Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 11:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,558,888 times

Advertisements

Unless someone can show some documented proof how Paula Deen is connected to this discussion on Ratcliff then please do not mix the topics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 11:52 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,666,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You can try to shift this around and take it off track all you want.

I know what Ratliff said. I know what she meant. The question is . . . will anyone admit that this is a much more pervasive attitude than just Ratliff? Actions speak louder than words.

And yes, the white community is voicing their concern over Ratliff's statement. I have no control over what the black community chooses to ignore.
That's exactly what I'm talking about...

You keep trying to make this about more than Ratcliff.

..and I expect the white community to voice their concern over Ratcliff's statement. Just like one should expect blacks to do the same if Bill James made a similar statement.

However, you turned around and said "why isn't their community speaking up on it, their silence says something, implying that all blacks felt this way"

That was a giant leap IMO.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:00 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,549,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
That's exactly what I'm talking about...

You keep trying to make this about more than Ratcliff.

..and I expect the white community to voice their concern over Ratcliff's statement. Just like one should expect blacks to do the same if Bill James made a similar statement.

However, you turned around and said "why isn't their community speaking up on it, their silence says something, implying that all blacks felt this way"

That was a giant leap IMO.
You are entitled to your opinion!

And please don't create quotes for me that I did not write/say.

When James comes out and says something, his constituents don't remain silent. They either say . . . go James, he is voicing what we think . . . or . . . maybe James went over the line.

So yeah, I would think Ratliff's constituents should have something to say . . .

Perhaps it gets complicated b/c her position is "at large." That aside, you are trying to take this discussion somewhere else when the point is . . . Ratliff made a racist, sexist, prejudiced, biased, discriminatory statement.

You are the one who keeps challenging everything I say. If you don't want to discuss it, quit misquoting me and asking for me to clarify what I have already made very clear.

And I am not interested in an apology from Ratliff. I am interested in seeing how positions are going to be filled, from here on out. These folks hold the future of Charlotte in their hands in many ways. I am looking forward to seeing who these terrific forward looking thinkers are that we are going to find to fill positions in our government.

And perhaps even more than that, I am going to be listening carefully to figure out this squirmy definition of "forward-thinking."

Old 06-25-2013, 12:06 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Good luck...
Are trying to say that a racist and clearly prejudiced person should remain in office in the 21st century.

Please consider your answer carefully. I can't wait!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are entitled to your opinion!

And please don't create quotes for me that I did not write/say.

When James comes out and says something, his constituents don't remain silent. They either say . . . go James, he is voicing what we think . . . or . . . maybe James better apologize.

So yeah, I would think Ratliff's constituents should have something to say . . .

Perhaps it gets complicated b/c her position is "at large." That aside, you are trying to take this discussion somewhere else when the point is . . . Ratliff made a racist, sexist, discriminatory statement.

You are the one who keeps challenging everything I say. If you don't want to discuss it, quit misquoting me and asking for me to clarify what I have already made very clear.

And I am not interested in an apology from Ratliff. I am interested in seeing how positions are going to be filled, from here on out. These folks hold the future of Charlotte in their hands in many ways. I am looking forward to seeing who these terrific forward looking thinkers are that we are going to find to fill positions in our government.
apologies if you feel misquoted...

Old 06-25-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Are trying to say that a racist and clearly prejudiced person should remain in office in the 21st century.

Please consider your answer carefully. I can't wait!

Should she remain in office?

She should probably remove herself from hiring for this position but I don't think this is a reason to get fired or remove herself from office.

Do I think she will stay? Yes indeed.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:00 PM

328 posts, read 616,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I got a chuckle out of your statement. Most African Americans are so used to being overlooked and trampled-on it has created a chronic numbing effect concerning true equality. But when the opposite happens or there seems to be a sense of equality it then creates a sense of apprehension or what is your angle?

Most times people with the power/money (white males) can hire or manipulate the system to get who they want....difference is they don't actually have to (or will ever) admit it in public.
I agree with this. I'd argue that the uproar is due to a situation like this disrupting the hegemony.

And anyway, I don't think what she said is that much of a big deal. It's not like white men are systemically alienated from positions of power.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:07 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,722,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast127 View Post
I agree with this. I'd argue that the uproar is due to a situation like this disrupting the hegemony.

And anyway, I don't think what she said is that much of a big deal. It's not like white men are systemically alienated from positions of power.
Apparently you've overlooked that she said that she wants a non-white male. That excludes all females, but apparently you think that that's just fine, as long as the white males get theirs.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:40 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,210,658 times
If I wanted to run for the office she would have already ruled me out because of the race I happen to be...We don't do that stuff any more. She really needs to leave the public eye and take her mouth with her to show good faith

Old 06-25-2013, 01:49 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,771,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
If I wanted to run for the office she would have already ruled me out because of the race I happen to be...We don't do that stuff any more. She really needs to leave the public eye and take her mouth with her to show good faith
You don't "run" for office to become Manager. You interview. You can however run against her for her office if you'd like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte