Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times

Advertisements

City Council votes unanimously to support the Panthers with new funding authority provided by the legislature.

$87.5M for renovations with no new taxes. Richardson gets the quote of the night:

"I'm 76. If you really want a tether, say a prayer for me tonight."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 07:22 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,166,000 times
I found an interesting article on why the approval was so smooth:

Quote:
During the first meeting, in January at the Government Center, the Panthers owner reminded city leaders he had not only provided Bank of America Stadium for the finale of the 2012 Democratic National Convention, he also assured it a larger TV audience. (Rain forced the event to be relocated to Time Warner Cable Arena.)
Richardson, who co-chaired the search that led to the hiring of NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, called in a major favor from the commissioner last year. President Obama’s acceptance speech at the stadium was scheduled for the first Thursday in September, the same night the first nationally televised NFL game of the regular season would air on NBC. Pro football routinely attracts the largest TV audiences. Translation: Fewer people would see the city’s big moment on the national political stage if the broadcast went head-to-head with a prime-time football game.
Instead, the NFL moved the game back a day. Richardson explained the genesis of that move to council members in a brief monologue that, no doubt, had the intended effect.
Carolina Panthers owner: I got NFL to move a mountain for Charlotte, DNC - Charlotte Business Journal

Old 04-30-2013, 08:21 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
That's a great story...

but I don't believe it. I'm pretty sure both parties realized this move worked best for both of them.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 AM

459 posts, read 699,380 times
This stadium is over 2000 years old and still in use. I'm sure it hasn't cost that much to maintain

Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 AM

415 posts, read 1,150,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
This stadium is over 2000 years old and still in use. I'm sure it hasn't cost that much to maintain
I can't imagine how they were able to get along without escalators and TV screens back in the day.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:52 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
I've never seen a track that narrow before.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:59 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
No. At least, not exactly. There's so many holes in this I don't know where to begin.

First, a dictator with a legion of slaves tends to not have high labor cost. Yes, you've got to feed, clothe and house your slaves but I bet it's still cheap. I bet the pyramids in Egypt also didn't cost that much.

That's not the stadium it was. It was rebuilt in the late 19th century for the first modern Olympics. It was funded by a rich guy though. It would be like Bill Gates coming behind and sprucing up some other slave built facility.

The seating was originally wood. Maybe St. Paul preached there. That would be cool.

And the owner, the Greek government may not have put much in to the stadium, they haven't done a great job with the other things they built.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:50 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
First, a dictator with a legion of slaves tends to not have high labor cost. Yes, you've got to feed, clothe and house your slaves but I bet it's still cheap. I bet the pyramids in Egypt also didn't cost that much..
No dictators.

The stadium is Greek. At the time the marble stadium was built, ancient Athens was a full functioning democracy. Citizens of that time had more say in the government than we do now.

In regards to the Pyramids, the current thought, because there is no archaeological evidence to support it, was that the pyramids were not built with slavery. Instead, people volunteered to work on it.

-------------

Contrast that to today. Property taxation is the modern form of indentured servitude. Government encumbers your property with taxes so they can give money to the wealthy. If you refuse to pay, they take your home and throw you out onto the street.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:40 AM

328 posts, read 616,385 times
I know that the money the city has given up to the Panthers and the team’s incredibly wealthy stakeholders is a bitter pill to swallow. I feel that just like everyone else. However, when I was thinking about this, I couldn’t help but imagine what it would be like for Charlotte to actually lose its major NFL team. This is a city that rose quickly, and the stadium/team is a testament to its growth and prominence. It would be incredibly difficult for the region’s morale to lose such a major emblem of its identity, particularly as we are still climbing out of a challenging post-recession period. As unsavory as these tax-payer funded dealings feel, I think it might be a necessary evil when we consider the big picture, right?

Old 05-02-2013, 07:44 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,974,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast127 View Post
I know that the money the city has given up to the Panthers and the team’s incredibly wealthy stakeholders is a bitter pill to swallow. I feel that just like everyone else. However, when I was thinking about this, I couldn’t help but imagine what it would be like for Charlotte to actually lose its major NFL team. This is a city that rose quickly, and the stadium/team is a testament to its growth and prominence. It would be incredibly difficult for the region’s morale to lose such a major emblem of its identity, particularly as we are still climbing out of a challenging post-recession period. As unsavory as these tax-payer funded dealings feel, I think it might be a necessary evil when we consider the big picture, right?
I agree with you wholeheartedly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte