Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 07:13 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Let's hope he turns out better than many of us fear.
Hell, we've been saying that since Nov 2008 when another unqualified hack was elected to a prestigious position in DC. Look how that's turned out so far...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 07:47 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Looks like Cannon is being groomed to follow Foxx's footsteps meeting with Obama this week asking him for federal assistance for building out Logistics hub

Old 12-14-2013, 09:53 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You folks must not have listened to or followed Watt's career. The man has not had an original thought in his entire career. He is a tool.

This appointment is disgraceful. It has nothing to do with politics, folks. It has to do with unqualified people being appointed to important positions.
Sounds like the typical political appointment to me.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:27 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Sounds like the typical political appointment to me.
Ditto, qualifications are only important when it's the other party doing the appointing.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
And that is putting it nicely!

Look, we all know he was appointed because the NAACP was coming down hard on Obama to appoint more blacks. It is very sad that there wasn't a better candidate than Watt.
There are always better candidates but no perfect candidate. As I'm sure there are more qualified and better people at doing your job than you.

The nice thing about being white is that hiring so-called unqualified white people isn't subjected to such ridiculous scrutiny due to the influence of an organization.

People in power hire and appoint people they like and know and who they feel are capable of doing the job....wake me up when this format changes for any administration and many other organizations.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:15 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Ditto, qualifications are only important when it's the other party doing the appointing.
What a condescending, presumptuous and inaccurate thing to say.

I don't care what party someone is from. If they are incompetent, they are incompetent.

I moaned in agony when Palin got the nomination for VP candidate. Good God.

It has nothing to do with party affiliation as far as competency. I feel the same way about positions being filled in corporations.

There are talented people out there . . . and it is shameful when someone who is unqualified takes a spot that a qualified, competent person should have had an opportunity to at least be considered for.

This appointment is just political payola and it stinks.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
There are always better candidates but no perfect candidate. As I'm sure there are more qualified and better people at doing your job than you.

The nice thing about being white is that hiring so-called unqualified white people isn't subjected to such ridiculous scrutiny due to the influence of an organization.

People in power hire and appoint people they like and know and who they feel are capable of doing the job....wake me up when this format changes for any administration and many other organizations.
White people get a pass. Really. You just can't help but try to turn this into something about race.

As far as "knowing" someone . . . Barack Obama couldn't know Mel Watt very well. Our President didn't even serve one term in the Senate b/f getting elected as President -- and not as though he was spending his time hobnobbing with members of the House.

But that isn't the point. The President typically does not even need to KNOW the people he appoints to these positions . . . the search is to find someone who has the background and qualifications, whether anyone in the White House personally "knows" the candidate or not.

Political pay off of the highest degree.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
White people get a pass. Really. You just can't help but try to turn this into something about race.

As far as "knowing" someone . . . Barack Obama couldn't know Mel Watt very well. Our President didn't even serve one term in the Senate b/f getting elected as President -- and not as though he was spending his time hobnobbing with members of the House.

But that isn't the point. The President typically does not even need to KNOW the people he appoints to these positions . . . the search is to find someone who has the background and qualifications, whether anyone in the White House personally "knows" the candidate or not.

Political pay off of the highest degree.
I didn't bring up race until someone stated that the NAACP pressured Obama into appointing him or more Black people. And yes they do get a pass because no one ever points out a (race) specific organization for pressuring any other president for a certain appointment.

Please explain to me what makes him so unqualified versus who Reagan, Clinton, Bush I and II appointed in certain positions. You might wanna check their records prior to isolating Obama as doing anything out of the norm. You are obviously giving the other presidents absolutely too much credit and seem to have it in for ole Mel. It's worked this way forever, Mel has been in congress for 20+ years and that speaks volume on a resume whether or not you agree with his ideology. Not that credentials should matter be he graduated Phi Beta Kappa from UNC and earned a Yale Law Degree and served on these committees in Congress:

Committee on Financial Services Committee on the Judiciary He previously served on the Joint Economic Committee.

An intellectual midget indeed. I guess if he'd been a VP at Bank of America and helped manage the bailout money he would've been "qualified" and a shoe-in...give me a break. Again, I am sure there are more "qualified" candidates but his credentials kind of speak for themselves and worthy of the position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte