Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:28 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblibgal View Post
This is disconcerting. We are moving to UC from OH. I have twin sons turning 13 this summer. One with PDDNOS dx one without but both have IEP for speech and language pattern delays. Both receive minimal supports but really GOOD supports. One is more Aspie they other mildly delayed. One has an adjusted math curriculum with small class size the other with small study center size. Both get wonderful social skills interventions. Is there anything like this that would compare in the UC school district? We would be slated for the Cuthbertson area.
Unfortunately they won't provide services unless their delays/issues are severe. If your insurance covers it or Can afford it, there are private therapists that specializes in speech and other therapy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 09:03 PM

430 posts, read 803,972 times
If you are moving to Union County, join UnionCountyMommies.com, join the children with special needs forum, and get more specific advice. It is an active sub forum, and there are a lot of mothers with experience dealing with this in the Union County school system.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:53 AM

19 posts, read 39,263 times
Noblibgal-Nothing I know of. We live in Cuthbertson district and my daughter is moderately functioning.. All she gets is speech in school. She really needs social skills therapy. If your children are high functioning, they may not qualify for any services in NC. They use different criteria here. No social skills interventions at school that I am aware of. You need to do your homework now. I don't want to scare you, but you need to prepare and educate yourself now so that you know what's available to you before you move..

Old 06-01-2013, 06:00 AM

Lardo5150, I want to clarify my statement regarding Medicaid. What I meant to say is that children with autism do not automatically receive Medicaid based on the diagnosis. It is based on income in NC. Based on your child's young age, I wouldn't move here if I didn't have to. On a positive note, from what I have heard, transition services and adult services in NC are good. Pittsburgh had very little for transitioning and adults..

Old 06-01-2013, 07:11 AM

24 posts, read 84,483 times
Quote:
This is disconcerting. We are moving to UC from OH. I have twin sons turning 13 this summer. One with PDDNOS dx one without but both have IEP for speech and language pattern delays. Both receive minimal supports but really GOOD supports. One is more Aspie they other mildly delayed. One has an adjusted math curriculum with small class size the other with small study center size. Both get wonderful social skills interventions. Is there anything like this that would compare in the UC school district? We would be slated for the Cuthbertson area.
nope, there is NOT. They will tell you that they don't give a hoot about social skills. My child was also diagnosed with pdd nos and had full IEP back home. They took the kid off the IEP as fast as they could. And it doesn't help to offer to pay because the only integrated preschool is at Marvin elementary (not cuthbertson) and there is hundreds on the wait list. It will be on you unless we all join forces and launch a class action. My younger child also has issues and the private OT that works with my younger child said NC is number 48 in the US in the quality of educational services. I feel sorry for all of us and wish you guys best of luck.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:15 AM

41 posts, read 85,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Unfortunately they won't provide services unless their delays/issues are severe. If your insurance covers it or Can afford it, there are private therapists that specializes in speech and other therapy.
so what do they do with the children that have IEP's? They can't just ignore them and pretend they aren't there? Who typically manages the IEP's ? These kiddos can't be put in a typical classroom and curriculum with no supports, right? Just trying to get a realistic idea of what I am dealing with.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:16 AM

430 posts, read 803,972 times
I know there is a social skills group at my elementary school. Not sure about others, and I know it's hard to get into, but it DOES exist, so it might at others in Union County as well.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:44 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
so what do they do with the children that have IEP's? They can't just ignore them and pretend they aren't there? Who typically manages the IEP's ? These kiddos can't be put in a typical classroom and curriculum with no supports, right? Just trying to get a realistic idea of what I am dealing with.
The school will schedule a meeting with you and go over your iep, set up evaluations of their own etc. Based on their own findings and own level of services they offer, they will set up an iep of their own. (Or 504). In my own experience, I went from CMS in Charlotte to Weddington/Union county and they did this and said there was nothing needed for my child despite apparent delays in language. They quote, "If your child can communicate their needs, they are able to be mainstreamed." I can tell you stories of the mainstreamed kids that clearly need smaller classes, more attention from a teacher etc but they aren't. If you can, there is a wealth of private care available from schools to therapy/speech etc. I use those and have a happy kid. There was no way I would put her in UCPS and hope for the best.

Now my oldest doesn't have any issues. UCPS was excellent for her. I have not the slightest hesitation in recommending Union County schools for kids with no issues or with severe issues.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:57 AM

41 posts, read 85,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
The school will schedule a meeting with you and go over your iep, set up evaluations of their own etc. Based on their own findings and own level of services they offer, they will set up an iep of their own. (Or 504). In my own experience, I went from CMS in Charlotte to Weddington/Union county and they did this and said there was nothing needed for my child despite apparent delays in language. They quote, "If your child can communicate their needs, they are able to be mainstreamed." I can tell you stories of the mainstreamed kids that clearly need smaller classes, more attention from a teacher etc but they aren't. If you can, there is a wealth of private care available from schools to therapy/speech etc. I use those and have a happy kid. There was no way I would put her in UCPS and hope for the best.

Now my oldest doesn't have any issues. UCPS was excellent for her. I have not the slightest hesitation in recommending Union County schools for kids with no issues or with severe issues.

Are they mainstreamed with any supports? The website says they offer support teachers in mainstreamed classes and also smaller modified subject classes if needed. My son receives mainstreamed classes for everything except math. For this he is in a 5-6 person class taught by the actual special needs coordinator. Regular curriculum just modified for each kid in the class. Also, speech/language encompasses social skills lessons/clubs. Pragmatic language and usage.
Where do I start? Do I contact the UCPS director of EC? Call the school directly and ask for meeting? Thanks for all your feedback. Really appreciate the non sugar coated honesty. I have fought for my guys since they were in preschool. I am up for the battle.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:18 AM

I gather that your son is in high school since he is 13. Don't call the UC EC director - no help there. Clueless as to what is happening in each individual school. When we were moving here I called her and she actually lost her temper with me because I was asking specific questions and I guess she felt I was backing her into a corner. I felt I had a right to know what kinds of services my daughter would be provided with. She passed me off to someone else who never got back to me because she went out on maternity leave. I would call the high school- but not the principal. Forget that. Lip service there. Find out who your guidance counselor is and call that person. They WILL help you. If you dm me and give me the first initial of your last name, I can tell you who your guidance counselor will be and give you the phone #. They would probably even refer you to the actual learning support teachers who probably also care and would be willing to help you. I don't want to sugar coat either, and I think the higher functioning kids may not be eligible for services. My daughter is moderately functioning and, even with her apparent disabilities, the situation is less than ideal. I just wrote a long post about all of this and it was deleted before I could post it because I forgot to sign in. I will try to remember what I wrote and post it again later. I agree that Union County schools are wonderful with typical children, but not with special needs kids. From what I have learned, I think this problem is pretty much across the whole state. Very frustrating. On the brighter side, when the kids are mainstreamed, the students seemed pretty receiptive to them and they seem to be treated well by the other students. I am not there at school, but from what I hear, the other kids engage my daughter and treat her well. I don't know of any bullying,. It sounds like your son has aspie qualities, but is not really diagnosed? There are two parent advocates, Nancy Popkin and Kim Tizzard. they work for the Autism Soc. of NC. They can/will help you, but be forewarned that Union Co. is the only county in the area that has no relationship at all with them or the Autism Society, UC school system used to have a person running their autism dept, but they let her go and she wasn't replaced. So, now there is no autism dept. and no contact with any autism organizations. Frustrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte