Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2007, 06:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,886 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my name is Mike,I currently live in Southern New Jersey and waiting for my home to sell so I can get outta here! Born and raised in the same town,I am looking to move to the Charlotte area to get away from the sprawl of Atlantic City and the people moving from North Jersey/New York. I'm a mechanic with over 25years experience so getting work won't be a problem. The problem I do have finding somewhere near there to call home. I'd like at least an acre,3-4 bedrooms and of course good schools. Fire away...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 06:12 AM

367 posts, read 1,029,499 times
Have a job before you come!! There are lots of mechanics with 25 years expereince looking for work down here! It is dog, eat dog!

Old 11-04-2007, 06:26 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Have a job before you come!! There are lots of mechanics with 25 years expereince looking for work down here! It is dog, eat dog!
I second this. This forum is full of sad stories of people who thought they'd find jobs instantly. Instead, they searched for months. Some even had to move again to find work. Don't be one of these sad stories!

Old 11-04-2007, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 2,886 times
Default Thank you

But do you have answers to my other questions ie: location?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:16 AM

622 posts, read 1,783,029 times
Hi Mike,

It would help if you could indicate a price range. There are quite a number of areas around Charlotte and forum members from these areass can then respond to your question.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:39 AM

102 posts, read 313,275 times
what type of mechanic?? My buddy took about 3-4 months to find a job as a Diesel Mechanic. IN south jersey(i used to live there) there were quite a few places for both diesel and auto. Up here from what I noticed a lot of the diesel fleet areas were around concord. Might be wrong though.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:01 AM

39 posts, read 37,109 times
Default Hi Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morey8 View Post
Hi all, my name is Mike,I currently live in Southern New Jersey and waiting for my home to sell so I can get outta here! Born and raised in the same town,I am looking to move to the Charlotte area to get away from the sprawl of Atlantic City and the people moving from North Jersey/New York. I'm a mechanic with over 25years experience so getting work won't be a problem. The problem I do have finding somewhere near there to call home. I'd like at least an acre,3-4 bedrooms and of course good schools. Fire away...
I have been living in Charlotte for 14 years. Moved here from Pittsburgh. I agree with the other responders....please have a job lined up before you get here. Now that Charlotte is the new hot spot it is really tough to get a job unless you have good connections and even then....

But, to answer your question for housing.....knowing your price range would be helpful. Do you want new construction or used? Also, what is your family's lifestyle? What do you like to do in your spare time? Good schools can be subjective...what is important to YOU in a school? Do you know anyone here yet? Have you visited here before?
sorry to blast you with all of the questions...but this would give the folks on this thread a good idea of how to answer your questions. And, yes, I am a real estate agent but NO I am not trying to solicit your business (I am on a short hiatus from the biz right now) but BECAUSE of my real estate experience I can definitely point you in the right direction --no obligation!

Good Luck to you and Welcome To Charlotte!!

Old 11-04-2007, 08:08 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Mike where to start looking will all depend where u plan to work. If your going to work in the Concord Area, then I suggest you look there harrisburg Concord, and maybe Huntersville, Moorseville area..

If your looking more in charlotte/Pineville there is alot of automotive there then You can live in S.charlotte, & Union County as well.

Schools: you can check the ncreportcard.org

you can also go onto greatschools.net and pull up towns and it will show you parent reviews, school scores etc..also remember with all the growth there are alot of new schools you might not be aware of since they might not be listed on greatschools yet.

you can checc; Union County: great Schools from our Experience, Waxhaw, Wesley Chapel, Indian Trail...also alot will depend on your price range as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte