rated 3.5 player. Tennis in central OH is really big, too. We have 4 daytime 3.5 leagues and 2 4.0 teams plus many other 3.0, 4.5 + and career teams. I did find the WeddingtonSwim and Tennis site online. They looked the most reasonable but that is where I noticed that there were no indoor courts. So where do you play in the winter? Outside? in 35 degree weather? I like to play 2-3 times a week. And would like to get my younger kids signed up to play. We are not looking to buy or build in a neighborhood with a community pool or facilities so we would need to look outside for other options. Maybe I will see you or your wife on the court!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 PM

I grew up in central OH (Mansfield)and lived in Dublin and moved frommChagrin Falls (Cleveland) in 2004 so know the tennis scene there. I've played for over 45 years and played @ Kent. Believe me, tennis is many times better here. If you lived in central OH there is not much clay, mostly hard court. Down here the clay courts rule and people grow to prefer the clay down here, even the college players (unless you are a teen). Most of the clubs in Charlotte have hard courts but again it is mostly HS player that use them. In general most players stray away from playing indoors, I absolutely hated playing indoors when I lived up north and was a big reason why I moved South. Keep in mind the average day temperature in Jnuary here is 51 degrees. I have averaged playing 3-4 times a week outdoors the last two winters.
Weddington Swim/Tennis has 40-50 women 3.5 players, 25+ 4.0s and 15-20 4.5 players to give you an idea of the level of play.
You mentioned your current club having platform tennis which is a blast, I lived across from the Wembley Club in Chagrin, played paddle in the winter which was alot of fun. There are not too many clubs in OH that have paddle, I suspect you either lived in Columbus or east side of CLE, eh?

Old 02-09-2013, 07:50 PM

You nailed it!! Dublin, OH here! I have seen the tennis scene grow quite a bit just in the last 10 years. I do not like clay...probably one of the few.....It is hard on my bad knee as I have no outer meniscus and I fear the "slide". I do feel better knowing that there is year round tennis! Was getting worried that is was mainly seasonal!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:03 AM

4 posts, read 14,279 times
Nice Info. Also are there any clay courts around charlotte - I live near concord mills mall - and have some knee issues - so prefer clay. I recently moved from No. VA.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 AM

492 posts, read 637,833 times
Most clubs here seem to have har-tru or green clay, not red clay courts as you see at Roland Garros. You don't see a lot of sliding. (Blakeney does have two red clay courts.)

ZnGuy pointed out the indoor courts, and there are ladies winter indoor tennis leagues run through queen city. The league I'm in plays at Olde Providence, but you don't need to be a member to play in that league. Olde Providence also has 4 outdoor hard courts, and 27 har-tru courts. They are looking to add platform tennis courts this year.

As for leagues, there is an extremely competitive ladies interclub league that plays mornings on the har-tru courts. There are also many different queen city and USTA leagues. For a brief overlap this spring I'll be playing on three different teams on three different surfaces. There is much more tennis here than even in NorCal, which is saying something.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:02 PM

Indoor tennis during this winter weather http://www.trimptennis.com/pages/index.cfm?siteid=16358

Old 02-16-2013, 10:40 PM

Just curious as to what happens when there is inclement weather and a USTA match is scheduled? Does it get rescheduled? Are there back up courts secured in the event of bad weather? Having never had to deal with this issue during the winter and spring season I am wondering how it is handled "Charlotte" style.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:48 AM

Usually your team captain and opposing captain are responsible for agreeing on date for make up of match or they exchange phone numbers of players in lineup so each line can schedule their own match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte