Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 10:36 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,642 times

Advertisements

Hello I am 20 and my family is considering moving to Charlotte. Although some may find Richmond VA a nice place (and good for you) but I personally do not enjoy it here. We usually get overlooked for BIG events, they go to DC or Hampton Roads area. Unless you're going to hang out around Shockoe Bottom or Carrytown there really is not much. I'm not here to bash or anything but I was wondering if anyone here has been to Richmond and can relate.

I see Charlotte is several times larger in population so what are the usual places for clubs or just good entertainment? I'm not looking for a list or anything just a "in general" prospective. Is it more diverse? I've been living here my whole 20 years so I am just hoping for something more fast paste and (IMO) better looking. I guess I'm looking for a more modern setting.. tall buildings, good night life, people my age, fast paste, up to date with technology good colleges and for gods sake some diversity.. It is kind of hard to explain but I hope someone can understand. thanks

Last edited by Anders15; 01-27-2009 at 10:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:47 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
I can only tell you that my young adult children never had a problem finding something to do. You just have to be careful where you go. They stayed in established areas where major events were happening. Our family does not do the bar thing.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:58 AM

285 posts, read 800,399 times
There's not much paste in Charlotte

Old 01-28-2009, 05:40 AM

327 posts, read 1,197,846 times
I've only visited Richmond once, so I can't compare the two cities. What I can say is that uptown (center-city) Charlotte is unbelievably clean and mostly new looking. There are plenty of bars, nightclubs, restaurants in the uptown area. Charlotte also has the Panthers and Bobcats and does get many major concerts, collegiate basketball events, car shows, etc. I don't think you'll be disappointed here.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:34 AM

415 posts, read 1,150,665 times
I would say that Charlotte is DEFINITELY not more beat up than Richmond. It is a far newer and cleaner city.

On the other hand, Charlotte is a bit more of a generic city than Richmond, which, to me, has a funky vibe about it with all the old buildings and the history.

I visited the area around Short Pump, and to me that is kind of what you can expect to find in most of the suburban areas of Charlotte.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,699,470 times
Charlotte's downtown area is very clean and safe. The young professional crowd stays around the downtown area and they are a few bars open. Diversity wise....not much in Charlotte. Yeah there are blacks and whites, but that's pretty much it, except a few Indians there isn't much out there. I would recommend Atlanta if you are looking for a more urban upbeat lively crowd. I do love Charlotte, but it can get a bit boring sometimes.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:49 AM

257 posts, read 669,552 times
I agree with Comfort that Richmond probably has a better "vibe" than Charlotte in the sense it has some really cool historic neighborhoods such as the Fan and Carytown. Most of Charlotte has been torn down and rebuilt, so if you like brand new then you will really like it here. I do think Charlotte has more opportunity than Richmond for a new grad or 20 something.

As for entertainment, Charlotte would get more acts than Richmond because of the size of the arena. Atlanta always gets the really big acts and Charlotte is usually passed over for these (check out the Bobcats Arena website). Sometimes the act will decide between Raleigh or Charlotte which is similar to the Richmond/HR decision.

As for diversity, I think Richmond may win this one. I still see Charlotte as more of a black/white city. One thing I really got used to in VA was the large Asian/Indian population. I am sure it is growing in Charlotte but not as abundant.

I still say move down, check it out and if you don't like it then move back or go somewhere else. It's good to experience different places and find out what you really like.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:10 AM

23 posts, read 51,527 times
Hey Ron

I'm actually from Richmond (Richmond and Glen Allen) and although I haven't lived in Charlotte, Charlotte is a cleaner city with more things to do at night. Richmond's ok, but to me I never got that "safe" feeling walking around downtown late night. I wouldn't say that Charlotte has more diversity than Richmond, but who knows what it'll be like in 5 years or so. I agree w/ hokiehigh, I'd move down and check it out - Keep us updated because I'm considering moving there as well.

I will tell you, I lived in Richmond, Sarasota and now Tennessee (work/kids) and there's always going to be things you miss about your previous residence. In Richmond I always found myself driving up to DC to go to various events. Charlotte IMO has a lot more to offer than richmond (Pro football, basketball, kids museums, restaurants, etc) and I heard there's a possibility for a baseball team in the future??? Any truth to this anyone?

Good luck

Old 01-28-2009, 08:22 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,802 times
Charlotte (uptown) is a lot more modern and clean then Richmond.

We are a "real" city with an NFL team, major Fortune 100 headquarters, etc. Definatley not the same type of city.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:50 AM

257 posts, read 669,552 times
Not dissing Charlotte but we have to give Richmond some props. As of 2006, Richmond and Charlotte had the same number of Fortune 500 HQ's.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...une500/cities/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte