Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:21 AM

30 posts, read 124,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I was confused by your post because the southern end of Mooresville is at Exit 33 not Exit 39. Are you asking how long it takes to get from Exit 39 to Charlotte? If so, not good during commuting hours. I'd count on at least an hour, maybe more, possibly less. This is a long drive even without the traffic.

If you want to work in Charlotte, and don't like long drives, I don't recommend it. Prospects for it getting better are not good. People keep moving to these places in the hinterlands then expect the roads to be built to handle it. It's not coming anytime soon so the problem keeps getting worse and worse.
We're looking to live around Exit 33 in Moorseville and we would be travelling to Exit 39 in Charlotte - which I have come to realize may be on Rte 85 rather than Rte 77... but he can take 77, I just don't know the exit.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
speaking of not thrilled at all...

you're gonna have a blast around here. A pats fan from Boston complaining about schools, commutes and roadways, all before you even arrive. We can't WAIT for you to get here so you can tell us the rest of the things that are wrong with this area!
Wow. Talk about rude. I actually wasn't complaining. I said I wasn't thrilled with the schools, and if you have children in them, you can understand. I just went through 6 years of Wake County schools which if you know anything about, it would make anyone a little leery.

And have you not driven around Charlotte?? I don't think saying the traffic is insane is at all off base, and again, I'm not complaining. It's fact.

Dude, lighten up. I'm probably not going to run into you at all at any point in time so I think we're good. And btw, I like the area, so keep your ignorant and rude comments to yourself.

Go Pats!!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA2NC View Post
Do you mean exit 39 off I-85? If so, why not look at Concord/Cabarrus County schools?
I'm from the Boston area and I don't think the traffic/roads are half as bad as there....I just went back there in December and couldn't wait to leave! I needed a drink after trying to get anywhere up there!
Yes, I do mean rte 85... I didn't think about what highway, lol.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't even had that on my radar, I'll be sure to look into it!!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 AM

Thanks all for your help so far, you have all given me a lot to think about. Great advice!!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
Again, a commute from Mooresville isn't feasible unless you want your husband to hate life itself.... You could consider somewhere along HWY 73 which runs between Mooresville and Concord. You would want to be closer to Concord though for easier access to I 85. The commute from Concord stinks lately too with all the road construction.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan01 View Post
We're looking to live around Exit 33 in Moorseville and we would be travelling to Exit 39 in Charlotte - which I have come to realize may be on Rte 85 rather than Rte 77... but he can take 77, I just don't know the exit. !
OK then what I said earlier is true. It's a very bad commute. I'd recommend looking closer in.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
OK then what I said earlier is true. It's a very bad commute. I'd recommend looking closer in.
Thanks, I'm definitely getting that feeling that I should. Which stinks because Mooresville has such great schools, including an IB school which is what my son is in now. I just don't know if it is as worth it to my husband as it is for me for my son to go to that particular school.

Which brings me to another question - which school system would you recommend over another, Ballantyne or Concord? Or anywhere outside of Mecklenberg County that is still within a reasonable commute to Exit 39 off of Rte 85?

Old 02-18-2013, 09:56 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,976,202 times
Ballantyne is part of the Mecklenburg county school system. If you are ruling out CMS, then your options would be private schools (of which there are several excellent ones in Charlotte), charter schools such as Lake Norman Charter in Huntersville, or looking in either Cabarrus, Union or York (SC) counties.

In terms of commuting, Cabarrus is probably the easiest.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:55 PM

186 posts, read 436,648 times
Assuming you meant a commute from Mooresville to exit 39 off of I-85, which is Derita/Druid Hills... I wouldn't expect a 20 minute commute ever. I would expect a 40 minute commute, but it could be quicker during off peak times, the longest part of the commute will be getting through the area between exit 36 and 23 and from Mooresville there is no decent alternative to I-77. You might get a 20 minute commute from southern Huntersville or maybe Highland Creek. But the southern Huntersville schools don't seem like they would meet your needs. Plenty of successful people have graduated from CMS schools and I think the criticism is a bit overstated, Charlotte is obsessed with what happens in the school system in a way that other communities don't seem to be. People seem happier with the new superintendent, Heath Morrison, so I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about school quality based on the internet. Visit a school and talk to the staff.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:44 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,963,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan01 View Post
Yes, I do mean rte 85... I didn't think about what highway, lol.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't even had that on my radar, I'll be sure to look into it!!
I second this as well. You could look around the Skybrook, Highland Creek, Winding Walk, Moss Creek neighborhoods and then he would have a few different commuting choices in the morning. As far as schools I would stay in Cabarrus County. You also have a private school (Cannon) nearby but it's 12K a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte