Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 AM

430 posts, read 804,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isis297 View Post
Do I see correctly that the elementary schools start at 7:30 whereas the middle and high schools start at 8:45? Here that is flipped and I STILL have trouble getting my ES kids up in time.
Yes, it is weird to get used to this. My oldest is in K this year, and my children are late risers, so it was an adjustment for sure. But you get used to it believe it or not! The worst is when their activities run late, so you have to plan for that as much as you can (try not to get the 7pm soccer practices, etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 06:58 AM

23 posts, read 38,702 times
Oops! I did think the middle school was two years, so thank you.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:52 AM

55 posts, read 86,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen824 View Post
Hi METLIFE people - I am a NY'er who has been looking to move to CLT for a while. Now that we are finally ready it seems there is going to be a large influx of Met Lifer's looking in the same areas at the same time - please don't take offense, but do you have any idea as to how many people are transferring and the time frame? I am probably more flexible than you, so I might want to wait till the dust settles!
Thanks and good luck on your move. I haven't been to any of the schools while in session, but I have visited the areas you are thinking of a number of times and from a NY suburbanite, your company picked an EXCELLENT location to move to...its a great area to have to commute to with nice homes a short drive away. NOTHING of a commute in comparison the the way it is here!
In my office, where 600 MetLife jobs are affected, about 30% of people are considering relocating, with even less considering it after this week. People will be transitioning to NC between this summer and December 2015, or so we've been told.

My friend told me yesterday, however, that MetLife is expecting only 15-20% of employees to relocate, but I have no idea where they got that percentage.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen824 View Post
Hi METLIFE people - I am a NY'er who has been looking to move to CLT for a while. Now that we are finally ready it seems there is going to be a large influx of Met Lifer's looking in the same areas at the same time - please don't take offense, but do you have any idea as to how many people are transferring and the time frame? I am probably more flexible than you, so I might want to wait till the dust settles!
Thanks and good luck on your move. I haven't been to any of the schools while in session, but I have visited the areas you are thinking of a number of times and from a NY suburbanite, your company picked an EXCELLENT location to move to...its a great area to have to commute to with nice homes a short drive away. NOTHING of a commute in comparison the the way it is here!
Anything under an hour would be a dream commute!

Old 03-16-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2004 View Post
My friend told me yesterday, however, that MetLife is expecting only 15-20% of employees to relocate, but I have no idea where they got that percentage.
In my office we have many retirees just waiting it out until the doors close and many who won't go due to the spouse's employment. Then there are a bunch who are considering the move, but without knowing we have job secured there (and at what PAY?!), there is really nothing we could do but wait. And wait. How they come up with a percentage is beyond me. Of course, they can probably count on some higher level people to go who wouldn't have to sacrifice pay.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:01 PM

MamaLlama, same here. We have a lot of people in our office with 30-40+ years with the company, most of whom are retiring. A friend of mine already said she's retiring in the summer...why she won't wait for the severance seems crazy to me, but she doesn't want to deal with the stress and stuff for these next couple of years. We're going to work like dogs to get the work/jobs to NC.

So many people are feeling this weird limbo with what to do regarding relocation, especially since the jobs in NC aren't guaranteed. I also think the company wants to hire mostly NC residents...not just because of the agreement with NC's govt, but because they'll be paid less, have less vacation time/pension, etc. We've seen the NC pay scale and it's lower, but not by a huge amount (my two cents). Some people who relocate will stay at the same pay (with no increase in pay for some time) and some will have to take a pay cut. A couple of my friends have already said they may not relocate just to stay at the same salary, with no increases, for who knows how long.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:17 PM

We saw the pay scales, too, and I agree that they're not THAT much less. The question is where exactly will they put each person in their range/zone? It is not bad if they drop to the top of the zone, but bad if they go to the start of the zone...if that makes any senses. If it is the same pay, it is a no brainer for us. We'd go.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:46 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
This may be a link posted earlier, but here is link to Department of Education Site:

http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/

you can search district and school level data.

It is pretty unbiased.

WHile much of it is test score oriented, you can use certain data points as great info on how a school is doing.

For instance in middle schools, I would focus on how many passed the ALGEBRA test. not all 8th graders take algebra. Obviously, the higher the percentage of algebra test passers, the more academically oriented the school.

For high school, focus on AP courses and students in AP courses. A big school with few AP'ers should be suspect. A smaller school, with lots of AP'ers would be interesting.

Good Luck. Just so you know, NC is wholly in on Common Core State Standards. Not sure about NY.

lln

Old 03-17-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
This may be a link posted earlier, but here is link to Department of Education Site:

NC School Report Cards

you can search district and school level data.

It is pretty unbiased.

WHile much of it is test score oriented, you can use certain data points as great info on how a school is doing.

For instance in middle schools, I would focus on how many passed the ALGEBRA test. not all 8th graders take algebra. Obviously, the higher the percentage of algebra test passers, the more academically oriented the school.

For high school, focus on AP courses and students in AP courses. A big school with few AP'ers should be suspect. A smaller school, with lots of AP'ers would be interesting.

Good Luck. Just so you know, NC is wholly in on Common Core State Standards. Not sure about NY.

lln
Thank you. I have been on that site a lot...for me, it is telling what percentage of students are at or above grade level. Having sent our kids to a school with a large poor-performing percentage of students up here, I know the kind of distractions those kids cause...even from Kindergarten through fourth grade. Yes, our kids did very well, but considering there were so many kids that were not doing well, the teacher had to focus on those kids moreso.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMamaLlama View Post
We saw the pay scales, too, and I agree that they're not THAT much less. The question is where exactly will they put each person in their range/zone? It is not bad if they drop to the top of the zone, but bad if they go to the start of the zone...if that makes any senses. If it is the same pay, it is a no brainer for us. We'd go.
Yeah, the NC scales aren't too bad, in my opinion. Although we were also told that if you are making a lower amount in your current zone, it doesn't mean you still won't take a pay cut to go to NC, since they may only start you off at 85% of the beginning of the NC zone. Not too encouraging for my friends looking to relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte