Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 04:40 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times

Advertisements

[quote=noname13;28573918]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Quote of the year here. BTW, most normal adults don't compare these things either. If they did, Charlotte would not continue to grow like a weed.

QUOTE]

Charlotte's growth has nothing to do with the articles false claim that it is a "Spring Break destination"! What brings new people to Charlotte is the weather, the family friendly environment which includes tons of sports activities for kids and good schools, relatively low cost of housing and real estate taxes, it's central East Coast location (Midway between NYC and Florida)and did I mention the WEATHER. I don't think people travelling from "Hickory" designates Charlotte as a Spring Break HOT SPOT!
But they do... most families arent going to spend money flying to true spring break destinations every year. Anything within a a 3 hour drive is an easy and affordable getaway.

Kids in Hickory arent thinking about Ft Lauderdale or Orlando every year. When I was young the majority of my classmates didnt take exotic spring break vacations. We played outside and if we were lucky we went to the closest amusement park.

I truly believe some of you are so miserable you cant even process why this list exist. Money is tight, gas is high, families arent spinning globes or throwing darts at a map when plannimg family vacations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 AM

221 posts, read 357,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
The list is for FAMILIES...

The only thing that sycjs is your reading comprehension skills.
I don't ever remember getting a spring break when I was a kid. The elementary school never gave us spring break.
maybe your kids get a week off for spring break where you live , but the first time I went on spring break I was in college, this article "family spring break" is dumb, just like your comment. I would never take my kids to any of those towns on that list, maybe I would take them to Disney World or something , but the list as a whole is far fetched and dumb, because I've been to all those places and i can tell you, your family would not want to go to most of those places in March/April

Last edited by chicagobears; 03-08-2013 at 11:50 AM..

Old 03-08-2013, 11:35 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post
I don't ever remember getting a spring break when I was a kid.
The first time I went on spring break I was in college, so please tell me how do you take your kids out of school for your family spring break ? The article and the whole concept of "family spring break" is dumb, just like your comment.
I never had a spring break vacation as a kid either, but a lot of schools give extra time off around Easter.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:55 AM

221 posts, read 357,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I never had a spring break vacation as a kid either, but a lot of schools give extra time off around Easter.
ok my Bad , here are the days off for kids .

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools 2012-2013 Calendar

Academic Calendar for Mecklenburg County Elementary, Junior & High Schools

Aug. 27, 2012: First Day of School
Sept. 3, 2012: Labor Day Holiday
Oct. 29, 2012: Teacher Workday
Nov. 6, 2012: Teacher Workday
Nov. 12, 2012: Veterans Day Holiday
Nov. 21 to 23, 2012: Thanksgiving Break
Dec. 21, 2012 to Jan. 1, 2013: Winter Break
Jan. 21, 2013: Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
Jan. 22, 2013: Teacher Workday
Feb. 18, 2013: Presidents' Day Holiday
March 29, 2013: Teacher Workday
April 1 to 5, 2013: Spring Break
May 27, 2013: Memorial Day Holiday
June 7, 2013: Last Day of School

"But I still would not take my kids to those places on that list with the exception of Charlotte"
I can think of a 100 better places to go in March & April

Old 03-08-2013, 12:08 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
You need to get over your hometown bias. If a family is going to spend a couple of thousand dollars on airfare, hotel, entertainment, etc. there are much better options for a family vacation than Charlotte.
I tend to agree. If we are talking about a family trip that would involve a few hours in the car, I can see that, as there are some cool things here to do.

But I don't see a family of four spending the money on plane tickets and everything else involved to fly across the country to come spend several days here. I think people willing to spend that much would likely pick another destination.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post
I don't ever remember getting a spring break when I was a kid. The elementary school never gave us spring break.
maybe your kids get a week off for spring break where you live , but the first time I went on spring break I was in college, this article "family spring break" is dumb, just like your comment. I would never take my kids to any of those towns on that list, maybe I would take them to Disney World or something , but the list as a whole is far fetched and dumb, because I've been to all those places and i can tell you, your family would not want to go to most of those places in March/April
Its only dumb because you dont like it.. lol.

It could be a 3 day weekend, who knows... but it isnt for college and while you may take your kids to Disney Land a lot of others are keeping it closer to home.

..and why do you feel the need to dump on other peoples vacations to Carowinds or Charlotte? Why are you so miserable?

Old 03-08-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I tend to agree. If we are talking about a family trip that would involve a few hours in the car, I can see that, as there are some cool things here to do.

But I don't see a family of four spending the money on plane tickets and everything else involved to fly across the country to come spend several days here. I think people willing to spend that much would likely pick another destination.
Who flies to Birmingham and Indianapolis? I think its obvious this list isnt talking about that kind of vacation.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:29 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,117 times
Lighten up people! We are talking about families, not a bunch of rowdy teenagers.

The city has been getting quite a bit of recognition lately so people are curious to check it out for a change of pace and scenery. Families are discovering that plenty of mid-size cities are worth exploring and much cheaper than traveling to DC, NYC, etc.

I know it's hard for some of you to accept the fact but obviously it's happening so get over it and be proud of the fact. There's plenty to do in the area, already mentioned.

And whose to say that they don't combine a few days in Charlotte with a few days in Asheville, Charleston or Myrtle Beach.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
Lighten up people! We are talking about families, not a bunch of rowdy teenagers.

The city has been getting quite a bit of recognition lately so people are curious to check it out for a change of pace and scenery. Families are discovering that plenty of mid-size cities are worth exploring and much cheaper than traveling to DC, NYC, etc.

I know it's hard for some of you to accept the fact but obviously it's happening so get over it and be proud of the fact. There's plenty to do in the area, already mentioned.

And whose to say that they don't combine a few days in Charlotte with a few days in Asheville, Charleston or Myrtle Beach.
Charlotte detractors HATE these stories... unfortunately these types think their opinion holds enough weight to stop families from coming.

If families are stupid for coming to Charlotte during spring break what does it say about those who still live here while complaining?

Old 03-08-2013, 08:49 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Isn't this a place for opinions? Just wondering...

Didn't know that you had to have a particular opinion to post here... apparently, I was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte