Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 05:32 PM

10 posts, read 19,781 times

Advertisements

So we made the trip to narrow down some areas for our prospective move this summer. We quickly narrowed out Ft. Mill, SC and Ballentyne. My husband said he felt claustrophobic. We really liked Matthews and we stumbled into the Wesley Chapel area as well and also liked that. We are looking for a community with trees, a 4 bedroom house in the 250,000-300,000 range, and good schools. I loved the downtown Matthews area, the fact the the stores I frequent are nearby but not on top of me. We did not get a chance to get to Waxhaw and just a little bit of Weddington. Are there any areas that you can recommend. Any thoughts on Waxhaw?

Priorities: Good Schools, trees, I like a downtown character area, and staple stores like Target and Starbucks within 10-15 minutes.

Do not like: Track home cookie cutter neighborhoods with no trees and houses that all look the same and the houses right on top of each other.

Commute time is not an issue as my husband works from home other than getting to the airport a few times a month.

All help is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 05:52 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,493,300 times
You felt claustrophobic in Fort Mill and Ballantyne? If so, I wouldn't look at Matthews. I guess it is all in your frame of reference. We moved here from LA and thought everything was wide open spaces!

I would take a good look at Wesley Chapel and Waxhaw/Marvin, although Marvin may be higher priced than what you are looking for.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:29 AM

430 posts, read 804,664 times
You can find a house in that range down here for sure. There are ones in my neighborhood that fit your criteria (although not sure if any are for sale). I love Wesley Chapel. I used to live in Waxhaw, and I liked it but prefer where I am now. Waxhaw can mean unincorporated areas too, which cover a large range like way south of the center of town and the northern edge by the Blakeney area.

If you are pretty set on Union County, check out Union County Mommies. It's a great resource, and I made all my friends through it.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:23 AM

810 posts, read 2,293,091 times
As far as Marvin, look at Hunter Oaks subdivision(a few homes for the high 290,000- low 300,000). Also Chimneys of Marvin has a few listings for the low 3's. But The Chimneys lacks trees.
I'm not exactly sure of the price point but try Providence Glen or Providence Grove and there are a few other communities on Providence Rd(Cureton). that may fit some of your criteria but you will be lacking trees and they are trac home subdivisions.
Most of these subdivisions were built as cookie cutter/trac homes in that price point and lacking trees. Some subdivisions are more established; built earlier so trees are there. I think Hunter Oaks since it's a little older has better lots with trees. Also in the Marvin area check out Somerset.
The thing with Weddington is it's beautiful but if you want a nice "new" home you're going to pay for it. Check out Lidenwood(sp?) not sure of the price point. If you want an older, established neighborhood you may be able to find it in Weddington. Which may mean more mature trees with larger lots but an older home which may need updating. There are a few subdivisions in Weddington that were built probably in the 90's that may fit your criteria.
As far as Wesley Chapel check out Wesley Oaks.
Again, you may find your search disappointing since most new communities in that price point are small lots without mature trees. But the upside is they are active communities with lots to do and many children.
The confusing part is if you live in Wesley Chapel, Marvin and Waxhaw you will have a Waxhaw adddress. I believe most of Weddington has a Matthews address.
If you use the site terra vista realty you can type in the subdivisions of your choice.
Good Luck

Last edited by yrgm; 02-19-2013 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 AM

177 posts, read 448,136 times
If I didn't have to worry about driving uptown for work I'd definitely pick Wesley Chapel. Great mix of country and convenience. Nearby Blakeney, Weddingston, and Waxhaw have everything Wesley Chapel doesn't, but they're not too close. Downtown Matthews is great, but certain parts of Matthews are a little on the sketchy side. Don't get me wrong- most areas are ok- just some closer to Independence are not as great.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:21 PM

430 posts, read 804,664 times
Parts of Wesley Chapel have Waxhaw, parts have Monroe, parts have Matthews mailing address. It's so confusing.

yrgm, did you mean Lindenwood? It's WC, Matthews mailing address, and a super cute neighborhood. No amenities I think though. If amenities aren't an issue, Houston Ridge is another one with nice houses and big yards with lots of trees at a good price point.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:47 PM

10 posts, read 19,781 times
Smile Thanks Everyone!

Thanks everyone! Neighborhood amenities are not an issue.....two biggest issues are schools, established but good neighborhood, stores within 15 minutes. It is not that I would mind having the pool/playground just not as high on the priority list. I just hate when they clear a bunch of land and place houses that all look exactly the same right next to each other. I would rather have a great lot and need to fix up some things on the house. We are also pretty active on trails as far as running and biking My ideal situation would be to have my daughter is a great school, have a nice(does not have to be newer) house on a well treed lot, and be able to get to Target, Harris Teeter, and a cute downtown area with the occasional event within 10-15 minutes. Everyones help on this site is very appreciated, and in a couple of weeks when I come back in a few weeks it will give me a lot more productive of a visit

Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 PM

79 posts, read 280,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 New View Post
Thanks everyone! Neighborhood amenities are not an issue.....two biggest issues are schools, established but good neighborhood, stores within 15 minutes. It is not that I would mind having the pool/playground just not as high on the priority list. I just hate when they clear a bunch of land and place houses that all look exactly the same right next to each other. I would rather have a great lot and need to fix up some things on the house. We are also pretty active on trails as far as running and biking My ideal situation would be to have my daughter is a great school, have a nice(does not have to be newer) house on a well treed lot, and be able to get to Target, Harris Teeter, and a cute downtown area with the occasional event within 10-15 minutes. Everyones help on this site is very appreciated, and in a couple of weeks when I come back in a few weeks it will give me a lot more productive of a visit

I would check out Lawson in Waxhaw. They did not bulldoze all the trees down when they built so the are a lot of tress mixed in with the houses. You are 15 mins to Blakeney and about 5 minutes to Wesley Chapel. Also, the schools would be Kensington Elementary, Cuthbertson Middle and High school.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,206,442 times
I like union county. Up here you cant even burn trash in your yard or raise chickens and goats..I luvs me some goat milk.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:52 PM

16 posts, read 50,137 times
Tuscany is a great neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte