Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 06:00 PM

21 posts, read 29,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by appstate1998 View Post
That's what I was thinking.

One wears skinny jeans, loves mustaches, listens to She & Him, and drinks PBR.

The other wears hemp clothing, loves natty dreads, listens to Widespread, and drinks home-brew.
True. But I like skinny jeans AND home brew. Yuh- ohhhhhhh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 06:11 PM

21 posts, read 29,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
You may want to really do some research off this board before considering a move to Gaston (Belmont, Mt. Holly, Cramerton, etc.). These are pleasant, small towns, with about a block each of walkable downtowns. Belmont has an organic market, but it is very small and expensive and is the only one in the area. Most towns have small farmers markets open for a few hours a week. There are a few parks with trails and a couple of sections of the Carolina Tread trail run through this area. That is about the extent of what matches your needs here.

Outside of the small downtowns, there is little to no walking around here. Sidewalks are a rarity, and the ones that do exist are in pretty bad shape for the most part. Walking is not part of the culture here, and folks drive way too fast through neighborhoods, often turning relaxing walks into real life games of *******. You need a car for everything.

This part of the Charlotte region has not experienced the influx of transplants that have transformed other areas. Most people who live here were born here and there is a noticeable distrust of outsiders. The area is politically very conservative. The Democrats here are like Republicans everywhere else and the Republicans are ... well, very, very conservative. I'll leave it at that.

I've been here since 2007 and married a local, so feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.

Edit: the starred out word above was an 80s video game about a frog trying to cross the street. Hilarious that it got blocked out.
This is exactly what I needed to hear. I actually grew up on a farm in Monroe, and spent a couple years in downtown Charlotte before we moved to East Atlanta. Atlanta has been perfect fpr us and we have gound a great intown neighboehood that we love. its just so freaking far from family and we want our kids to grow up knowing relatives. As a few people have stated, I think Asheville suits us better as far as our wish list, but we are so desperate to find something that would give us access to all of our family spread out through both Carolinas. Charlotte would give us approximately an hour drive to EVERYONE. So we are kind of grasping at it and trying to make it work. It sounds as if it might not be the best fit. I appreciate all the feedback you have all given and I'm sorry for moments of confusion. We think we know what we want, but we might be a little unrealistic. The search continues!!!

Old 07-29-2013, 07:57 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theswirvings View Post
This is exactly what I needed to hear. I actually grew up on a farm in Monroe, and spent a couple years in downtown Charlotte before we moved to East Atlanta. Atlanta has been perfect fpr us and we have gound a great intown neighboehood that we love. its just so freaking far from family and we want our kids to grow up knowing relatives. As a few people have stated, I think Asheville suits us better as far as our wish list, but we are so desperate to find something that would give us access to all of our family spread out through both Carolinas. Charlotte would give us approximately an hour drive to EVERYONE. So we are kind of grasping at it and trying to make it work. It sounds as if it might not be the best fit. I appreciate all the feedback you have all given and I'm sorry for moments of confusion. We think we know what we want, but we might be a little unrealistic. The search continues!!!
If this area would work for what you want, spend a day or two driving around. Get out & check things out. What works for one might not work for the next person & vice-versa.

I spent most of my life 10 miles from Center City Philly, in South Jersey, & Kings Mountain works for me.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:10 AM

533 posts, read 935,850 times
If your scouting, just avoid Cramerton atm for first time impressions lol. South fork river looks horrible atm...still a few roads closed from the flooding. I moved to Gaston county recently (Charlotte native). I love SE Gaston county (Southpoint township). It's everything SE Charlotte was 20 years ago...2 lane roads, large lots, privacy, country, culture. The only culture in SE Charlotte atm is Super Targets, traffic etc all stemming from how many out-of-state lemmings a land developer can cram onto 1 acre of land...lol

Last edited by Sloante74; 07-30-2013 at 08:53 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 09:13 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
If your scouting, just avoid Cramerton atm for first time impressions lol. South fork river looks horrible atm...still a few roads closed from the flooding. I moved to Gaston county recently (Charlotte native). I love SE Gaston county (Southpoint township). It's everything SE Charlotte was 20 years ago...2 lane roads, large lots, privacy, country, culture. The only culture in SE Charlotte atm is Super Targets, traffic etc all stemming from how many out-of-state lemmings a land developer can cram onto 1 acre of land...lol
Yeah, right now Cramerton's in need of drying out.

All of the towns out here are recovering from the collapse of textiles & the recession, Each town is doing it differently.

The larger towns are a blend of natives & transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte