Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:29 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I was torn on whether to rep you for your second quote so I did. I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. Just without going through the entire list, the poster was pointing to the highest rated carriers which all use captive agents.

To say in effect, "go with USAA or Amica" because they are high on the list and then say shop independent when you can't buy either that way just struck the logic bell in me.

Nothing wrong with shopping around. I'm captive for 2 more years. I'll shop around then too or maybe it will take three since I just had the claim from bumping the mailbox which cost State Farm a whopping $800.
other than Amica and USAA, which really don't use ANY agent, but customer service reps, a different one every time you call, most do use independent agents. Only ones I see that don't are Nationwide, AllState, State Farm, and Farmers. I thought his point was that an independent agent would be able to shop you most on that list. Chubb and Encompass both use independents. I have no idea what "Country" is, I've never heard of it or switched somebody from it, so I'm sure it doesn't write in NC.

Also note that this list just rates those carriers that the section of population that they polled had claims with. There are many more carriers, that are smaller and more picky, and not out to insure all of America, but focus on a particular sweet spot. You are not going to see them on this list. Its not because they aren't good with claims, but its because they are going to pass on those high risks (which Allstate, Nationwide, and StateFarm do not, because they are more about name recognition). They are insuring those homes by the coast with a space heater, that trailer home, and that 16 year old's mustang. So if you are a very low risk customer, you are pooling risk with the wrong people. There are some tiny mutual companies (none of which I represent, by the way), who are so picky they do personal interviews and deep inspections, and their rates are insanely cheap.

In my opinion, if they polled 5,500 people that had claims, I would be looking for the names not on this list, because I consider myself a low risk, so would therefore not want to be looking for the company with the most claims.... where do you think they're going to make up their money? I have access, but place very little of my clients with any of the carriers on that list, because I usually have much better recommendations. There is one in particular that I would LOVE to send all my business to, because they offer me more commissions, bonuses, tons of perks, etc. But I'm loyal to my customer, and send them to the best fit, and it is hardly ever them.

Also of interest is that Encompass is third, and All State is 13th. AllState is Encompass's parent company, that they use with independent agents.

And by the way, the accident has to be more than $1,800 or involve bodily injury for any insurance points to be assessed. So you should be good on the mailbox. I don't know what the prior one was, but I would start shopping after 2 years. A little trick I use a lot with people that have had accidents: while you do have to bundle your home with your auto with most carriers in NC, most of them will take your home as long as the auto is issued for within the year. So if I have somebody with an accident in April 2 years ago, I can issue their home now, lets say May 8, 2013, and then issue their auto the day after their points come off, let say April 27 2014. Not only will you be saving on your home a whole year earlier, but you won't be paying for those points a day more than you have to.
In addition, staying with your carrier because you had an accident isn't always your best move (it often is, thought), because every carrier has different rating systems, and some are more forgiving. I often temporarily place someone with multiple "incidents" with GMAC, for instance, because they are more lenient, where they would be paying an arm and a leg with my preferred carriers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I can vouch for cc0789 as an agent. I am a relatively savvy shopper and understand more than your average individual and she was able to secure me a much better quote than I could find on my own for both auto & home.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 PM

40 posts, read 87,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Holy cow! Carrier? Did you compute your effective jump?

[This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 18 seconds.]
[This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds.]
State Farm

Old 05-08-2013, 10:11 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinzone View Post
^^^ whoa, whoa, whoa! I know I'm a rookie on this site but I posted the link to JD power's scores. State Farm and Allstate were mentioned in the posts before mine and neither finished near the top. I never once mentioned Amica and gave credit to USAA for being great(but only available to military and their families). USAA and Amica aside, the next 10 or so companies on the list are all independent agency companies. As a matter of fact, Chubb scores as high as USAA or Amica.

Now that I cleared the air, I can get back to life as normal.
I said I founded it slightly bizarre. Didn't mean to imply more than that. I think I also said that I didn't go through the whole list. The agent on the thread is doing good with his posts. I have nothing against him or them or you. Just struck me weird. You can blame me.

Old 05-08-2013, 11:06 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I can vouch for cc0789 as an agent. I am a relatively savvy shopper and understand more than your average individual and she was able to secure me a much better quote than I could find on my own for both auto & home.
I'll except the vouch but do you mind if I do it with you as a standard anonymous internet user? Too many people are claiming to have superior knowledge due to experience on my threads. They may be correct but for now I'm going to give credit for what can be directly displayed.

I am not doubting your savvyness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte