Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 10:03 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times

Advertisements

I find that it's one of those things that unless they are delayed on every level, they will be mainstreamed into all subjects. They may during the "recess" get time with a tutor to catch up with the rest of the class if needed. As for a dedicated classroom for those that need a little extra? No. Those dedicated classes are for low functioning students. And those are mainly at another school, the name escapes me at the moment.

They may get speech if they aren't able to communicate their needs. If they can communicate their needs no matter how garbled the speech is, they won't need speech. That's what happened to me specifically. (we have both speech and language delays) I had to go private for speech and language. If they require OT, they are a bit better being readily available with that but I hear the school hired therapists aren't really knowledgeable. It's much better to go private. Both CMS and USPS used to be better in their offerings of services. But they did away with LD/ADDHD classes (stupidest idea ever) and have pared down severely the AU and HI classes in the last 5 years. They also pared down the AIG/TD services as well but that's another battle altogether.

In short, budgeting simply isn't there for the middle of the range kids that function enough to be mainstreamed but need that bit of extra to get them all the way there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 11:33 AM

41 posts, read 85,456 times
Quote:
In short, budgeting simply isn't there for the middle of the range kids that function enough to be mainstreamed but need that bit of extra to get them all the way there.
It is quite amazing, really, how different the services are in all the states. Ohio even offers an autism scholarship worth 20K to attend a private school better fitting the needs for your child. Although, our taxes are far higher, too. I would say OH schools do better with the mid range kids than they do the severe. I have many friends that work as parapros that have no experience in special ed whatsoever, but are with these kids all day basically babysitting them. If a child doesn't have a huge behavioral issue and can learn at pretty much the typical level there are wonderful services if you know how to get them. I am so depressed right now. My husband is expecting us to be moved soon and this is a big problem for me. My guys have come so far. The change alone of moving is going to be enough of a shock. When you are raising kids with special needs even giving up an inch of progress is unacceptable. I am all for fading out supports but this is more like pulling the rug out.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblibgal View Post
It is quite amazing, really, how different the services are in all the states. Ohio even offers an autism scholarship worth 20K to attend a private school better fitting the needs for your child. Although, our taxes are far higher, too. I would say OH schools do better with the mid range kids than they do the severe. I have many friends that work as parapros that have no experience in special ed whatsoever, but are with these kids all day basically babysitting them. If a child doesn't have a huge behavioral issue and can learn at pretty much the typical level there are wonderful services if you know how to get them. I am so depressed right now. My husband is expecting us to be moved soon and this is a big problem for me. My guys have come so far. The change alone of moving is going to be enough of a shock. When you are raising kids with special needs even giving up an inch of progress is unacceptable. I am all for fading out supports but this is more like pulling the rug out.
I am the opposite, I don't think they should fade out support at all and ramp it up so that they can be fully functioning on their own to their ability when they graduate. I am really disheartened by the way they are handling all spectrums and learning disabilities. Now that I painted a bleak picture of the schools, don't lose heart. The private side of therapy and services are excellent. And there are many that take insurances/grants etc. There are excellent after school activities they can take part of etc. Plus you are a mom that cares, that right there is huge in your kids world. Whatever the school lacks in you can help your kids achieve at home. Good luck, and like Laura said. Join that Unioncountymommies board and reach out to the others she mentioned.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:45 PM

41 posts, read 85,456 times
Thanks for your help. And just to clarify, I am not for fading supports if they need them!!! ;-) I just meant in the sense that if it is appropriate to fade a support when the IEP goal is met- although we know with our kiddos that in reality they never actually "master" a goal. It is lifelong.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:33 PM

19 posts, read 39,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I am the opposite, I don't think they should fade out support at all and ramp it up so that they can be fully functioning on their own to their ability when they graduate. I am really disheartened by the way they are handling all spectrums and learning disabilities. Now that I painted a bleak picture of the schools, don't lose heart. The private side of therapy and services are excellent. And there are many that take insurances/grants etc. There are excellent after school activities they can take part of etc. Plus you are a mom that cares, that right there is huge in your kids world. Whatever the school lacks in you can help your kids achieve at home. Good luck, and like Laura said. Join that Unioncountymommies board and reach out to the others she mentioned.
What kind of after school and recreational activities are available? I need to get my daughter involved in some activities to get her out of the house and socializing. The only thing I am aware of is WCWAA. I would love some suggestions.

The public school in Union County for lower functioning kids is called The Wolfe School. It's in Monroe. From what I hear, it's a good program, but the district never mentions it. My neighbor works there and that's how I found out about it. It appears that the district would rather keep the lower functioning kids in the self-contained classrooms in their home schools vs. sending them to the Wolfe School. (Money issue?...or maybe long waiting list?)

If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, this is what I would do: I would approach it from two fronts:
- Put together a packet of my child's diagnosis, psych evals, any testing, current IEP, etc. (everything you have), then:

1. - Get in touch with my child's future guidance counselor (for HS age kids) and explain my situation and concerns

- Ask the guidance counselor to find out who I could send this packet to that could review it and advise me of what services to expect based on the packet I send

--I would also...

2. Get in touch with Nancy Popkin or Kim Tizzard (Autism Society parent advocates) and explain my situation and concerns. I would ask them to contact the appropriate school personnel and ask them if they would take a look at the packet and advise you of what you can expect. I think the schools would have a harder time ignoring Kim and Nancy than they would have ignoring a parent. I sent my packet to the EC director and it got lost in the system. The date of my daughter's IEP, they had not one piece of documentation that I had sent.

Anyway, this would hopefully allow you to find out what Weddington, Cuthbertson and Marvin have to offer and determine that maybe one is better suited for your child than the others. If you don't have to, I wouldn't limit myself to Cuthbertson until you find out what all the schools have to offer. Good luck and hang in there.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:10 PM

You can also try to contact these people, this was the one that connected me with some local resources for my daughter. Arc of Mecklenburg They might be able to point you in the right direction. I would call back the Autism Society and see if they have a list for your area of classes, events, get togethers etc. I would seek out Yahoo groups on AU in Union County etc. I did something like this for my area and connected with many people. You might start up your own group for your area.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:48 AM

19 posts, read 39,292 times
Thanks momtothree I will follow up on the leads you gave me.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:48 PM

55 posts, read 161,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblibgal View Post
It is quite amazing, really, how different the services are in all the states. Ohio even offers an autism scholarship worth 20K to attend a private school better fitting the needs for your child. Although, our taxes are far higher, too. I am all for fading out supports but this is more like pulling the rug out.

Best proof I've found yet that DO get what you pay for. I complained about NYC taxes being too high, but of course you have every imaginable amenity available around the corner. Yep, schools are a mixed bag, but there are some truly outstanding ones, depending on the neighborhood. The neighboring states are a bit lower, but you get less by way of public services and accommodations. Taxes are pathetically low here, and predictably, you get nothing. No playgrounds, no libraries, no museums, the Symphony is out of tune, and no police to enforce safe driving. To each his own I guess. I personally feel living here is a big setback in every way. Who needs a bigger house when your life is so much smaller in every other respect.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerro Toco View Post
Best proof I've found yet that DO get what you pay for. I complained about NYC taxes being too high, but of course you have every imaginable amenity available around the corner. Yep, schools are a mixed bag, but there are some truly outstanding ones, depending on the neighborhood. The neighboring states are a bit lower, but you get less by way of public services and accommodations. Taxes are pathetically low here, and predictably, you get nothing. No playgrounds, no libraries, no museums, the Symphony is out of tune, and no police to enforce safe driving. To each his own I guess. I personally feel living here is a big setback in every way. Who needs a bigger house when your life is so much smaller in every other respect.
Where is here?

NC while lower here compared to other states, but there are libraries, parks, museums and police.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:16 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerro Toco View Post

No playgrounds? No libraries? Where are you living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte